2022 Free Agency

This offseason seems relatively complicated but I think it's only complicated in 3 places. OL, DT and Corner

[B]QB[/B] should be an easy spot. Brandon Allen will be back. Jake Browning is even an interesting long term guy who is more mobile than I realized. I doubt they add anything but a Undrafted free agent but I would have my eyes on another veteran who provides something different than Allen. I want a guy who has more mobility and can extend plays. A veteran who would compete with Allen in camp but be ok with a place on the practice squad would be ideal. For me that is one guy. Josh Dobbs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX9UWImi4KE. Super athletic, strong arm, very smart.....not great touch. 

[B]RB[/B] is another easy one. The top 4 guys are all signed. All of them are worth a roster spot with Evans ascending to a role as an impact 2nd RB next year akin to Pollard and Mattison. I am not in love with Elijah Holyfield but he's been on the roster since October and is familiar. I don't expect or want much investment here otherwise. Our RBs coach, coached Shemari Brooks at Tulsa. He's destined for UDFA status but had some decent stats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8RUrV3-r0. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4244599/shamari-brooks. With Williams and Perine set to be free agents in 2023 a 2nd UDFA with some higher upside would be nice. 

[B]WR[/B] at the top three are settled and arguably the best in the league. Stanley Morgan is a restricted free agent who should be back to continue his role of about 20 snaps a game covering kicks and blocking at an elite level. The team added Trent Taylor for next year and he gives some stability as a backup slot and PR should we not find anyone more dynamic. Irwin and Pooka Williams round out the returnees. Both have upside. Both Mike Thomas and Auden Tate are free agents. Of the 2 I assume Tate finds an increased role elsewhere and Thomas is back to compete in camp. For additions I assume a mid round pick, I wouldn't do anything above Rd 4. In the Free Agent pool I would have my eyes on Tre'Quan Smith for the 4th WR. He underperformed in New Orleans but has some upside and was coached by Walters at UCF. 

[B]TE[/B] is simple as soon as they re-sign CJ. He is such a focal point of the locker room and solid enough on the field that it should be an easy decision dependent on price. If they ran it back with CJ-Sample and then Wilcox-Washington and Moss at the position they would be fine for 2022. The problem is CJ is 29 and Sample is a FA after next year. Scotty Washington's upside is intriguing but I assume they draft a 3rd TE in the 4-6 round range with the hope that he ascends to the top sooner than later. This is a deep TE class and they like their 3rd TE to play lots of teams, so that rules out veterans. 

[B]DE[/B] should be simple but I see people wanting to draft a pass rusher in the early rounds under the premise of "you can never have enough pass rushers". That's only true if you have unlimited resources or limited needs. We have neither. Our top 3 pass rushers are signed through 2025, beyond them we have Sample, Kareem, Hubert and Ray and even Spence is only 28 and played decent in limited snaps last year. DE is the perfect position to leverage our new found position of contender and bring in a veteran who can make an impact on limited snaps. That list is long and will only grow with cap casualties (Ingram, Houston, Vernon, Hughes, Griffen, Addison, McPhee, Pierre-Paul)

[B]LB[/B] is another easy one. Injuries resulted in depth. Bachie, Johnston and Evans are all various forms of free agents but I would expect all back. That leaves you 7-8 deep. With as deep as we are here I would expect additions only on the edges. If one of the top LBs drop they might go for him in 1 or, far more likely, they just add UDFAs or young veterans others let go. 

[B]S[/B] is probably the messiest of these positions, even with the starters entrenched. Bates will be back despite his status. I think they liked what Allen gave them and with his retirement there are 2 backup spots available. The model of grabbing a veteran with starts who has lost their starting role makes sense. Tre Flowers will probably play some here as well and they should look to re-sign him. A pick in the 4-6 range with the hope that they can ascend is also a huge probability. 

[B]K/P/LS[/B] should all be set. Clark Harris will re-sign, and Chrisman will take over the punting role. 

The messiest positions will be the ones that most likely get the 1-3 round draft pick investment. 

OL should get the biggest focus of the offseason. Jonah Williams is the only one that is a pretty sure bet to start. The other 4 are wide open. Of the 2022 group there are 2 sections. 1-The capable veterans who can be decent starters with better talent around them (Spain-Reiff-Hopkins). 2-The young guys with some upside (Carman-Adeniji-Smith-Hill). Then you add in Prince and Johnson who are young veterans with a good number of starts under their belt. You essentially have 1 guy you can count on and 9 that you can't. But other than Hill and Johnson it probably wouldn't surprise you at all if the other 7 put in good starts next to better players. The OL couldn't be more messy. The wisest investments are probably long term guys at C and RT. The FA market is loaded at Guard, limited at C and barren at T. We will likely be targeting longer term deals, and over the past few years that has been guys under 27. The likely options

C
27 and under: Bozeman, Allen
27+: Jensen, Jones, Paradis
G
27 and under: Williams, Daniels, Cappa, Corbett
27+: Norwell, Glowinski, Karras, Tomlinson, Scherff
T
27 and under: Brown, Robinson, Crosby
27+: Trent Brown, Massie, Moses, Armstead
If I had to guess I would say they go past their 27 and under and target Jensen as a leader for the line. A more vocal centerpiece. And Norwell, who will probably be low hanging fruit being a Cincy native at the fringe of their career who won't want to play for a developing team in Jacksonville. They will pair that with the best available lineman at 31 and bring back Reiff, Spain and even Hopkins on a lower price. RT to me is the messiest spot. Possibly Massie or Moses

[B]DT[/B] is also messy. NT is probably set with Reader and Shelvin. 3T has no one set to return. I expect one of Hill and Ogunjobi to be back. They might do what they did with Hall and Joseph and keep whoever takes the first contract. I'd love to see Daniels back but that ship may have sailed....Tupou had 12 tackles in over 400 snaps, I am not sure he will be back. I'd like to see an investment with on of our first 3 picks and a FA. A veteran on a bad team who I'd like to focus on would be Akiem Hicks.

[B]CB[/B] is the last messy spot. Awuzie and Hilton have 2 of the 3 spots. Trey Flowers should be back as a S/CB hybrid. Corner could be in the mix at 31 but there are a ton of veterans who could be the 2nd corner and Eli Apple could be back with his ups and downs there. There are some young guys who we could sign to a decent contract for the 3rd CB: Jackson, Davis, Jones, Reed, Hughes, Douglas. Akhello Witherspoon might be an ascending guy with 2 straight years of good PFF coverage numbers. 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, sparky151 said:

We should sign Gronk. He missed some games last year but was still a more productive receiver than Uzomah and is a much better blocker. 

The hit Gronk got hurt on was brutal. Surprised he didn’t have ribs sticking out of his chest. 

Some talk about Rans offering extension to Donald..

4yrs..86mil...21mil per.

He's absolutely the best 3tech now and ever..

Bengals have no techs right now..

If Donald gets 21mil the Bengals may want to sign both Hill 3yr. 24 and Ogunjobi 3yr 21 .. total 3yr 15per for both while they have the chance..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Some talk about Rans offering extension to Donald..

4yrs..86mil...21mil per.

TJ Watt got a 4 year 112 million deal (28 per) so I can't see Donald taking 21 per. I would think Donald's number starts at 27-29 

Gotta feeling the Bengals need to score big in FA when it comes to fixing the OLine.  Between mocks and simulated mocks, I'm starting to see as many as 8 or even 9 OL's going before 31.  Next nothing left in the 2nd round except maybe Tyler Smith and I expect him to be gone by our 2nd pick.

The IOL looks to be particularily woeful with Green, Linderbaum and Johnson going before we pick and then nothing much afterwards. 

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

Gotta feeling the Bengals need to score big in FA when it comes to fixing the OLine.  Between mocks and simulated mocks, I'm starting to see as many as 8 or even 9 OL's going before 31.  Next nothing left in the 2nd round except maybe Tyler Smith and I expect him to be gone by our 2nd pick.

The IOL looks to be particularily woeful with Green, Linderbaum and Johnson going before we pick and then nothing much afterwards. 

Bengals should rely entirely on free agency when it comes to fixing the O-line. Nobody knows who will be available at 31 and even if someone they like is there, they'd still be a rookie. The advantage of rookies is they are cheap. But the team has plenty of money to buy proven commodities. Let's not cheap out on protecting Burrow. So fix the O-line in free agency, hope for improvement from last year's youngsters and concentrate on other positions in the draft. 

3 hours ago, snarkster said:

If the Bengals were to sign a top center (Jensen, Bozeman) and Linderbaum is BPA on your board @ 31, do you still take him?  If Johnson is also still there?  Penning?  Raimann? 

Maybe, but probably not. If we re-sign Spain or Reiff, they aren't long term fixes. So we might take Johnson or Raimann. Penning won't make it to 31 and Linderbaum probably won't either. 

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Maybe, but probably not. If we re-sign Spain or Reiff, they aren't long term fixes. So we might take Johnson or Raimann. Penning won't make it to 31 and Linderbaum probably won't either. 

Starting to doubt Johnson does either and Raimann's not a sure thing.  I'd rely on FA, but wouldn't mind a couple of younger guys behind them.

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

If the Bengals were to sign a top center (Jensen, Bozeman) and Linderbaum is BPA on your board @ 31, do you still take him?  If Johnson is also still there?  Penning?  Raimann? 

I would still take Linderbaum for the future.

2 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

I would still take Linderbaum for the future.

The signing of Bozeman or Jenson at 3yrs would indicate the BPA elsewhere.

Jenson at 3yr.39mil

Bozeman at 3yr.42mil or

4yr 54mil.

These 2 aren't coming cheap to any team..

They need one of them..bigtime

Archived