Is it possible that we are not as good as we think we are?

Let's be honest here...

We were the healthier team (they were missing multiple skill starters: OBJ, Woods, Higbee) we were basically playing on a neutral field (more Bengals' fans then Rams' fans), Stafford through 2-pics and we were gifted 7 points on the missed face mask call. We basically ended up getting beat by Stafford, Kupp & Aaron Donald. How do you explain this loss???!

We just played a team with 5 or 6 hall of fame players. One is considered the greatest of all time and we had a 1st year healthy burrow takes us to super bowl with no names, cast offs, and couple good players lost,  by three. He beat chiefs, at arrow head and titans 1 seed.  Chase played amazing, too. . From what I saw we have a qb that makes everyone play harder and better than they were. I seen Brady couple others do that but not with a oline this bad. Normally this bad an oline guy turns into kyler Murray looked in playoffs. 

I can only keep stating the obvious. Our defense and offensive skill players were absolutely off the charts good this postseason run. There's no words for how disappointed I am in the  o line. An NFL quarterback is sacked 1.5 times per game on average. Burrow was sacked SEVEN times in the Super Bowl and we almost won. He was sacked NINE times vs. the Titans and we did win. If we'd had anywhere near an average line we'd have been the early 90's Cowboys. Not just winning every postseason game, but it wouldn't have been even close. So how good are we is a difficult question. We have some of the best players I've ever seen, and a 30th ranked o line at the same time. I know they tried and there were injuries in that group. Zac juggled it the best he could and slayed every Bengal demon on the way except the last and biggest. 

1 hour ago, StripesNall said:

Let's be honest here...

We were the healthier team (they were missing multiple skill starters: OBJ, Woods, Higbee) we were basically playing on a neutral field (more Bengals' fans then Rams' fans), Stafford through 2-pics and we were gifted 7 points on the missed face mask call. We basically ended up getting beat by Stafford, Kupp & Aaron Donald. How do you explain this loss???!

th-10.jpegth-14.jpegth-10.jpeg

Burrow spent more time on his back than Patty the daytime hooker. I'm sure we've all seen that last play where Chase was open 24 hours. Had not been dragged down like he was he would have hit Chase wide open like that and there wasn't a single person close enough to even attempt to catch him. The O line is the reason we lost this, plain and simple. Now, the key here is is the Bengals organization going to do what it takes to keep Joe on his feet? I'd sure hate to see another bright career stamped out in Cincinnati. We've watched it too many times.

When you get to this level you are rarely as good as you think you are.  The Bengals are good, but as soon as you think you are good there is someone ready to knock you off.   See Kansas City at home in the AFC championship.  They thought they were good. 

The negativity of the theme of this whole thread makes me uncomfortable and does

nothing to help my state of mind and depression.

The one think I will say is that for as GOOD as the Bengals are, I'm looking forward to

seeing them get even BETTER.

Fuck all ya' Debbie Downers and Negative Nellies.

The reality is there are a lot of good teams led by great young QBs in the AFC.  I don’t think there is one team considerably better than anyone else to include us.  A true salary cap in the league makes this almost impossible.  

That said fixing the right side of the o line and adding another quality corner would put us up at the top.   A few less hurried passes in the Super Bowl probably makes us champs.  Reiff would have helped. 

There is an overused phrase “lightning in a bottle”. Another one I use is “rocket ride”. Teams get those hard-to-replicate runs where everything goes just right in just the right situations. These are intangibles of course, but these play major roles in the quest to win it all. 

Also, when one looks at the overall rosters of the 2021 playoff teams, more have much better rosters man-for-man than do the Bengals. And, they likely improve those rosters 

At least for the immediate present, this return to the Super Bowl is going to be problematic 

ONe of the differences next season will be that the Bengals will be the hunted instead of the hunters.  A little change in mindset.  Maintaining that culture is also crucial.  It's not easy.  There will always be bumps in the road.  How Taylor and the Bengals deal with them will help determine how far they go.

I don't see this as negative at all.  It's reality.  The Bengals will be good, barring unforseen issues, for the next several years.  How good depends on a lot of this intangible stuff....and an improved OL.  🤣

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

ONe of the differences next season will be that the Bengals will be the hunted instead of the hunters.  A little change in mindset.  Maintaining that culture is also crucial.  It's not easy.  There will always be bumps in the road.  How Taylor and the Bengals deal with them will help determine how far they go.

I don't see this as negative at all.  It's reality.  The Bengals will be good, barring unforseen issues, for the next several years.  How good depends on a lot of this intangible stuff....and an improved OL.  🤣

Yeah next year the team is going to have to learn to be the bully and keep your foot on their throat when they are down. 

6 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Big key will be being better than the other 3 teams in the AFC North.

Here is the Bengals 2022 schedule:

Home: Ravens, Browns, Stealers,  Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons, Panthers,
Away: Ravens, Browns, Stealers, Patriots, Jets, Titans, Saints, Buccaneers, Cowboys

Steelers are about to not have a competent QB, plus this draft sucks at QB It's going to be enjoyable watching them in the basement for a few years.

Ravens and Browns are the competition in the division. Jackson is good but not as good as Joe, and well the Browns may have beaten us twice (though does the last one really count?) Mayfield is still Mayfield.

Unless we get a rash of injuries I don't see where we dont repeat as division champs. 

The real thing we will have to do is stay better than KC and Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Stealers are about to not have a competent QB, plus this draft sucks at QB It's going to be enjoyable watching them in the basement for a few years.

Ravens and Browns are the competition in the division. Jackson is good but not as good as Joe, and well the Browns may have beaten us twice (though does the last one really count?) Mayfield is still Mayfield.

Unless we get a rash of injuries I don't see where we dont repeat as division champs. 

The real thing we will have to do is stay better than KC and Buffalo. 

Agreed

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

In our efforts to rebuild the oline, we can't forget about that dline either.  For stretches this season w/o Hendrickson in there, we got zero pressure. We need another edge rusher and 3 tech to make sure this D stays solid.  

I think getting Ossai back, assuming he is what he flashed, is certainly a step in that direction.

Archived