2022 Free Agency

My list so far....it's a weird one

1. Josh Dobbs-QB-Stealers: He competes at backup QB and provides mobility. Can keep on PS if he doesn't win the job

2. Tre'Quan Smith-WR-Saints: They have a terrible cap situation. He has some upside. Played for Walters at UCF. Would have to come very cheap

3. Evan Brown-C-Lions: Started 12 games for the Lions when Ragnow was out this year. 12 starts on 755 snaps this year, 72.4 pass blocking grade. Just 25 and should come very cheap. Experience at G as well. 

4. James Daniels-RG-Bears: Has played all 3 interior spots. Just 25 as well. Instant upgrade and long term versatile starter in the middle

5. Tom Compton-T/G-49ers: Highly rated this year (79.9 overall rating). Played with Pollack on Jets 2020

6. Calais Campbell-3T-Ravens: Played for Hobby at Jax 2017-2018. End of career guy who would be perfect for a rotation at a small price tag. 

7. Olivier Vernon-DE-FA: Played for Anarumo at NYG and MIA. End of career guy who would be perfect for a rotation at a small price tag. 

8. Donte Jackson-CB-Panthers: Good run defender, Just 26, they are loaded at CB and will let him walk

PFF rates Jessie Bates as the 11th best player to enter the Free Agency market this year ...

11. S JESSIE BATES III, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bates was looking for an extension this past offseason, but the Bengals instead chose to prioritize the player they drafted one round after Bates in 2018 — edge defender Sam Hubbard. The Cincinnati defense took a major step forward in 2021, with free-agent additions Trey Hendrickson and D.J. Reader wreaking havoc on opposing quarterbacks and cornerback addition Chidobe Awuzie outperforming the man he replaced in Washington Commanders cornerback William Jackson III. Will Bates get his due from the Bengals, or will he be the latest homegrown player to depart?

Strengths:
– Range in coverage
– Ball skills
– Plays on the ball

Weaknesses:
– Inconsistency
– Tackling

Scheme Fit/Role:
SINGLE-HIGH FS/SPLIT SAFETY: Bates showed in 2020 that he can be an elite center field safety with the range to get to the sideline and make plays on the football. He is an ideal player for the Seattle Cover 1/Cover 3 style of defense, which is becoming increasingly less prevalent. He would also thrive in any system that runs with split safety shells, which makes him an ideal fit for most of the league in some shape or form.

Recent Injury History:
Bates has barely missed a snap in his NFL career and has little to no real injury concerns.

Contract Projection: Franchise tag (1-year, $12,911,000)

Bottom Line:
A year ago, Bates was coming off a career year and looked like the best safety in the game, but it represented a major outlier from the rest of his career and regression hit this season. He is still an impact coverage player at the position who fits in some way in pretty much every scheme in the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Bengals should tag Bates, then give him a multi-year deal at the tag number. 5 years, 65 mil slightly backloaded would be fair for both sides.

I wouldn't mind if the team got in the JC Jackson derby. If they don't get him, maybe someone like Rasul Douglas. 

For the O-line, I think we all expect the team to re-sign Spain. I'll guess he costs about 6 mil per.

Bradley Bozeman would be a good signing. He'll be in line for 10 mil or so and would weaken the Ravens. We could save over 6 mil by cutting Hopkins.

James Daniels is young and versatile. Maybe 8 mil or so will get him onboard.

Bring in Gronk if he wants to play here. Re-sign Uzomah in either case. They would cost about 8 mil for Gronk and 7 for CJ.

We should try to keep Hill or Ogunjobi, more likely Hill. 

I think we could get a good starting RT in trade for a 2nd or 3rd rounder from a cap strapped team. Someone like Ramczyk or Havenstein.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals should tag Bates, then give him a multi-year deal at the tag number. 5 years, 65 mil slightly backloaded would be fair for both sides.

I wouldn't mind if the team got in the JC Jackson derby. If they don't get him, maybe someone like Rasul Douglas. 

For the O-line, I think we all expect the team to re-sign Spain. I'll guess he costs about 6 mil per.

Bradley Bozeman would be a good signing. He'll be in line for 10 mil or so and would weaken the Ravens. We could save over 6 mil by cutting Hopkins.

James Daniels is young and versatile. Maybe 8 mil or so will get him onboard.

Bring in Gronk if he wants to play here. Re-sign Uzomah in either case. They would cost about 8 mil for Gronk and 7 for CJ.

We should try to keep Hill or Ogunjobi, more likely Hill. 

I think we could get a good starting RT in trade for a 2nd or 3rd rounder from a cap strapped team. Someone like Ramczyk or Havenstein.

On Bates..

5yrs 70mil..14mil a yr.

If not he's going to get a deal elsewhere..

Seahawks gave adams $18 mil per. That’s why they couldn’t get a deal done with bates last summer. Bates and his agent want money comparable to what adams got. That’s the problem. What you all are proposing the bengals would do in a second and have likely offered…

Went through various lists of potential 2022 Free Agents and picked out some names the Bengals may possibly be interested.  I'm sure there are some names I missed, some that will be re-upped or tagged and others that will be added as we move to the draft and beyond.

Tackles

Reilly Reiff (CIN)
Terron Armstrong (NO)
Orlando Brown (KC)
Duane Brown (SEA)
Trent Brown (NE)
Morgan Moses (NYJ)
Eric Fisher (IND)
Germain Ifedi (CHI)
Brandon Shell (SEA)
Bobbie Massie (DEN)
Cornelius Lucas (WAS)
Cam Robinson (JAX)
Joseph Noteboom (LAR)

Centers

Ryan Jensen (TB)
Ben Jones (TEN)
Brian Allen (LAR)
Bradley Bozeman (BAL)
Mark Paragis (CAR)
Alex Karras (NE)
Austin Blythe (KC)

Guards

Quinton Spain (CIN)
Laken Tomlinson (SF)
Brandon Scheff (WAS)
Connor Williams (DAL)
James Daniels (CHI)
Andrew Norwell (JAX)
Austin Corbett (LAR)
Alex Cappa (TB)
Trai Turner (PIT)
Mark Glowinski (IND)

Cornerbacks

Eli Apple (CIN)
Darius Phillips (CIN)

JC Jackson (NE)
Stephon Gilmore (CAR)
Carlton Davis (TB)
Darious Williams (LAR)
Casey Hayward (LV)
Bryce Callahan (DEN)
Donte Jackson (CAR)
Charvarious Ward (KC)
DJ Reid (SEA)
Linval Jose[h (LAC)
Rasul Douglas (GB)
K'Waun Williams (SF)
Ahkello Witherspoon (PIT)
Levi Wallace (BUF)
Sidney Jones (SEA)

Defensive Tackles

Larry Ogunjobi (CIN)
BJ Hill (CIN)
Zach Kerr (CIN)
Akien Hicks (CHI)
Folorunso Fatukasi (NYJ)
DJ Jones (SF)
Sebastian Joseph-Day (LAR)
Maliek Collins (HOU)
Geno Atkins (???)
Sheldon Richardson (CLE)
Tim Settle (WASH)
Daquan Jones (CAR)
Maurice Hurst (SF)

Safeties

Jesse Bates (CIN)
Marcus Williams (NO)
Tyrann Mathieu (KC)
Marcus Maye (NYJ)
Steve Wilson (PHI)
Quandre Diggs (SEA)
Jordan Whitehead (TB)
Justin Reid (HOU)
Jayron Kearse (DAL)
Patrick Peterson (MIN)
Xavier Woods (MIN)
Jabrill Peppers (NYG)
Ronnie Harrison (CLE)

Tight Ends

CJ Uzomah (CIN)
Mike Gesicki (MIA)
Dalton Schultz (DAL)
Rob Gronkowski (TB)
Davis Njoku (CLE)
Zach Ertz (ARI)
Gerald Everette (SEA)
Evan Engram (NYG)
Maxx Williams (ARI)
Mo Alie-Cox (IND)
Tyler Eifert (???)
Robert Tonyan (GB)
DJ Howard (TB)

Quarterbacks

Jameis Winston (NO)
Teddy Bridgewater (DEN)
Marcus Mariota (LV)
Mitch Trubisky (BUF)
Jacoby Brissett (MIA)
Colt McCoy (ARI)

3 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Even if they signed him and moved Williams to the right side, I'd still consider an early-round swing tackle to groom despite the presence of Carman & Smith.  I desperately want a highly-upgraded OL, but I also want to build quality depth.

Can always start the rookie as a guard to see if he holds up there.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

What am I missing here? Why would the Chiefs let him go?

They're interested if he is let go.  It is highly unlikely he is released, the reasoning is how much he may ask for to get a deal.  KC will be doing CAP gymnastics to keep him, but if he drops he's a top target.

Chiefs will tag Brown if need be. He's not going anywhere. Terron Armstead on the other hand will be in free agency.

Drafting a college tackle and sticking him at guard is a mistake the Bengals have made over and over. Let's stop the insanity. The thinking seems to be that tackles are used to blocking in space and usually have long arms so they'd make a great pass protecting guard. But Adeniji, Jackson, Smith, and Johnson prove otherwise. 

Archived