2022 Free Agency

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

All the OL talk has been about protecting Joe which is the important part.  But what about the running game.  I expect an improvement there also. 

Yup. Overlooked but 100%. Collins and Cappa are ferocious run blockers. Mixon gonna have actual holes to aim at on both sides of the line next year. 

17 minutes ago, membengal said:

Yup. Overlooked but 100%. Collins and Cappa are ferocious run blockers. Mixon gonna have actual holes to aim at on both sides of the line next year. 

and you know how much better our pass game will benefit from a freed up Joe Mixon?

Hard to believe Trettor is still out there.

That's almost too much to wish for...........or is it?

8 hours ago, snarkster said:

Yeah, our WR core looks amazing until one of Higgins, Chase or Boyd is injured and your starting Irwin or Taylor or Morgan or Thomas or PWilliams is starting on a weekly basis.  I would be hunting a vet to upgrade the #4 spot on a one-year contract and draft a developmental youngster with speed for the 5th spot (to take over as #4 in the future).  I'd let Irwin, Taylor. Morgan, Thomas and Pooka battle over the 6th spot and practice squad.

On top of that, to make sure they keep building a good team, they have to start thinking about those Burrow, Chase and Higgins contracts.  Can they re-sign all three?  If not, I'm assuming they keep Burrow and Chase, both of whom will be signed as at LEAST top 3 at their position.  Gotta bring in players this year and/or next that can potentially replace Higgins in the future and be depth now.

7 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

and you know how much better our pass game will benefit from a freed up Joe Mixon?

Hard to believe Trettor is still out there.

That's almost too much to wish for...........or is it?

I read somewhere the Trettor practiced very little or at all last year due to some injury.  He played in all of the games, but with all of the new pieces on the line and a new scheme for him, I'd think he'd need a lot of practice.

10 hours ago, happyrid said:

Or it could be that they don't know what to think on Carman. In which case, it makes sense to have a one-year deal for a vet and wait in the draft. 

I think this is very likely to happen, bring back Spain and let him and Carman battle it out. Carman's biggest problem last year was he camp into camp unprofessional and overweight, to the point that Spain had to have a conversation with him about being professional. Pollack recently said he likes how Carman is handling himself so far this offseason, but I don't want him getting complacent and want Spain back so that we at least have a starter there and at best have a good rotational guy.

26 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

On top of that, to make sure they keep building a good team, they have to start thinking about those Burrow, Chase and Higgins contracts.  Can they re-sign all three?  If not, I'm assuming they keep Burrow and Chase, both of whom will be signed as at LEAST top 3 at their position.  Gotta bring in players this year and/or next that can potentially replace Higgins in the future and be depth now.

Boyd is under contract thru 2023, I think you have to think about his replacement also.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I think this is very likely to happen, bring back Spain and let him and Carman battle it out. Carman's biggest problem last year was he camp into camp unprofessional and overweight, to the point that Spain had to have a conversation with him about being professional. Pollack recently said he likes how Carman is handling himself so far this offseason, but I don't want him getting complacent and want Spain back so that we at least have a starter there and at best have a good rotational guy.

I think Carman also had a hard time knowing what to do.  Hopefully, he will learn, but some guys never figure it out.  For that reason as well they should bring back Spain.  If Carman outperforms him the job is his, but I wouldn't pencil the guy in.  Too risky based upon past behavior.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I think Carman also had a hard time knowing what to do.  Hopefully, he will learn, but some guys never figure it out.  For that reason as well they should bring back Spain.  If Carman outperforms him the job is his, but I wouldn't pencil the guy in.  Too risky based upon past behavior.

I don't remember where I heard it, I think it might have been one of Lap's podcasts, but the Bengals like to present multiple fronts on the line and not be locked into one type of blocking scheme. That tends to be something rookies aren't going to be good at right away. I suspect that Carman, if Pollack is right and he's taken things more seriously this offseason, will be much better this year in that regard. 

But yes, given his history I also want Spain brought back, but not even just because of that but because someone is bound to get hurt and having a guy off the bench who you can pencil in to start is just smart team management.

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I think all of you are making a huge assumption that Karras is going to play center.  My bet is he will start at guard and only move to center if Hopkins is flailing or injured.  Carman is now the understudy, and Spain is probably gone.

Hopkins got cut.

From Dehner's piece this AM...

Collins signing set up the opening day offensive line: LT Jonah Williams, LG Jackson Carman/D’Ante Smith/rookie/other, C Ted Karras, RG Alex Cappa, RT La’el Collins. Regardless of what happens with the left guard spot, that’s four players who ranked in the top quarter of their position in PFF grade last year.

Collins completes the trifecta of giving offensive line coach Frank Pollack his type of player. The personnel staff handed a list of the top-tier players they wanted Pollack to rank and find his favorites. Last year, he partially took the existing pieces and tried to make it work with his scheme. Now, he picked his own players to fit into his system. Pollack admitted that’s a big deal. Collins called Pollack the best line coach he’s had in the league by a long shot and that admiration went both ways. Continuity of staff and scheme to go with better pieces to front the wide zone increase the chances it takes off.

Ooooooo, that's interesting...

6 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Id's cut Waynes, offer Trettor and Gilmore, and sign whoever agrees first.  If it's Gilmore, I offer one-years to Spain &/or Hopkins.

7 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

So who are they signing now that they wanted the cap space, or is this just to free up the cap space to sign the rookies that are eventually drafted?

Won't be surprised if they start dipping into the next level of FA signings with that money.

1 minute ago, BengalBuck said:

NFL news on twitter is reporting that the Bengals made a strong offer to Stephon Gilmore.

Yeah I was gonna say Gilmore or Reed….maybe both? 

Something is surely in the works. 

Archived