Should the Bengals Go All-In Next Year?

This isn’t a trick question and based on the age of Mike Brown it is a legitimate one: Should they go all in?

Keep in mind this might be (most likely be) Burrow’s last rookie contract year.  

What would that look like?   Well, step one might be to win a bidding war for the best available Offensive Tackle.  I mean we probably way overpay for him. 

Step 2 is best available interior Olineman in FA.  Spending going up fast. 

Step 3 might be to  trade future #1s to move up and pick an Olineman but more likely a top corner.  Mortgage the future a bit. Gardner from UC would be pretty awesome for a lot of reasons.  

Thoughts?  The Rams did it and have one more year until it blows up. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Keep in mind this might be (most likely be) Burrow’s last rookie contract year.  

Burrow has 2 more years and a 5th year option (so 3 total years) before they have to make him the highest paid player in the NFL, which they will gladly do.

But no reason to do it before then. 

I think this team has few glaring needs after trying to shore things up along the OL and $58M to play with (maybe as high as $70-$80M if certain contracts are cut).  I don't see them signing Armstrong or OBrown or Scherff and breaking the bank, but the I don't know if that is needed.  I think they have enough resources (between cap room & draft picks) to add 2 or 3 upgrades in front of Burrow and a CB, extend Bates and a half-dozen or so of their own FA's and address other depth concerns on the roster.

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Burrow has 2 more years and a 5th year option (so 3 total years) before they have to make him the highest paid player in the NFL, which they will gladly do.

But no reason to do it before then. 

That isn’t how it worked out for Mahomes or Allen, both were signed after year 3.  Maybe they get 2 years. 

Here are my thoughts FWIW:  the short answer is yes

1.  The PBS lease is up in 2026 and they are supposed to start negotiations in 2024.  What the team has accomplished between now and then could give more leverage to either side.

2.  The 2022 salary cap was set at $208 million.  All the new media, gambling and TV deals start kicking in 2023 with more expected jumps in the salary cap in later years.

3.  The modern blueprint to making the SB is to have a QB on a rookie contract or a Tom Brady who has been estimated to have left $100 million on the table so his team could sign better players.

4.  Because of 2 above players have been reluctant to sign long term deals because of the pandemic and players waiting on higher salary cap.  This is how many players teams have signed thru 2025.

Team 2023 2024 2025
Bills 32 12 2
Ravens 27 11 3
Bengals 25 14 1
Titans 31 11 3
Chiefs 20 13 4
Cowboys 43 18 2
Packers 28 24 8
Buccaneers 34 16 10
Rams 28 15 5
49's 20 15 6

5.  If the Bengals keep winning with Joe they will be drafting in the bottom of rounds.  If they want to move up it will cost them players or picks.

Point is "going all in" or overpaying and locking up a player in 2022 or even 2023 really does not mean anything in another year or so.  So what if they pay Armstead or Orlando Brown a big check for a year or 2?  Throw in a big name Edge, OG and a CB along with them.

Mike Brown has "saved" his whole life for this moment of time.  He better not blow it. 

I'd like to see them go "all in" in terms of resigning guys we have that are up, but also finding some guys on the Oline that you can do 3 year highly paid deals with, while drafting their eventual replacements that can get rotational snaps as backups that eventually take starting roles. 

This way you win now, but when it comes time to pay Joe, you have the money to do so while hopefully your young draft picks can take over and be cheaper but ready to start, that way you can keep winning. 

I don't want to go all in and end up not having guys around that can play once we pay Joe and Jamar. 

Really more than anything else I want us to go "all in" on expanding the scouring department by a few guys. We are going to be drafting at the bottom of the draft for a long time and we need to be able to find guys that can play and play well, which is much easier when drafting at the top than it is at the bottom. 

Burrow seems like the kind of guy who won't demand every last nickel on his next contract even though he'll deserve it. I'd expect he'll wait until after year 4 before doing a new deal and he'll sign something that is well below the top of the market to leave room for teammates, providing the Bengals commit to him they'll spend the money.

Yes, the Bengals should go all-in for 2022. We have a good team to start with as a base and lots of cap space. No reason not to make the effort and we may be able to get players now that we couldn't in the past. 

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

1.  The PBS lease is up in 2026 and they are supposed to start negotiations in 2024.  What the team has accomplished between now and then could give more

GABP lease is until 2037, so the county is in one-on-one with the Bengals in ‘26. 

You are correct: frankly, with the faltering condition of MLB for the foreseeable future and the resurgence of the Bengals/NFL, the money-makers are going to be the Bengals. Don’t see that changing before ‘24 rolls around. 

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Rather put together a team

for long term success than blow it out for a couple years.  I want to see Burrow at the head of a dynasty. 

Today a dynasty is a handful of really good skill players especially a QB you try to keep or replace with the same quality while the rest of the team are a bunch of players coming and going on 2-3 deals.

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Burrow seems like the kind of guy who won't demand every last nickel on his next contract even though he'll deserve it. I'd expect he'll wait until after year 4 before doing a new deal and he'll sign something that is well below the top of the market to leave room for teammates, providing the Bengals commit to him they'll spend the money.

Yes, the Bengals should go all-in for 2022. We have a good team to start with as a base and lots of cap space. No reason not to make the effort and we may be able to get players now that we couldn't in the past. 

Burrow and his agent will want to be paid market rate for what he is worth on his first Post rookie contract.   He isn’t a charity. 

When Carson Palmer was resigned, he was the highest paid player in the NFL for that next season. I imagine the same will happen with Burrow.

The only difference is that by then Burrow will likely have taken the Bengals to multiple Super Bowls, while Quitter never got his balls out of his wife's purse or won a playoff game. 

Just now, BlackJesus said:

When Carson Palmer was resigned, he was the highest paid player in the NFL for that next season. I imagine the same will happen with Burrow.

The only difference is that by then Burrow will likely have taken the Bengals to multiple Super Bowls, while Quitter never got his balls out of his wife's purse or won a playoff game. 

50mil a yr for JB..

One positive is I think as long as you have Burrow and Chase, this team can be competitive long into the future (next 8 years or so). So those 2 are obviously going to get huge extensions paying them the highest at their position when the time comes.

All other players must be evaluated on price versus alternatives, as really Burrow and Chase are the only 2 that you give blank checks to keep. 

Im not saying the Oline doesn't need upgrading but just to be different and to add an alternative perspective.  In defense of the Oline I will say these few notes.

It is hard af to block with a empty backfield. In my opinion that is the most difficult situation to keep putting your linemen in.

We have 2 top tier WRs and one that is almost top tier. Why do we need to run 5 wide so often when we have such great weapons?  I mean dang,, our QB is getting slaughtered. I'd have two backs in on shotgun or two TEs.. Something, anything other than empty and wide open.

We roll the dice on each Offensive Linemen being able to win their match up.  Why not keep back more help and roll the dice on Chase, T and Boyd still getting open even if double teamed?   When Burrow gets time it doesn't seem to matter if Chase or T are doubled up. They will still get open if Burrow can get that extra second or two in the pocket. 

Whatever they do they must fix this issue or Burrow isn't going to last as long as we would like.  He really got hurt a few times out there. We can't be having that.  Protect him at all cost.

28 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Im not saying the Oline doesn't need upgrading but just to be different and to add an alternative perspective.  In defense of the Oline I will say these few notes.

It is hard af to block with a empty backfield. In my opinion that is the most difficult situation to keep putting your linemen in.

We have 2 top tier WRs and one that is almost top tier. Why do we need to run 5 wide so often when we have such great weapons?  I mean dang,, our QB is getting slaughtered. I'd have two backs in on shotgun or two TEs.. Something, anything other than empty and wide open.

We roll the dice on each Offensive Linemen being able to win their match up.  Why not keep back more help and roll the dice on Chase, T and Boyd still getting open even if double teamed?   When Burrow gets time it doesn't seem to matter if Chase or T are doubled up. They will still get open if Burrow can get that extra second or two in the pocket. 

Whatever they do they must fix this issue or Burrow isn't going to last as long as we would like.  He really got hurt a few times out there. We can't be having that.  Protect him at all cost.

Theyll upgrade the oline..

Be patient..

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Theyll upgrade the oline..

Be patient..

I think they will too.  I guess my point is that the Bengals and Mike Brown have a chance to change their narrative from being cheapskate old timers as the younger family members take on more responsibility and with the team having money and and the salary not yet exploding it wouldn't hurt to bring in a few "big names" for a couple of years.

16 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

One positive is I think as long as you have Burrow and Chase, this team can be competitive long into the future (next 8 years or so). So those 2 are obviously going to get huge extensions paying them the highest at their position when the time comes.

All other players must be evaluated on price versus alternatives, as really Burrow and Chase are the only 2 that you give blank checks to keep. 

The thing about elite WRs is they are usually on top of their game for 5-7 years.  After that they begin to fade.  Their window is probably that time period. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Chase angling for an extension quickly. 

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Burrow and his agent will want to be paid market rate for what he is worth on his first Post rookie contract.   He isn’t a charity. 

He literally is very charitable. In a couple of years, if top QB pay is 50 mil per, I could see Burrow taking a 5 year 200 mil deal with 60 mil signing bonus. That's provided the team starts spending to the cap so the money doesn't just go in the Brown family pockets. Or he might agree to a 10% of the cap type deal. Burrow's next deal will set up his kids and grandkids for life so at some point he doesn't need it. 

12 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

The thought on the 5 wide is it simplifies the defense for the QB. It requires him to make a pre-snap read and get the ball out quickly. As you note he'll get killed if he holds it too long. We did run a couple of QB draws this season off the formation and they worked pretty well. 

Archived