2022 Free Agency

As far as resigning Flowers, that is a really good move. 

Ogunjobi isn't getting starter money imho, it's too late in the offseason for that. He may get a Eli Apple type deal, but he isn't getting much more than that.

Only guy left that I would not hate if he returns if we don't get Oline early is Spain.

31 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

With the way prices are going up year to year right now, it might be worth it to just tag Bates every year until he's not good anymore. 

Unless they’ve changed the franchise tag rules, that is not really an option.

The franchise tag for Bates this year is $13,544,000.

For 2023, it would be the average of the top five safety salaries OR a 20% increase ($16,252,800)…whichever amount is larger.

To be tagged for a third year, it’s the average of the top five player salaries, regardless of position.  

For 2022, the tag amount for QBs is $29,703,000, which is more than $4.5 million higher than the QB tag in 2021.  with the stupid-large contracts recently signed, that will increase significantly.

Tagging Bates for a third year could easily be for more than $35 million, if not $40 million…and that ain’t happening.

🦗

16 minutes ago, Cricket said:

To be tagged for a third year, it’s the average of the top five player salaries, regardless of position.  

I didn't realize it wasn't position specific. Yeah, that wouldn't work then if it's based on all players. 

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

…only starting with the third year of being tagged.

Since all of the top 5 are QBs I guess that's why you only even see the possibility being discussed for QBs, where then it could be worth it to tag yearly for 5 years even or more. 

11 hours ago, snarkster said:

The Bengals value WR significantly more than safety though.

Do they value #2 WR who clearly is a WR1 if Chase wasn't here, more than they value Safety?

That's one of the questions.

But the one for me is will Bates/Higgins Agent try to force the guaranteed money issue with Higgens too?

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Since all of the top 5 are QBs I guess that's why you only even see the possibility being discussed for QBs, where then it could be worth it to tag yearly for 5 years even or more. 

3 is the most times a player can be tagged in his career. So someone like Drew Brees couldn't be tagged by the end of his career though he wasn't looking to get away from the Saints. 

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Do they value #2 WR who clearly is a WR1 if Chase wasn't here, more than they value Safety?

That's one of the questions.

But the one for me is will Bates/Higgins Agent try to force the guaranteed money issue with Higgens too?

We don't know what Bates is asking for but a contract similar to Justin Simmons would be reasonable. The Bengals can afford that. When it's time for Tee's 2nd contract, it would be Boyd or Mixon facing release, not Bates, unless his play drops off.

It will be Mixon. He’s definitely not getting another contract from the Bengals that keeps him here and pays him top 10 RB money. It just won’t be possible and it will be easier to draft a replacement for him than it is Higgins and Boyd. 

it’s a shame cause everyone loves Mixon but that’s just the reality of the situation. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

We don't know what Bates is asking for but a contract similar to Justin Simmons would be reasonable. The Bengals can afford that. When it's time for Tee's 2nd contract, it would be Boyd or Mixon facing release, not Bates, unless his play drops off.

True, all we know is it's rumored that the guarantees are the sticking point. I suspect Joe gets an extension this year (earlies they can do it is after the regular season but before the playoffs) but Tee will have to wait. We also have some linebackers coming up for extension that we are going to have to make some tough choices on.  My point is though that we might run into some of he same sticking points as far as getting Tee and extension that we are for Bates because they share the same agent.

1 hour ago, BBR said:

It will be Mixon. He’s definitely not getting another contract from the Bengals that keeps him here and pays him top 10 RB money. It just won’t be possible and it will be easier to draft a replacement for him than it is Higgins and Boyd. 

it’s a shame cause everyone loves Mixon but that’s just the reality of the situation. 

Slot WRs are also easer to find than WR1 types. I suspect Boyd will not get another contract here either.

My guesses:

Team will exercise Jonah Williams 5th year option and give him an extension after 2022.

Bates gets extended by July 15

Pratt will get a new deal if he's willing to take 6-7 mil per year. If he wants more, then he plays out 2022 and leaves next year.

Team will give Wilson a new contract after 2022. Probably the same for Awuzie and Hilton.

Team will exercise 5th year options on Burrow and Chase when time comes. I think Burrow waits until after 2023 season. Higgins gets paid after 2022.

Boyd and Mixon are on their last big contracts with Bengals. Probably true for Bell and Reader too.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:11 PM, Cricket said:

Unless they’ve changed the franchise tag rules, that is not really an option.

The franchise tag for Bates this year is $13,544,000.

For 2023, it would be the average of the top five safety salaries OR a 20% increase ($16,252,800)…whichever amount is larger.

For 2022, the tag amount for QBs is $29,703,000, which is more than $4.5 million higher than the QB tag in 2021.  with the stupid-large contracts recently signed, that will increase significantly.

Tagging Bates for a third year could easily be for more than $35 million, if not $40 million…and that ain’t happening.

🦗

Update regarding the third year franchise tag.  ESPN just reported that Derek Carr signed an extension.  Will average $40.5 for next three years…which is fifth highest QB average pay.  So, by the time Bates would hit his third year of being tagged, the pay will be approaching $50 million.  Still not happening. 🥷

The owners resistance to guaranteed contracts is the antiquated rule that all the guaranteed money to be paid in the future has to be placed in an escrow account at the beginning.  The rule probably made sense years ago but not today.  The NLFPA has fought to change that rule but the owners have been hesitant since it gives them leverage, but over the last few years more owners have jumped on that bandwagon to change the rule.

The Brown Family Trust might be willing to give Joe a $300 million fully guaranteed contract but are they willing to put $300 million in a bank account to hold for him and then turn around the next year and put another $200 million into an account for Chase?  And down the line.

5 hours ago, westside bengal said:

The owners resistance to guaranteed contracts is the antiquated rule that all the guaranteed money to be paid in the future has to be placed in an escrow account at the beginning.  The rule probably made sense years ago but not today.  The NLFPA has fought to change that rule but the owners have been hesitant since it gives them leverage, but over the last few years more owners have jumped on that bandwagon to change the rule.

The Brown Family Trust might be willing to give Joe a $300 million fully guaranteed contract but are they willing to put $300 million in a bank account to hold for him and then turn around the next year and put another $200 million into an account for Chase?  And down the line.

I dont believe JB will get a guaranteed 300mil deal.

Nor will Chase gets a 200mil deal.

Burrow.... 6yr..300mil .150mil guaranteed.

Chase.... .5yrs 140mil.70 guaranteed.

Higgins....4yrs..80mil...40 guaranteed

That's a helleva lot of money but it keeps the offense explosive for years.

Higgins up first..

On 4/14/2022 at 8:14 AM, westside bengal said:

The Brown Family Trust might be willing to give Joe a $300 million fully guaranteed contract but are they willing to put $300 million in a bank account to hold for him and then turn around the next year and put another $200 million into an account for Chase?  

th-4.jpeg

Archived