Should the Bengals Go All-In Next Year?

21 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

One positive is I think as long as you have Burrow and Chase, this team can be competitive long into the future (next 8 years or so). So those 2 are obviously going to get huge extensions paying them the highest at their position when the time comes.

All other players must be evaluated on price versus alternatives, as really Burrow and Chase are the only 2 that you give blank checks to keep. 

Well, Stafford and Megatron disagree. Even when Chase/Burrow eat up a lot of cap space, there will loads of room for quality players and the team will still have to fill those spots. They one huge thing that has happenned over the past two years was the move into free agnecy. This is essentially a realization that they had some real shit drafts. And they will have more good and shit drfats in the future, all teams do. The key is - realize you have gaps from drfat fails and fill them with free agents. 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:18 PM, SF2 said:

This isn’t a trick question and based on the age of Mike Brown it is a legitimate one: Should they go all in?

Keep in mind this might be (most likely be) Burrow’s last rookie contract year.  

What would that look like?   Well, step one might be to win a bidding war for the best available Offensive Tackle.  I mean we probably way overpay for him. 

Step 2 is best available interior Olineman in FA.  Spending going up fast. 

Step 3 might be to  trade future #1s to move up and pick an Olineman but more likely a top corner.  Mortgage the future a bit. Gardner from UC would be pretty awesome for a lot of reasons.  

Thoughts?  The Rams did it and have one more year until it blows up. 

lol wut.

mike brown nor anyone in the building cares how old mike is.

there is, zero chance, this is the last year of burrows rookie contract salary (why wouldnt they do a 5th year option and extend him after 4, like, everyone ever?

lastly, this isnt a roster than needs to go all in, its one that needs to wisely fill some holes and have even an average draft.

given its a team that players will likely want to come play for, there isnt likelt to be a bidding war, nor do the bengals spend beyond worth/market value.

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He literally is very charitable. In a couple of years, if top QB pay is 50 mil per, I could see Burrow taking a 5 year 200 mil deal with 60 mil signing bonus. That's provided the team starts spending to the cap so the money doesn't just go in the Brown family pockets. Or he might agree to a 10% of the cap type deal. Burrow's next deal will set up his kids and grandkids for life so at some point he doesn't need it. 

Every team has to spend an average of 95% of cap space in a 5 year rolling basis or they have to write a check to the players union to make up the difference.  

12 hours ago, GoBengals said:

lol wut.

mike brown nor anyone in the building cares how old mike is.

there is, zero chance, this is the last year of burrows rookie contract salary (why wouldnt they do a 5th year option and extend him after 4, like, everyone ever?

lastly, this isnt a roster than needs to go all in, its one that needs to wisely fill some holes and have even an average draft.

given its a team that players will likely want to come play for, there isnt likelt to be a bidding war, nor do the bengals spend beyond worth/market value.

All in would be overpaying for those “parts” as you say. And there are plenty of other teams these same players will want to go to.  One playoff run in 32 years isn’t going to make us a destination yet, it simply takes money. 

There is almost always a bidding war for the best players. 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, Catfish Bob said:

Im not saying the Oline doesn't need upgrading but just to be different and to add an alternative perspective.  In defense of the Oline I will say these few notes.

It is hard af to block with a empty backfield. In my opinion that is the most difficult situation to keep putting your linemen in.

We have 2 top tier WRs and one that is almost top tier. Why do we need to run 5 wide so often when we have such great weapons?  I mean dang,, our QB is getting slaughtered. I'd have two backs in on shotgun or two TEs.. Something, anything other than empty and wide open.

We roll the dice on each Offensive Linemen being able to win their match up.  Why not keep back more help and roll the dice on Chase, T and Boyd still getting open even if double teamed?   When Burrow gets time it doesn't seem to matter if Chase or T are doubled up. They will still get open if Burrow can get that extra second or two in the pocket. 

Whatever they do they must fix this issue or Burrow isn't going to last as long as we would like.  He really got hurt a few times out there. We can't be having that.  Protect him at all cost.

Yeah, advertising that we're not going to run with no extra pass blockers never seemed like a good idea this year.  Seemed like defenses would blanket everybody early with no real concern about anything developing before someone up front got home, and they were almost always right. Not sure how much of a defense of the Oline this is, but I agree Zac ran it too much. Seems like he ran it on 3rd and even 4th and short yardage situations too?  Wish we could have some of those back.

35 minutes ago, A Rock said:

Yeah, advertising that we're not going to run with no extra pass blockers never seemed like a good idea this year.  Seemed like defenses would blanket everybody early with no real concern about anything developing before someone up front got home, and they were almost always right. Not sure how much of a defense of the Oline this is, but I agree Zac ran it too much. Seems like he ran it on 3rd and even 4th and short yardage situations too?  Wish we could have some of those back.

When you know you can't get 1 yard running the ball on 3rd and 4th down what do you do?

The empty backfield works a lot better with a stud TE.  I love Uzomah, but he doesn't strike much fear in the other team.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Every team has to spend an average of 95% of cap space in a 5 year rolling basis or they have to write a check to the players union to make up the difference.  

Yes, and the extra 8-10 million between spending the min and the max can be put to good use rather than ending up in SoP's pocket. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, and the extra 8-10 million between spending the min and the max can be put to good use rather than ending up in SoP's pocket. 

If you can show me the amount of money each club has spent the last 5 years on salary then we can talk.   The “Bengals are Cheap” claims 90% of the media push is never backed up with actual numbers. 

I haven’t seen those numbers so if you can give me actual statistics and we are near the bottom  I will support your argument. 

Just because T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a guy who last played here 13 years ago (crazy isn’t it?) says we were cheap then  doesn’t mean that is still true.  I haven’t heard any recent players say we are cheap. 

The little bath towels, community jock strap pile and Gatorade stories are almost 20 years old.  

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If you can show me the amount of salary each club has spent the last 5 years on salary then we can talk.  

I haven’t seen those numbers so if you can give me actual statistics I will support your argument. 

Just because T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a guy who last played here 13 years ago (crazy isn’t it?) says we were cheap then  doesn’t me that is still true.  I haven’t heard any recent players say we are cheap. 

There are some non-player-salary ways that a team can be cheap.  Others may call it frugal.  (I am frugal.)

The limited availability of Gatorade being one story…associated with Jonathan Joseph.  Small/cheap towels in the locker room being another.

And, of course, the lack of a sizable scouting staff.

However, the Bengals have done some things in the past that goes against the “cheap” label often associated with the team.  I have noted two such instances in the past, but can currently only recall one for sure: one season ended with John Kitna one play short qualifying for a bonus.  The Bengals requested (petitioned?) that the league include a two-point conversion attempt as a qualifying play…it was granted…and Kitna got the Bonus.

I believe that the other case involved the player that was shot during the offseason (Dennis Weathers/Weathersby??? Something like that).  The Bengals went ahead and paid him his salary for the upcoming year, even though they didn’t have to.

Like you, I have not heard any RECENT stories of cheapness (other than with the size of scouting staff), so hopefully the team recognized those problems and addressed them.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, BlackJesus said:

Because of injury risk and that fact Burrow will be 28 when doing entering next deal, I think they will aim more for a 4 year 220 mill deal (55 per)

On 2/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, claptonrocks said:

Im in...

Me too. Is there a GoFundMe set up yet?

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

If you can show me the amount of money each club has spent the last 5 years on salary then we can talk.   The “Bengals are Cheap” claims 90% of the media push is never backed up with actual numbers. 

I haven’t seen those numbers so if you can give me actual statistics and we are near the bottom  I will support your argument. 

Just because T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a guy who last played here 13 years ago (crazy isn’t it?) says we were cheap then  doesn’t mean that is still true.  I haven’t heard any recent players say we are cheap. 

The little bath towels, community jock strap pile and Gatorade stories are almost 20 years old.  

Smallest scouting department in the NFL. That's about the only place we still are "cheap"

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Smallest scouting department in the NFL. That's about the only place we still are "cheap"

Well, and consistently having a lot of cap space.  While cap spend doesn't always equal cash it does mean the Brown family is putting more of that revenue in their pockets.  Hopefully they will spend a bit more this year to shore up a few spots and take another run at the SB. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Well, and consistently having a lot of cap space.  While cap spend doesn't always equal cash it does mean the Brown family is putting more of that revenue in their pockets.  Hopefully they will spend a bit more this year to shore up a few spots and take another run at the SB. 

I keep hearing this, and I'm wondering if there are rules on what a team is allowed to do with cap money they don't spend. I know they changed some of the rules a few years ago and there is a certain percentage teams have to spend on the cap, but I don't know that teams can just "put it in their pocket"?

51 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I keep hearing this, and I'm wondering if there are rules on what a team is allowed to do with cap money they don't spend. I know they changed some of the rules a few years ago and there is a certain percentage teams have to spend on the cap, but I don't know that teams can just "put it in their pocket"?

There are minimums to spend and amounts not used could be rolled forward (not sure that is still the case) . The minimum spend was based on a rolling average of some number of years. The team has obviously at least spent to the minimum, has to, but two things it did not in the past (1) utilize the cap space well (overpaid for some players, etc) and (2) levergae the cap like other teams have. There is a difference between cash paid out and cap hit. Teams, some teams that is, manipulate this. In the end though, and cap space that is leveraged has to be accounted for. Like the Saints last year finding themsleves some $80M over the cap. 

We have what 8 scouts and tyhe league average is 15 or so. And no doubt we are pretty lean overall in the office area. Fact is, if we drfat well then the small scouting staff is lean and efficient. When we draft for shit, the staff is too small. 

37 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There are minimums to spend and amounts not used could be rolled forward (not sure that is still the case) . The minimum spend was based on a rolling average of some number of years. The team has obviously at least spent to the minimum, has to, but two things it did not in the past (1) utilize the cap space well (overpaid for some players, etc) and (2) levergae the cap like other teams have. There is a difference between cash paid out and cap hit. Teams, some teams that is, manipulate this. In the end though, and cap space that is leveraged has to be accounted for. Like the Saints last year finding themsleves some $80M over the cap. 

We have what 8 scouts and tyhe league average is 15 or so. And no doubt we are pretty lean overall in the office area. Fact is, if we drfat well then the small scouting staff is lean and efficient. When we draft for shit, the staff is too small. 

I don't know that we "Draft for shit", we do have some guys here that are homegrown that are pretty good. What we need to be able to do though is maximize things since we will be drafting at the bottom of the draft for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure where else it goes.  Honestly, I understand to a point.  The Browns make their money from The Bengals.  I can't think of another owner that isn't crazy wealthy from some other business.  Still, it would be a disappointment if the family doesn't take advantage of this window and spend a little more to protect their investment in Burrow.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm not sure where else it goes.  Honestly, I understand to a point.  The Browns make their money from The Bengals.  I can't think of another owner that isn't crazy wealthy from some other business.  Still, it would be a disappointment if the family doesn't take advantage of this window and spend a little more to protect their investment in Burrow.

Agree. I feel like they could expand the team value by taking advantage of the time they have with Joe.

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals have one of the lowest paid coaching staffs in the league. Remember when a college DC turned the Bengals down because they wouldn't match his pay?

It's public record that the team doesn't spend to the cap. They have the option of rolling unused money into the following season but don't always exercise that option, ie it goes to the Brown family coffers when they don't. They did that when Marvin was coach. 

Organizations that are committed to winning try to maximize all their assets. They spend to the cap. They have bigger staffs for scouting and coaching. The cap applies equally to all teams. Other spending is up to the owners. Cowboys have the Star, Bengals have to go to UC to practice indoors. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals have one of the lowest paid coaching staffs in the league. Remember when a college DC turned the Bengals down because they wouldn't match his pay?

It's public record that the team doesn't spend to the cap. They have the option of rolling unused money into the following season but don't always exercise that option, ie it goes to the Brown family coffers when they don't. They did that when Marvin was coach. 

Organizations that are committed to winning try to maximize all their assets. They spend to the cap. They have bigger staffs for scouting and coaching. The cap applies equally to all teams. Other spending is up to the owners. Cowboys have the Star, Bengals have to go to UC to practice indoors. 

What the team pays its coaching staff has nothing to do with the salary cap and Marvin was one of the higher paid coaches the last 10 years he was here. 

No doubt the team cut corners on the non player discretionary spending over the years.  It must be better since I haven’t heard any players complaining about it.   

BTW, the team does have an indoor training facility with new turf.  It isn’t a full sized field but does exist. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

What the team pays its coaching staff has nothing to do with the salary cap and Marvin was one of the higher paid coaches the last 10 years he was here. 

No doubt the team cut corners on the non player discretionary spending over the years.  It must be better since I haven’t heard any players complaining about it.   

BTW, the team does have an indoor training facility with new turf.  It isn’t a full sized field but does exist. 

Indoor facility to train?

Where?..

U.C ??

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Who is claiming coaching salaries come from the salary cap? How much coaches are paid does have a lot to do with what coaches can be hired and kept.  I doubt Marvin was ever in the top half of the league in pay. He supposedly made around 6 mil per year compared to 15 mil for Sean Payton and 20 for Belichick. Do you think Taylor was making very much before his new contract? 

Where is the indoor training facility? How big is the field? 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Taylor was an unknown who had never even been an OC before we hired him. Paying him what they paid him was pretty in line with what he was worth at the time. I'd be curious what the re-upped him for.

Ive read rumors of 8mil per..

Not official though..

Archived