2022 Free Agency

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

As to the cap: was reading about the “Top-51 Rule”—which was into effect as of 4pm yesterday. 

I’m no cap wonk, but the looks of the wording is that the Top 51 salaries on a team as of that date, counts as the “ceiling” and that teams had to be below the league set number by then. 

If this is the case—and please clarify if you know different—then the players the Bengals currently on the roster (not sure about recently added players) constitute the cap limit. I didn’t see what happens if teams go past this going forward. 

I bring this up, because of the “cut Waynes/Hopkins and get more space” comments. Would they really benefit from that? Thanks for the education 

Yes, cutting expensive players like Waynes and Hopkins would let the team spend what would have been their salaries on other players. The NFL cap is what's called a "hard cap" in that every dollar spent will show up at some point. The cap for 2022 is about 208 million plus any money rolled forward after not being spent last year and minus any incentives from last year that weren't on the cap last season.

The rule of 51 means only the highest 51 cap numbers count. It's used because teams can have up to 90 players on their roster during the off and preseason. There is a cap compliance date just before the first regular season game when everyone on the roster counts toward the cap. That's the 53 man active roster, the practice squad, anyone on IR or PUP, plus dead money from previously cut players. The Bengals are going to be mindful of the regular season rules and not spend to the max based on the rule of 51. 

Hurst is a solid signing. Looks like only a 1 year deal though. I don't like 1 year deals. Always think you should do 2. (imagine if we had done 2 years deals on Ogunjobi and BJ Hill last year). 1 year deals just mean you pay premium the next season. 

Watch: Hayden Hurst TD catch gives Falcons 17-0 lead

24 minutes ago, Griever said:

Let's lock him up tonight!

Reading where the Pats are “not interested” but that the Fins are very. 

Before they sit down at Jeff Ruby’s, they will know his number. I think the Bengals’ will be right there. 

Archived