2022 Free Agency

The offseason free agency is now a solid permanent "A".  Anything else (Gilmore, a n Edge, another 3Tech, 4th WR, etc.) Is icing.  Any chance they bring back Spain to force Carman to fight for the LG spot?  Hopkins on a re-worked deal?   Signing Gilmore (or other starting CB)would open up the draft in a huge way and you'd have to think they could probably still make it work cap-wise by cutting Waynes.

* If they're gonna go BPA at 31, I think you could still make a case for Tyler Linderbaum or Zion Johnson, if one of them are still there (doubtful).

*  Really like TE Trey McBride, but would probably trade down a bit before taking him and pick up an extra pick or two (ditto OT Trey Smith)

*  EDGE and WR are much more of a possibility for me at 31 than this time last week, which may be a good thing because of the depth/qualify at those two positions this year.

41 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Here's kind of a crazy swing for the fences idea ...

Trade our 2nd rd pick to Seattle for DK Metcalf (who is disgruntled). Then we would have the best WR squad ever assembled on an NFL team. 

Well, unless Joey can throw 2 or 3 balls at the same time, there's unlikely to be enough to feed Metcalf, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Hurst and Boyd.  One play, one ball, one pass, one target.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

The offseason free agency is now a solid permanent "A".  Anything else (Gilmore, a n Edge, another 3Tech, 4th WR, etc.) Is icing.  Any chance they bring back Spain to force Carman to fight for the LG spot?  Hopkins on a re-worked deal?   Signing Gilmore (or other starting CB)would open up the draft in a huge way and you'd have to think they could probably still make it work cap-wise by cutting Waynes.

* If they're gonna go BPA at 31, I think you could still make a case for Tyler Linderbaum or Zion Johnson, if one of them are still there (doubtful).

*  Really like TE Trey McBride, but would probably trade down a bit before taking him and pick up an extra pick or two (ditto OT Trey Smith)

*  EDGE and WR are much more of a possibility for me at 31 than this time last week, which may be a good thing because of the depth/qualify at those two positions this year.

Arguably biggest roster unknown is the Bengals true feelings on Jackson Carman.

If they truly believe he will be a good starter, then they are basically finished at OL (outside of a cheap vet or mid-round pick). If he solidifies left guard, then they have 5 good younger starters and all but Jonah Williams are under contract for the next 3 years.

If they think Carman is trending towards bust, then a first-round OL and/or a veteran starter is still very much a need. 

Or it could be that they don't know what to think on Carman. In which case, it makes sense to have a one-year deal for a vet and wait in the draft. 

1 minute ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Well, unless Joey can throw 2 or 3 balls at the same time, there's unlikely to be enough to feed Metcalf, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Hurst and Boyd.  One play, one ball, one pass, one target.

I think the magician could make it work..😎

1 minute ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Rather use part of that money to resign Riley Reiff.   Depth at OT is so rare. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

If they truly believe he will be a good starter, then they are basically finished at OL (outside of a cheap vet or mid-round pick). If he solidifies left guard, then they have 5 good younger starters and all but Jonah Williams are under contract for the next 3 years.

If they think Carman is trending towards bust, then a first-round OL and/or a veteran starter is still very much a need. 

Or it could be that they don't know what to think on Carman. In which case, it makes sense to have a one-year deal for a vet and wait in the draft. 

I dont think LG is unknown.

I have strong feeling they sign Spain back to mentor or rotate there..

Great scenario....Spain 72.2pff Carman heir apparent...

Spain for 1yr 4.5 or 2yr 8mil deal maybe.

Carman on that rook contract makes this happen

Spain wants to play here and Bengals like his play....

19 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

…unless you have Mixon throwing TD passes.  😎

I think all of you are making a huge assumption that Karras is going to play center.  My bet is he will start at guard and only move to center if Hopkins is flailing or injured.  Carman is now the understudy, and Spain is probably gone.

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I think all of you are making a huge assumption that Karras is going to play center.  My bet is he will start at guard and only move to center if Hopkins is flailing or injured.  Carman is now the understudy, and Spain is probably gone.

ZT said that Karras is our center.

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Missed that.  My bad. 

Hell, I just saw they released Hopkins.  I've been busy watching too much basketball!

So, yeah...they gonna need another guard.

Even though ZT said that Karras is our center, I’m still hoping we sign Ravens’ or Brown’s center.  Start Karras at G, but can move to center, if needed.

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

I don't necessarily believe Carman is a bust, but I wouldn't go to camp penciling him in and handing him a spot.  Even if it's signing Spain to a reasonable contract or drafting Zion Johnson (who I think is the IOL in the draft most able to step in and play), he's gonna have to battle for a spot.  At worst you've got another OG ready to step up in case of injury.  The chance all five OL's are ready to answer the bell come opening game is about 50/50 (if mot a little worse).  A reasonable new deal for Hopkins might be another option).

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Yeah, our WR core looks amazing until one of Higgins, Chase or Boyd is injured and your starting Irwin or Taylor or Morgan or Thomas or PWilliams is starting on a weekly basis.  I would be hunting a vet to upgrade the #4 spot on a one-year contract and draft a developmental youngster with speed for the 5th spot (to take over as #4 in the future).  I'd let Irwin, Taylor. Morgan, Thomas and Pooka battle over the 6th spot and practice squad.

33 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Yeah, our WR core looks amazing until one of Higgins, Chase or Boyd is injured

Since the team revolves around Burrow, I think you can never go wrong with getting him as many weapons as possible. Plus a good 4th WR also means that teams can't blitz as much, as they need coverage over the top - so that ends up helping out the OL (it's all connected).

Since the Bengals play more 4 and 5 WR than any other team I would wager, they also need more WR's than a typical team would that uses 2 and 3 TEs a lot (which the Bengals never do). So the Bengals should probably carry at least 8 WR.

40 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Yeah, our WR core looks amazing until one of Higgins, Chase or Boyd is injured and your starting Irwin or Taylor or Morgan or Thomas or PWilliams is starting on a weekly basis.  I would be hunting a vet to upgrade the #4 spot on a one-year contract and draft a developmental youngster with speed for the 5th spot (to take over as #4 in the future).  I'd let Irwin, Taylor. Morgan, Thomas and Pooka battle over the 6th spot and practice squad.

They'll be intriguing Wideouts in R3

They're so many good prospects in day 2.

Right now I want to LG gap filled with Big Q and Carman duo...Big and Lil (maybe not) bro..

My wish list for the remainder of free agency is JC Tretter, Jarran Reed, and Tre Flowers. Let's finish solidifying the O-line and add an interior pass rusher and CB who covers TEs well. Then we can draft a CB and S for the back end and TE and WR for the offense. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

My wish list for the remainder of free agency is JC Tretter, Jarran Reed, and Tre Flowers. Let's finish solidifying the O-line and add an interior pass rusher and CB who covers TEs well. Then we can draft a CB and S for the back end and TE and WR for the offense. 

Very wishful yes..

If it were to happen Lord knows what they can accomplish in  the next 2yrs or more..

Archived