Mike Brown on 'tough-as-nails' Joe Burrow: 'We want to do some things to help him'

4 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

I wasn’t talking about the owner.  😂 

It doesn’t matter. Why would any coach call out a player or position 4 days after a Super Bowl appearance?  Why would a coach call out any player after they cut them?  There is no reason to.  Why say something that will only blow up on social media?  

The 49ers will most likely move on from Jimmy G. I can guarantee you Shanahan will thank him for the years he gave them but say it’s time to move on with their first round investment.   

Same with Carr possibly. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It doesn’t matter. Why would any coach call out a player or position 4 days after a Super Bowl appearance?  Why would a coach call out any player after they cut them?  There is no reason to.  Why say something that will only blow up on social media?  

The 49ers will most likely move on from Jimmy G. I can guarantee you Shanahan will thank him for the years he gave them but say it’s time to move on with their first round investment.   

Same with Carr possibly. 

Taylor has an elegant approach to any media type.

A casualness ..praising his team at the right moments and no hiding from his own mistakes..

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

It doesn't happen with coaches either. When was the last time you saw Billicheck do that?

You mean like with Brady?  All the time, but hey, I am sure you will come up with more excuses.  You can keep talking to yourself from now on so don’t bother replying.  https://www.providencejournal.com/story/spor ts/nfl/patriots/2021/09/23/tom-brady-alex-guerrero-bill-belichick-relatinship/5828597001/ 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Same with Carr possibly. 

Social Media and Sports Commentators already blow up players that play like crap since HCs like Zac won’t.  See Apple as an example.  The point about cutting a player and not saying anything after he is cut was meant to mean he didn’t call him out about his bad play with some constructive criticism when here, but behind his back, um, he cuts him.  What kind of signal does that send you and to the players? I would rather someone call me out in front of someone then stab me in the back, but hey, that is just me.  You can talk to yourself now too. 

2 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Social Media and Sports Commentators already blow up players that play like crap since HCs like Zac won’t.  See Apple as an example.  The point about cutting a player and not saying anything after he is cut was meant to mean he didn’t call him out about his bad play with some constructive criticism when here, but behind his back, um, he cuts him.  What kind of signal does that send you and to the players? I would rather someone call me out in front of someone then stab me in the back, but hey, that is just me.  You can talk to yourself now too. 

The calling out is not done in public, forget how you make the player you do that to feel (it would humiliate them and break the relationship between the talent and organization),  but how is that going to get players you want to hire on your team want to play on your team.  While playing in the league is lucrative there are 31 other teams competing for talent who won't do that to you, so why wouldn't they come here instead if that was done.  The team is not going to do this to satisfy fans desiring to see players they are dissatisfied with get punished and risk having no one want to play here, but that does not mean they don't get punished/instructed and does not mean they don't get called out, to their face off camera.  The dignity of the players have to be kept in tact.

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

You mean like with Brady?  All the time, but hey, I am sure you will come up with more excuses.  You can keep talking to yourself from now on so don’t bother replying.  https://www.providencejournal.com/story/spor ts/nfl/patriots/2021/09/23/tom-brady-alex-guerrero-bill-belichick-relatinship/5828597001/ 

Thanks for proving my point.  First, it is a one sided argument.

Second, Bellichek did it behind CLOSED doors.  

Third, Brady, THEIR FRANCHISE QB, left because of it. 

Fourth, now other franchise QBs like Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson are doing the same. 

Did I leave out the part where the greatest QB in history LEFT the team because he was tired of the criticism BEHIND CLOSED DOORS?

Why do you think young guys and players coaches who can relate are in high demand and guys like Meyer and Flores got kicked to the curb?

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Thanks for proving my point.  First, it is a one sided argument.

Second, Bellichek did it behind CLOSED doors.  

Third, Brady, THEIR FRANCHISE QB, left because of it. 

Fourth, now other franchise QBs like Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson are doing the same. 

Did I leave out the part where the greatest QB in history LEFT the team because he was tired of the criticism BEHIND CLOSED DOORS?

Why do you think young guys and players coaches who can relate are in high demand and guys like Meyer and Flores got kicked to the curb?

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

On 2/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, UncleEarl said:

As someone who has criticized Mike Brown for years, and deservedly so, I like the signals and messages coming out of the front office.  I'm sure they will attempt to address the OL.  I just hope they don't go cheap.  Last year they went cheap.  Of the Bengals guards the highest paid was Su'a-Filo at a $3.1M cap hit.  Carman was at $1.3M and the rest of them were under $1M.  I know Spain was paid more than his cap hit, but just the same it wasn't much.  From my research it looks like the median salary for a starting guard in the NFL is around $3.5M.  Spain will probably expect that next year if not more.  I'm not suggesting the Bengals pay for the highest priced guard on the market, but they need to budget a lot more than they have been spending to shore up that position.

the lack of success has nothing to do with the cost, why do you keep saying this. why? why do you keep saying this? so had our 20mil per year RG and and 24mil per year RT both been injured exposing unprepared rookies that would have been better?

because injured starters and not yet ready youth is what caused the problem. nothing to do with anyones paycheck.

explain, explain to me, how if we had 50 million tied up in the RG and right tackle, who the starters we planned were both injured, we would have been better off somehow...

this must be some genius above my head.

17 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

the lack of success has nothing to do with the cost, why do you keep saying this. why? why do you keep saying this? so had our 20mil per year RG and and 24mil per year RT both been injured exposing unprepared rookies that would have been better?

because injured starters and not yet ready youth is what caused the problem. nothing to do with anyones paycheck.

explain, explain to me, how if we had 50 million tied up in the RG and right tackle, who the starters we planned were both injured, we would have been better off somehow...

What are you talking about? Bengals don't have any such players. If your point is anyone can get hurt, duh. Let's try to make sure the person getting hurt isn't Burrow.

9 hours ago, GoBengals said:

None of this makes any sense.  A $1M veteran can get hurt just as a $15M veteran, but you're telling me the contracts FAs get has no relation to their ability to play well?  You think you can replace DJ Reader with a guy making $2M and he'll play just as well?  Highly unlikely.

At no point have I suggested that the Bengals need to spend any specific amount of money.  I do suggest that signing FAs that make less than the average starting guard will usually give you a player that is less than an average starting guard and S'ua-Filo was just that.  Hell, the Bengals weren't even counting on him to start.  They flat out said they expected Carman to be a day 1 starter when they drafted him. 

Finally, while injuries aren't totally predictable there are plenty of things to keep in mind.  Older players are more likely to get injured.  Avoiding players with injury histories is another good idea. 

Archived