2022 Free Agency

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

- I am surprised to still see Terron Armstead and Trent Brown available. Perhaps they are both related to Collins as well, and fall back options for teams. Of the 3, I am likely in the minority as I would prefer Brown as a RT.

Then I think you also sign Bozeman and have a starting OL of ...

Jonah -- Karras -- Bozeman -- Cappa -- Brown 

- There is also no reason why the Bengals shouldn't be able to secure DB Tre Flowers, I wouldn't imagine him being expensive.

Would rather have Tretter than Bozeman.  Solid, but at a lower cost.

Yeah, I'd prefer Tretter to Bozeman. Bengals should be willing to trade a day 3 pick for Lael Collins.

To answer a question earlier, the legal tampering period only applies to free agents to be. Players can always recruit but coaches and executives can't tamper with players under contract for the 2022 league year. 

If we add Tretter and Collins, the O-line is fixed and we can look for a couple of CBs. We can still clear almost 17 mil in cap space by cutting Waynes and Hopkins. Brandon Wilson shouldn't sleep too deeply either. 

As to the cap: was reading about the “Top-51 Rule”—which was into effect as of 4pm yesterday. 

I’m no cap wonk, but the looks of the wording is that the Top 51 salaries on a team as of that date, counts as the “ceiling” and that teams had to be below the league set number by then. 

If this is the case—and please clarify if you know different—then the players the Bengals currently on the roster (not sure about recently added players) constitute the cap limit. I didn’t see what happens if teams go past this going forward. 

I bring this up, because of the “cut Waynes/Hopkins and get more space” comments. Would they really benefit from that? Thanks for the education 

I am no expert either and if I remember correctly the Top 51 Rule is in effect from opening day (Yesterday) till the first week of the season in September and then goes to Top 53 Rule.

And the 51 rule is based on salary cap hit.  IIRC if you release a guy his cap hit comes off the list which for Waynes is ~$15 million.  His Dead Money is $5 million so subtract that and the Bengals would be ~$10 million.  Since you have 50 players now the player that was 52 on the list moves up to 51.

But as I said I am not an expert.

Archived