PFF - Fixing the Cincinnati Bengals ( Article )

Pasting the NFL draft section and names, in case people want to look into them further ...

2022 NFL DRAFT ROUTE

Not picking in the top 10 anymore means the Bengals will hope someone they like falls to them at Pick No. 31. At No. 24 on the PFF Big Board, Trevor Penning could be in play: “Penning is yet another uberphysical run-blocker at the position. The 6-foot-7, 321-pounder moves people with ease. His 99.9 run-blocking grade — albeit against mainly FCS competition — is the highest we've ever charted.” 

Abraham Lucas out of Washington State, Kellen Diesch from Arizona State and Tyler Smith from Tulsa could be more realistic picks, and there's even trade-back potential to still nab one of them in the second round. Smith is very enticing at multiple positions: “Smith's run-blocking tape is a sight to behold. Neal nor Ekwonu led the FBS in big-time blocks last season, as it was Smith. He likely ends up at guard and is a work in progress as a pass protector, but you can't teach his power.” — PFF Big Board

On the inside, the most intriguing prospects are guards Zion Johnson out of Boston College and Kenyon Green from Texas A&M. There’s a slight chance that, because of positional value, Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum falls in the draft, but it is unlikely. Johnson and Green are very different players, with the latter as the more agile player and the former the more physical. Either would be good picks. Green is ranked 21st on the PFF Big Board, while Johnson slots in at 41st. 

I read where the Giant are going all in on their Oline this year..

They allready have their LT Andrew  Thomas  so they would go for Lakken Tomlinson at LG 

draft Linderbaum at C..at pick 7..

Draft G Zion Johnson rd2..

Thet have a competent RT in Nate Solder.

Still have another top pick if they want to go Cleveland stye and put a formidable wall up front..

Thomas.Tomlinson..Linderbaum..

Johnson and Solder...

Solid..

If Bengals want. Zion they pull the trigger in round 1..

Would they do that for a guard???

I haven't read the article yet, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the title.  What a difference a year or two makes.  Remember when "Fixing the Bengals" meant SOOOOOOO much more than what it does now?!?!?!

A trip to the SuperBowl sure does reset your perspective, expectations, and the depth of what "Fixing" would imply.  So nice that we only need a couple pieces to be good for years to come versus being in the midst of another "rebuilding year".

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

They allready have their LT Andrew  Thomas  so they would go for Lakken Tomlinson at LG 

Still have another top pick if they want to go Cleveland stye and put a formidable wall up front..

Johnson and Solder...

Solid..

whats tough about the o-line its like there are about 10-15 great Tackles in the league, and the nfl needs 64 of them. so its literally ALWAYS a sellers market, in trades or free agency, no one can go all in, if the players doesnt wanna play there, they arent gonna play there. And something i will highlight in a post later and touched on in the last oline post i made, is ncaa isnt producing great tackle tallent at a very high rate. guys go from blocking defenders from central michigan to blocking against an all SEC all star team week after week. and so many college qb's dont make reads for shit and just run around and chuck it, stats are odd to even read. its like finding a good qb, like half have never taken a snap under center ever, half of the rest option and roll out every play so they arent reading a full defense or coverage. of whats left some are idiots or not talented enough, its a crap shoot there too.

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

I haven't read the article yet, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the title.  What a difference a year or two makes.  Remember when "Fixing the Bengals" meant SOOOOOOO much more than what it does now?!?!?!

A trip to the SuperBowl sure does reset your perspective, expectations, and the depth of what "Fixing" would imply.  So nice that we only need a couple pieces to be good for years to come versus being in the midst of another "rebuilding year".

man you aint lyin. the headlines and social media i have seen sinc the SB is bananas we were like 2 injured dudes away from a SB win and legendary season.

im curious to see who we lose in FA, especially on D. we have 4 starters and 2-3 backups role players who will be free agents this offseason. bringing everyone back isnt an improvement, but they were solid, so lots of decisions to make aside from the o-line.

but seeing shit like "cant the bengals win the afcn next year? type headlines is wild.

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Johnson and Solder...

Solid..

It seems that the Giants, despite having a shit QB and losing for 5 years are over the cap. Yikes.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/20/joe-schoen-giants-have-to-make-tough-decisions-to-get-under-the-salary-cap/

10 hours ago, GoBengals said:

whats tough about the o-line its like there are about 10-15 great Tackles in the league, and the nfl needs 64 of them.

And something i will highlight in a post later and touched on in the last oline post i made, is ncaa isnt producing great tackle tallent at a very high rate. 

man you aint lyin. the headlines and social media i have seen sinc the SB is bananas we were like 2 injured dudes away from a SB win and legendary season.

Finding and keeping 2good tackles along with an OK backup for even a few years is about as difficult as finding a franchise QB.  Definitely a sellers market. 

Yeah the RPO craze in college is certainly making it easier to hide bad lineman and not prepare good ones for the NFL. Guys don’t have to sustain blocks nearly as long and like you said, they are not blocking against an all-SEC line or corners or facing highly paid defensive coordinators in most games. 

Sure having Reiff and a healthy Waynes would have helped as much as the Rams having Woods, Jordan Fuller and 3 more quarters of OBJ would have helped them.    Always gonna be a few important pieces missing in February.  Brutal sport. 

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Geoff Hobson remains a crazy person (says biggest off-season need is signing own FAs and does not mention line at all…

well. he isnt wrong, if we lost bates, ogunjobi, hill, Topuo, CJ, Reiff, spain, huber and harris, ..... would in fact be a nightmare from hell itself. not to mention everyone on the fucking planet knows we are going to add linemen, and quite frankly mentioning it in every article, tweet, and mention is both lazy and tiresome from the media and fans. we have many many many free agents we MUST keep. people seem to forget this team is just finished year 3 of a complete 100% rebuild on both sides of the ball. Every move is vital, the goals have changed, the expectations have changed, but the process, contracts, and holes remain needing to be filled.

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Finding and keeping 2good tackles along with an OK backup for even a few years is about as difficult as finding a franchise QB.  Definitely a sellers market. 

Yeah the RPO craze in college is certainly making it easier to hide bad lineman and not prepare good ones for the NFL. Guys don’t have to sustain blocks nearly as long and like you said, they are not blocking against an all-SEC line or corners or facing highly paid defensive coordinators in most games. 

Sure having Reiff and a healthy Waynes would have helped as much as the Rams having Woods, Jordan Fuller and 3 more quarters of OBJ would have helped them.    Always gonna be a few important pieces missing in February.  Brutal sport. 

the 2005 bengals o-line was a masterpiece. then Braham went down and it took years to get a decent center even.

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It seems that the Giants, despite having a shit QB and losing for 5 years are over the cap. Yikes.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02//

Good find..

What a mess Dave Gettleman made of their cap...

So they wont be signing Tomlinson (if he even wanted to play there)..

I have a feeling theyll blow it draft day.

Horrible organization..

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

There are times twitter is more fun than others, like...today - 

Supposedly Tunsil available via trade, enjoy seeing Bengals players floating stuff into the universe....

I think the entire Texans roster is available via trade, none the less....He would be a nice addition.

5 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I love this trade but I doubt Houston would take it. In this deal they take Trae Waynes off our hands. They get our 1st rd pick this yr but we get their 2nd rd pick. Then we get each other's 3rd rd picks next yr

https://torotimes.com/2022/02/14/houston-texans-laremy-tunsil-tradecin/

I would jump all over that.

11 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I love this trade but I doubt Houston would take it. In this deal they take Trae Waynes off our hands. They get our 1st rd pick this yr but we get their 2nd rd pick. Then we get each other's 3rd rd picks next yr

https://torotimes.com/2022/02/14/houston-texans-laremy-tunsil-tradecin/

…and we’ll throw in Hargreaves, too.  😎

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would jump all over that.

Doubt the Texans would.

They mortgaged their future trading with Miami for him.

Tunsil is a great pass protector but this was a Disastrous trade for Tunsil..

He signed a 3ry 57mil deal with Houston that's about to end..

Id imagine his agent will want a future contract in that range..

Ill pass..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Doubt the Texans would.

They mortgaged their future trading with Miami for him.

Tunsil is a great pass protector but this was a Disastrous trade for Tunsil..

He signed a 3ry 57mil deal with Houston that's about to end..

Id imagine his agent will want a future contract in that range..

Ill pass..

It would be hard finding another franchise that went from decent to utter dog shit in every facet of the game than what Houston has accomplished in a few short years.

Not many examples out there of a team paying their healthy franchise QB $10 mil in cash to stay home an entire year. 

Its an absolute dumpster fire.  

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Can the Bengals get a better OT with the 31st pick than Tunsil?

30% chance a linemen works out at all in the first round, best likely to be available is from northern Iowa, and knocks on him mention being able to get up to speed quickly vs nfl competition.

scares me

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It would be hard finding another franchise that went from decent to utter dog shit in every facet of the game than what Houston has accomplished in a few short years.

Not many examples out there of a team paying their healthy franchise QB $10 mil in cash to stay home an entire year. 

Its an absolute dumpster fire.  

Texas is truly a football state

like some others but to let a pro franchise become a mockery is inexcusable..

With Cal McNair running things its been disastrous down there.. 

Another lame owner...

Archived