Mike Brown on 'tough-as-nails' Joe Burrow: 'We want to do some things to help him'

I expect the usual lot to complain about "SoP" (because that's what you do.) but Mike isnt usually a public person, so saying this out loud is a good thing, now go do it

Mike Brown on Joe Burrow: 'We want to do some things to help him' (cincinnati.com)

From the article....

Joe (Burrow) is a smart player and that shines through. He's accurate, he's tough as nails. We want to do some things to help him. ... I think we have the core of a top team. We'll add to it and I think we can make it better.

No team in the National Football League has better fans than Bengals fans. We played the Super Bowl in the Rams' home stadium and our fans were louder.

My one regret is I'm not carrying a new trophy. The Bengals are real. The future is bright. You, our coaches and our players are going to have some trip.

It's hard not to give in. It's over. It's in the books. There isn't anything you can do to change it. It doesn't do any good to gripe. It doesn't do any good to moan. Just move forward. You hurt for a time. But a week or two later it's not so bad. You get over the hurt. ... We had won three in succession like that at the end before we played the Rams. It could have gone the other way. So could have the other three that got us there. ...

The experience is with you forever. I remember I couldn't look at the (second Super Bowl) game against the 49ers for 25 years. When it would come on TV on replay, I would just switch the channel. I have to admit I haven't looked at this game on TV so far. It's only been three days. I looked at the tape. I saw what I wanted to see. I think I understand what happened. It's in the past now is where it resides with me.

sure IF they do what is needed,   i have never questioned his desire to win a super bowl just his sub par methods . 

at least we finally have had some success with FA,   

at least FA players now want to come here.

we used to have to overpay and then 90% of the time  they still went elsewhere for less. 

As someone who has criticized Mike Brown for years, and deservedly so, I like the signals and messages coming out of the front office.  I'm sure they will attempt to address the OL.  I just hope they don't go cheap.  Last year they went cheap.  Of the Bengals guards the highest paid was Su'a-Filo at a $3.1M cap hit.  Carman was at $1.3M and the rest of them were under $1M.  I know Spain was paid more than his cap hit, but just the same it wasn't much.  From my research it looks like the median salary for a starting guard in the NFL is around $3.5M.  Spain will probably expect that next year if not more.  I'm not suggesting the Bengals pay for the highest priced guard on the market, but they need to budget a lot more than they have been spending to shore up that position.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I expect the usual lot to complain about "SoP" (because that's what you do.) but Mike isnt usually a public person, so saying this out loud is a good thing, now go do it

Mike Brown on Joe Burrow: 'We want to do some things to help him' (cincinnati.com)

From the article....

Not ragging on Mike, but after Carson got his knee taken out, didn't Mike come out and say something similar?  

Zac is defending the OL and making excuses, ut oh, I mean, probably coaches speak to not pinpoint the real problem or ruffle feathers, but I think he needed to say they were a big part of the problem instead of covering for them. Does this bold well with Mike Brown’s we need to do some things?  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/zac-taylor-defends-bengals-offensive-line-amid-joe-burrows-startling-sack-numbers/  

1 minute ago, TigerJ@w said:

Zac is defending the OL and making excuses, ut oh, I mean, probably coaches speak to not pinpoint the real problem or ruffle feathers, but I think he needed to say they were a big part of the problem instead of covering for them. Does this bold well with Mike Brown’s we need to do some things?  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/zac-taylor-defends-bengals-offensive-line-amid-joe-burrows-startling-sack-numbers/  

100% coach speak. I feel confident in saying that internally, the team is saying "our OL is shit"

6 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

His quotes are about as boilerplate as it gets. No way in hell he’d ever throw any of his players under the bus. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

And that's why you're not a coach.  You praise in public and criticize in private.

34 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

And that's why you're not a coach.  You praise in public and criticize in private.

Exactly.  The quickest way to lose a team and prevent free agents from signing with you is to shit on players in public.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

100% coach speak. I feel confident in saying that internally, the team is saying "our OL is shit"

Well, the current o line might be the exact same Oline that starts next year.

1. We pick 31st. Not a lot of day 1 starting o lineman found there, especially tackles. 

2. Many of the other teams will be be trying to sign quality o lineman in FA as well.  They are hard to find. 

3. It’s very rare that a team lets one (or two) walk but I can name a team that did so a few years ago and regretted it.  It set them back years. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

What was he supposed to say? 

What will he say if they let some of them go?  Will he say we needed to keep them?  Nope.  That is why I say, why sugar coat it?  What, he is going to hurt someone’s feelings?  😂  This is a business and if they don’t cut it, then say something.  He doesn’t have to say a specific player, he can just say, our OL needs to play better, but he says, I called the wrong plays for them.  😂 If they don’t let some of them go or replace some of them, then you can scratch off next year because Burrow will never survive a full season.  

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

What will he say if they let some of them go?  Will he say we needed to keep them?  Nope.  That is why I say, why sugar coat it?  What, he is going to hurt someone’s feelings?  😂  This is a business and if they don’t cut it, then say something.  He doesn’t have to say a specific player, he can just say, our OL needs to play better, but he says, I called the wrong plays for them.  😂 If they don’t let some of them go or replace some of them, then you can scratch off next year because Burrow will never survive a full season.  

You say nothing because you dont want to badmouth guys on the team because it sets a bad tone for the guys still on the team that see that. Besides you think the OL doesnt know they need to play better?

soP looked so old and feeble when he accepted the AFC trophy. More than ever he should be no where near decisions. If they win the SB it will be in spite of him not because of him. Yes, players and coaches speak nice of him but that’s mostly because he rarely fires anyone. 

4 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Nothing... per the norm.

Which is what almost every other owner does besides Jones and Snyder.   There is NO reason for them to trash a player they release. Every talking head in the media will do it for them if warranted. 

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

There is no reason for an owner to bad mouth a player or a position.  It’s not their job.  They just won the AFC Championship and almost won a Super Bowl, it would be moronic to shit on part of the team a few days after a hell of a year by anyone’s standard. 

Bob Kraft has 7 Super Bowl rings, he didn’t even bad mouth Aaron Hernandez much other than to say they would cut any player charged with murder. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

There is no reason for an owner to bad mouth a player or a position.  It’s not their job.  They just won the AFC Championship and almost won a Super Bowl, it would be moronic to shit on part of the team a few days after a hell of a year by anyone’s standard. 

Bob Kraft has 7 Super Bowl rings, he didn’t even bad mouth Aaron Hernandez much other than to say they would cut any player charged with murder. 

I wasn’t talking about the owner.  😂 

Archived