2022 Free Agency

15 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

I'm asking this because I really don't know. Is he really all that?

I mean I know that to say he would fill a need is a huge understatement, and apparently he's the best option out there, but is this a perennial All Pro we're missing out on?

Fair question IMHO.  I'm not really in the know either, and I was honestly just getting caught up in the buzz of it all.

9 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Anyone have guesses for a plan B?  Can't think they are only thinking him?

Seems like he was the best available in Free Agency right now, but I'm guessing there will be other cuts/etc as time goes on and teams struggle to make the cap...also some additional cuts due to the magical June date that has been brought up at times.

Reiff for another year? 

Not ideal, but maybe get lucky in the Draft?

36 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

I'm asking this because I really don't know. Is he really all that?

As far as talent, Armstead is considered the top and believed to be the most expensive. I personally favored going after Trent Brown, as I ideally like my RTs 360 lbs instead of 320 lbs ... but the Collins fit seemed like a perfect match because he had worked with Pollack and the LSU connection. 

The only thing I can think of is that the Bengals want to pay him the 10 he was owed, and now he wants more like 18 a year ... and it's a difference in what he and they believe he's worth. For the record, I would put the market for Collins at around 15. So I would offer him a 3 year 45 mill deal personally. 

The crazy thing is that the Bengals could have had Collins for 3 years at 10 mill a year, very cheap for good OT. But reports are Dallas wanted a 2nd rounder. But there isn't any OT that the Bengals can draft at #63 that is likely better than Collins. Hopefully their gamble doesn't come back to bite them in the ass. 

If the Bengals lose out on Collins it's going to be be because some other team (the Dolphins or Broncos?) offer him a huge contract that is backloaded with fake money he will never see.

Something like a 6 year 120 million dollar deal, where they plan to cut him after 4 years with 60 million still on the table. A deal where the yearly payouts are like 15,15,15,15,30,30. 

Since the Bengals don't do these fake back loaded contracts, sometimes their offers look "cheap" to free agents, who get seduced by having a splashy # they signed for, but never really see in their pocket. 

51 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

I doubt that Collins would have spent two whole days in Cincinnati if the numbers weren't close at least as a yearly average goes. My guess is it's the same old situation where the Bengals don't want to give up a ton of guaranteed money.

They will have to give up a sizable amount of guaranteed money. No way around it. The fact he has been here 2 days tells me he was offered a very fair deal. Can’t blame the guy if he is still hoping for the stupid deal from a desperate team. 

I think he signs, or my name isn't Jake Browning! 

On a serious note though, he's in town to be introduced tomorrow or Monday. They are just finishing up the contracts in my opinion. We were going after him in a trade until Dallas cut him for some odd stupid reason, and are scrambling to write up his contract. 

Free agent signings are so much more exciting when you have a good team, and people actually want to come here. I am stuck with the Sacramento Kings......... 

1 minute ago, Gary said:

I think he signs, or my name isn't Jake Browning! 

On a serious note though, he's in town to be introduced tomorrow or Monday. They are just finishing up the contracts in my opinion. We were going after him in a trade until Dallas cut him for some odd stupid reason, and are scrambling to write up his contract. 

I hope that's the case, but I'm guessing he's "Goin' Fishin'" in Florida tomorrow.

Should have traded for him. It was dumb for Dallas to cut him instead of trading him. If they trade him they take all the dead money in 2022 but get a draft pick. If they cut him with a post-June 1 designation, they can put some of the dead money in 2023. But not until June 1. So during free agency it doesn't give the Cowboys any more cap room and the total dead money remains the same. They will have some more cap space in June to sign their rookies but if they were offered even a 5th or 6th round pick, they should have taken that deal.

Not to mention a trade would be better for Collins' new team since he was still under contract for 3 more years. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Should have traded for him. It was dumb for Dallas to cut him instead of trading him. If they trade him they take all the dead money in 2022 but get a draft pick. If they cut him with a post-June 1 designation, they can put some of the dead money in 2023. But not until June 1. So during free agency it doesn't give the Cowboys any more cap room and the total dead money remains the same. They will have some more cap space in June to sign their rookies but if they were offered even a 5th or 6th round pick, they should have taken that deal.

Not to mention a trade would be better for Collins' new team since he was still under contract for 3 more years. 

The reason he was cut instead of traded, Dallas has a bad cap situation, They saved alot of dead money by releasing him.

There is no financial benefit to Dallas with a trade this week, however. A deal made official before June 1 would have saved the Cowboys about $1 million under the cap, but caused Dallas to eat $14 million in dead money. A post-June 1 trade would actually create $5 million in cap room, but $5 million in dead money for 2022 - but because that would come after the NFL Draft, would offer no other immediate benefit.

45 minutes ago, snarkster said:

One thing the Fish can't offer Collins...a chance at a Super Bowl ring.

So the choice is play home games in the 70's and 80's temperature wise.Versus the 20's and 30's in Cincinnati.

6 hours ago, Kochman said:

There is no financial benefit to Dallas with a trade this week, however. A deal made official before June 1 would have saved the Cowboys about $1 million under the cap, but caused Dallas to eat $14 million in dead money. A post-June 1 trade would actually create $5 million in cap room, but $5 million in dead money for 2022 - but because that would come after the NFL Draft, would offer no other immediate benefit.

How can Dallas trade someone they have already released?

Archived