Ricardo Allen retiring

35 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

More $$ for Jesse. (or was Allen a free agent about to get the gate?)

I think they liked Allen.  He played a smart game from what I remembered and was reasonably priced.  I would have had him back at his current salary of around $2M.  Sounds like he has something lined up.  Good for him!

He would be a 'bubble' re-sign in my mind. 3rd contracts for a lot of players are risky - will run into the same for Mixon and Boyd down the road. 

For Bell, if we have no young guy ready, may not have much choice unless there is another FA out there worthy. But if they pay mucho dollars to Bates we may have to concede the second safety position is a smaller contract guy. 

20 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He would be a 'bubble' re-sign in my mind. 3rd contracts for a lot of players are risky - will run into the same for Mixon and Boyd down the road. 

For Bell, if we have no young guy ready, may not have much choice unless there is another FA out there worthy. But if they pay mucho dollars to Bates we may have to concede the second safety position is a smaller contract guy. 

Go big on Bates..

Bell has 2yrs left...

After that I see him released here..

the whole is greater than the sum of all parts. Whatever it was with this team keep it together. 

I would sign bell, can’t replace the leadership. He proved it during super bowl run. I am done with all talent players just starting. experienced leadership to protect back end. 
these guys haven’t played together real long . Hopefully whoever they draft gets schooled from the vets before seeing the field. The players run the team, so they should be able to tell who can play or is fronting. I would draft late rounds maybe prove yourself on special teams. High rounds we need depth and up front lineman . I love to trade that late first round pick for another 2nd or 2 3rd picks. 

on draft I was around when we picked very high Mike traded up to take kijana carter, if I remember. With this team we need a couple offensive lineman free agents. Whatever they been doing last couple years just follow same game plan. I would love to get bruising full back that can catch lead block for this offense, like sf has. We run similar systems and need a fb that can pass protest cj on one leg in Super Bowl pass blocking Donald was a joke.

Is there anyone like Lamar that would drop we could trade to get more picks? Lamar is pretty special was a steal late first round. 

46 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Rod Woodson retired at 37. All-Pro at 36.

Brian Dawkins retired at 36. Two Pro Bowls final years. 

Just sayin’

You're comparing Hall of Famers to Bell.  Different eras, too.  There is a reason Allen is retiring and don't think health isn't a part of it. 

Troy Polamalu retired at 33 and probably should have a few years earlier. 

I like Bell a lot, but he's never been a pro bowl player, and his game will most likely decline after 30.  He's struggled in coverage in the past and guys over 30 don't get faster. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would not mind keeping Bell for a new contract if he is willing to take on a backup aging player role for a couple years

Yeah, I'm not trying to run the guy off.  I like Bell.  I also think you have to plan for the future and counting on Bell to play at this level into his thirties is risky.  After this season I think two years max for Bell.  All depends upon how he plays and if he stays healthy. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to run the guy off.  I like Bell.  I also think you have to plan for the future and counting on Bell to play at this level into his thirties is risky.  After this season I think two years max for Bell.  All depends upon how he plays and if he stays healthy. 

Same

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

You're comparing Hall of Famers to Bell.  Different eras, too.  There is a reason Allen is retiring and don't think health isn't a part of it. 

I like Bell a lot, but he's never been a pro bowl player, and his game will most likely decline after 30.  He's struggled in coverage in the past and guys over 30 don't get faster. 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to compare Bell to these guys. More of an illustration that age 30 isn't the Logan's Run Renewal Zone...guys can still play at a high level.

45 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to compare Bell to these guys. More of an illustration that age 30 isn't the Logan's Run Renewal Zone...guys can still play at a high level.

If Bell is still playing well and will accept short term deals I have no issues.  Often guys want longer term and more money.  We'll see how it plays out.

On 2/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

its always a tough pill to swallow for guys to get a new contract and make less, they typically leave for someone willing to risk it, which typically goes bad.

On 2/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, claptonrocks said:

Go big on Bates..

Bell has 2yrs left...

After that I see him released here..

1 year

On 2/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Bell has one year left on his contract - 2022

yea this

On 2/22/2022 at 4:07 AM, Mikeslumina said:

the whole is greater than the sum of all parts. Whatever it was with this team keep it together. 

I would sign bell, can’t replace the leadership. He proved it during super bowl run. I am done with all talent players just starting. experienced leadership to protect back end. 
these guys haven’t played together real long . Hopefully whoever they draft gets schooled from the vets before seeing the field. The players run the team, so they should be able to tell who can play or is fronting. I would draft late rounds maybe prove yourself on special teams. High rounds we need depth and up front lineman . I love to trade that late first round pick for another 2nd or 2 3rd picks. 

on draft I was around when we picked very high Mike traded up to take kijana carter, if I remember. With this team we need a couple offensive lineman free agents. Whatever they been doing last couple years just follow same game plan. I would love to get bruising full back that can catch lead block for this offense, like sf has. We run similar systems and need a fb that can pass protest cj on one leg in Super Bowl pass blocking Donald was a joke.

Is there anyone like Lamar that would drop we could trade to get more picks? Lamar is pretty special was a steal late first round. 

im sort of with you on the first line, keeping key parts is vital, but just as some guys improved this year, some guys will play worse next year, or be hurt, so going back with the same roster (give or take) isnt likely to yield the same results, always need to add younger better talent anytime possible even if you love the guy who is there.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:59 AM, Le Tigre said:

Rod Woodson retired at 37. All-Pro at 36.

Brian Dawkins retired at 36. Two Pro Bowls final years. 

Just sayin’

damn the games were in 480i resolution when woodson retired, 

On 2/22/2022 at 6:45 AM, UncleEarl said:

and bell is at a level of "pretty good" at his peak age in the league, the downhill slope wont be awesome. he is more than able currently tho.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:08 AM, Jamie_B said:

I would not mind keeping Bell for a new contract if he is willing to take on a backup aging player role for a couple years

i would say 0-3% chance of him wanting to stick around as a backup in his early 30s. egos, denial and such.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:32 AM, UncleEarl said:

agreed

On 2/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, membengal said:

Again, he's 27.

He will be 28 when his contract is up.

Another 3-year contract would take him to...31. 

That's...not old. 

no but he also isnt that good, with the exception of Apple, bell is the least talented DB in the starting rotation, Bates, Awuzie, and Hilton id rank better skill wise than Bell, great unit, so not a knock on bell, but damn near any first 2 round S could likely step in and do the same job, but i agree having a vet has value. he just isnt good enough to be stretching his peak NFL years here in cincy, especially if we are giving bates a bag.

Archived