2022 Free Agency

On 2/15/2022 at 9:58 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There is plenty of cap space now and going forward to sign Bates and more OL

Bates is CLEARLY one of the young leaders so I would say it is a big risk to culture NOT signing him. Replaceable with whom?

Not re-signing key players and leaders when you have the cap space is a step backwards.

Bates and CJ are both big lockerroom presences, hut traditionally the Bengals have only really paid QB, LT, WR, Edge & Cornerback.  It's a main factor in their OLine woes.  I'm hoping to see that change some this year, bur may mostly be used on the IOC out of necessity.  If they're gonna spend big long-term in the DBackfield, it maybe on a CB1 as opposed to Bates.  I see them Franchising Bates and looking for his next year's replacement in the middle of the draft and then letting CJ walk in favor of a cheaper replacement. 

3 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Bates and CJ are both big lockerroom presences, hut traditionally the Bengals have only really paid QB, LT, WR, Edge & Cornerback.  It's a main factor in their OLine woes.  I'm hoping to see that change some this year, bur may mostly be used on the IOC out of necessity.  If they're gonna spend big long-term in the DBackfield, it maybe on a CB1 as opposed to Bates.  I see them Franchising Bates and looking for his next year's replacement in the middle of the draft and then letting CJ walk in favor of a cheaper replacement. 

I dont think keeping CJ would be that expensive, the TE market is flooded.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, High School Harry said:

How's this for radical ain't gonna happen...  trade hendrickson and out 2nd to move way up

and take Linderbaum and maybe a third?  Like BJ said, sign a quality ORT and move Reiff inside

for a year. Ossai is out there lurking and another high pick for another DE/big edge.

Too many ways to improve the OLine without trading of a 17.5 sack EDGE for a college OC who just had a rough combine and may well be there at 31 as it is.  Besides, if they sign say, Jensen or Bozeman, OG or OT become more critical needs anyway.  I like Linderbaum, but him being a strictly center-only doesn't help his case either.  The Bengals usually like linemen that have positional versatility (especially on the interior).

My Oline pecking order for Olinemen in the draft that were (until recently were speculated to be there at 31 is:

1. Trevor Penning: Huge nasty beast of a tackle.  Might need a year.  Top 10-15 after Combine (AC)

2. Zion Johnson: instant OG starter.  Top 20 AC

3. Tyler Linderman: (came up shot (in the arm department) (AC) & may be there at 31, but should we address OC or OT if we sign a top vet center?

4.  Tyler Smith:  Raw, but nasty OG/OT.  Moving up quickly.  Won't be there our 2nd pick (might not be at 31).  Reminds me of D'Ante Smith.

5.  Bernhard Raimann: hasn't played the position (or FB) that long, but has the tools.

6.  Sean Rhyan:  UCLA OG/OT that is moving up after a strong combine

7.  Nicholas Petit-Frere:  tOSU OL, maybe if we're still looking in the second.

8.  Daniel Faalele: mountainous RT.  2nd or 3rd Rd.

9.  Darian Kinnard:  I have a soft spot for DK, but doesn't belong on the edge in the NFL.  Maybe at OG if he drops to the 3rd or 4th round.  Very bad combine.

10.  Abraham Lucas:  really helped himself at combine.  Maybe in 2nd to 4th rounds.

:

5 minutes ago, snarkster said:

My Oline pecking order for Olinemen in the draft that were (until recently were speculated to be there at 31 is:

1. Trevor Penning: Huge nasty beast of a tackle.  Might need a year.  Top 10-15 after Combine (AC)

2. Zion Johnson: instant OG starter.  Top 20 AC

3. Tyler Linderman: (came up shot (in the arm department) (AC) & may be there at 31, but should we address OC or OT if we sign a top vet center?

4.  Tyler Smith:  Raw, but nasty OG/TE.  Moving up quickly.  Won't be there our 2nd pick (might not be at 31.  Reminds me of D'Ante Smith.

5.  Bernhard Raimann: hasn't played the position (or FB) that long, but has the tools.

6.  Sean Rhyan:  UCLA OG/OT that is moving up after a strong combine

7.  Nicholas Petit-Frere:  tOSU OL, maybe if we're still looking in the second.

8.  Daniel Faalele: mountainous RT.  2nd or 3rd Rd.

9.  Darian Kinnard:  I have a soft spot for DK, but doesn't belong on the edge in the NFL.  Maybe at OG if he drops to the 3rd or 4th round.  Very bad combine.

10.  Abraham Lucas:  really helped himself at combine.  Maybe in 2nd to 4th rounds.

:

In several mock simulators, I trded down and was able to pick up Tyler Smith and extra picks of course. 

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

In several mock simulators, I trded down and was able to pick up Tyler Smith and extra picks of course. 

If they think they can, I'd be all for that, but he's really moving up.  Really warming up to the thought of dealing our 1st or 2nd pick (something I usually am against) for a solid vet Tackle.  If we have a 3rd or 4th Rd comp pick, I might be convinced to include one of those for someone like Tunsil.

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was looking at the 1989 draft (the last time the Bengals picked next to last). They did trade out of the first. Picked Eric Ball and some guy named Freddie Childress with the extra pick.

Ball was OK for a while. But I noticed they could have had Steve Wisnewski, Robert Massey or Carnell Lake with that next to last pick. Yeah, they didn’t necessarily need a guard, safety or a corner then, but the BPA factor was pretty good if they had just stayed put. 

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

yeah, I'm warming up to your idea of trading our first round pick for a high-mid second and an extra... fourth?  The OLineman we like in the late first could well be there in the second or someone... not "almost as good" but adaptable in a different way.

Speaking of an extra 4th... what ever happened with the idea of a comp pick for IR Ross?

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Was looking at the 1989 draft (the last time the Bengals picked next to last). They did trade out of the first. Picked Eric Ball and some guy named Freddie Childress with the extra pick.

Ball was OK for a while. But I noticed they could have had Steve Wisnewski, Robert Massey or Carnell Lake with that next to last pick. Yeah, they didn’t necessarily need a guard, safety or a corner then, but the BPA factor was pretty good if they had just stayed put. 

Arkansas OG, iIRC.  Kinda the Sugar Tits of his day.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we get a comp pick, it would be for WJ3. Lawson and Hendrickson cancel out but Auzie got a lot less than WJ3 so Chido may be paired with someone else. 

Hendrickson was cut though first so he does not count from what I have read. If we get a fourth it will be for Lawson but somehow Ross factors into the formula. 

On 3/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, sparky151 said:

Maybe, but probably not. If we re-sign Spain or Reiff, they aren't long term fixes. So we might take Johnson or Raimann. Penning won't make it to 31 and Linderbaum probably won't either. 

Raimann is my guess at 31.  That said, we would be crazy not to resign Reiff. We have had horrible luck with rookie tackles the last few years getting almost no play out of any of them their rookie year. 

25 minutes ago, gupps said:

I don't think he made it out of training camp IIRC.

he stuck around for awhile and someone said he had an OK career in Canada.

Favorite Fat Freddy story from Back In The Day was the roomed him with

Tim Krumrie in training camp as a role model and weight watcher.

Tim said the first thing he did was leave a bag of chocolate chip cookies

on the table to temp Fat Fred and encourage him to not give in to temptation

and pass them up.

They were gone in less than 10 minutes after Tim left the room.

I think Fred got arrested in a questionable part of Newport in the late late,

wee early hours driving the wrong way on a one way street.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Raimann is my guess at 31.  That said, we would be crazy not to resign Reiff. We have had horrible luck with rookie tackles the last few years getting almost no play out of any of them their rookie year. 

Yes.  Reiff or some other veteran tackle.  Don't want to go into the season with Prince as their RT. 

12 hours ago, snarkster said:

Arkansas OG, iIRC.  Kinda the Sugar Tits of his day.

I was being semi-facetious. The Legend of Freddie Childress was famous even back then. 

Folks go on and on about Sample being a terrible 2nd Round pick. None worse than Freddie—not in any universe. And, the Bengals traded for it. 

They have until tomorrow to get a deal done with Bates or they have to use the franchise tag and then hopefully keep working a deal.

I suspect he gets tagged. I also suspect he plays under the tag and then leaves. Not what I want but the writing is on the wall.

13 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I was being semi-facetious. The Legend of Freddie Childress was famous even back then. 

Folks go on and on about Sample being a terrible 2nd Round pick. None worse than Freddie—not in any universe. And, the Bengals traded for it. 

I present for your consideration, Kirby Criswell.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Criswell

Drafted #31.  Cut in training camp. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

They have until tomorrow to get a deal done with Bates or they have to use the franchise tag and then hopefully keep working a deal.

I suspect he gets tagged. I also suspect he plays under the tag and then leaves. Not what I want but the writing is on the wall.

As you know, he can be tagged again next year too.

Archived