2022 Free Agency

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

zxz5

This is what gets me.  Analysts keep saying teams like the Chiefs and Saints will have to deal with the cap “later”.  When “later” comes, it seems like they just restructure some contacts and they’ve got unlimited cap space…I don’t get it.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

This is what gets me.  Analysts keep saying teams like the Chiefs and Saints will have to deal with the cap “later”.  When “later” comes, it seems like they just restructure some contacts and they’ve got unlimited cap space…I don’t get it.

Getting more like MLB all the time. There, this supposedly rock-solid “Luxury Tax” was supposed to keep things under control. So, in order to keep things status quo, they just increase the “Luxury tax” ceiling. And richer teams still go past it. 

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

It confused me as well...but the way I see it is like a credit card...at some point you have the pay the balance...the minimum payment is basically kicking the can down the road and hope you are not required to pick it up...

I know my comparisons suck but that's  how I see it.

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

He was already the highest rated QB in the NFL with no OL ...

so with one, he might throw for 6,000 yards and 60 tds 

zxz2

Got DANG can we just appreciate how good this guy looks in stripes for a moment tho

44 minutes ago, DanvilleBengal said:

It confused me as well...but the way I see it is like a credit card...at some point you have the pay the balance...the minimum payment is basically kicking the can down the road and hope you are not required to pick it up...

I know my comparisons suck but that's  how I see it.

It is much easier to kick the cap issues down the road when the overall cap is rising. But when we had a year like 2020 when the cap dropped dramatically then teams like the Saints had an all out purge. Mind you, they did a damn good job at it but they had to let go a lot of talent like Hendrickson. 

Alsways have to remember that there is a 'cash' spend and a 'cap' spend. They dont really have to ever balance becuse teams can continually re-do contracts. The Bengals, and other teams like it, tend to track the cash spend closer tot eh cap spend. 

Gilmore is getting long in the tooth and didn't do much for Carolina. Unless he comes cheap, for backup money, Bengals should look for someone younger. Stephon isn't the same player he was 3 years ago. 

What's going on with Tre Flowers? I thought he'd be back by now. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is much easier to kick the cap issues down the road when the overall cap is rising. But when we had a year like 2020 when the cap dropped dramatically then teams like the Saints had an all out purge. Mind you, they did a damn good job at it but they had to let go a lot of talent like Hendrickson. 

Alsways have to remember that there is a 'cash' spend and a 'cap' spend. They dont really have to ever balance becuse teams can continually re-do contracts. The Bengals, and other teams like it, tend to track the cash spend closer tot eh cap spend. 

I've heard these terms, but what's the difference b/w cash spend and cap spend?  Is cash just referring to guaranteed money or signing bonuses?

I'm not an expert on the salary cap gymnastics that teams do, but I think this is how it works.

Cash spend = amount of cash spent in a season

Cap spend = amount of salary cap allocated in a season

Example:  Bengals sign a new punter for a 5 year contract - base salary is $750,000 per year with a signing bonus of $10,000,000

Cash spend for the 1st year = 10,750,000  (salary + signing bonus)

Cap spend for the 1st year = $2,750,000  (salary + signing bonus / 5)

Every year after:

Cash spend = $750,000 (salary)

Cap spend = $2,750,000  (salary + signing bonus / 5)

The Bengals are one of the teams that the the two numbers are roughly equivalent to each other when you go through the entire roster and add everything up.  Other teams constantly create more cap room by redoing player contracts and using signing bonuses, voidable years, and back-loaded bonuses & salaries.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Gilmore is getting long in the tooth and didn't do much for Carolina. Unless he comes cheap, for backup money, Bengals should look for someone younger. Stephon isn't the same player he was 3 years ago. 

What's going on with Tre Flowers? I thought he'd be back by now. 

Wasn`t Flowers the one who covered tight ends so well? Would think he would be a priority too.

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I've heard these terms, but what's the difference b/w cash spend and cap spend?  Is cash just referring to guaranteed money or signing bonuses?

It is mostly the treatment of signing and roster bonuses. Most commonly, you see a team restructure a contract from being say a $15M base salary to a $15 roster bonus - then the bonus is carried over the term of the contract and not just all in the current year. Still the same $15M cash spend. And teams will add a 'voidable' yera to the contract so the bonus gets stretched out to an additional year. End of the day, whatever cash you pay out HAS TO hit the cap, it is just a question of what year. 

This is just what i have gleaned from reading articles on this - no expert by eany means. But just from a logical standpoint, you can't create cap space backwards in time, only forwards in time so some teams kick the can down the road more than others do. 

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, Flowers is a large CB and not the most fluid. But he's an excellent cover guy on kicks and good in pass coverage vs TEs.

That D vs. TEs is huge…even if that’s all he can do.  I thought he played well against Andrews and Kelce.  I’ve erased George Kittle from my memory.

Archived