Laremy Tunsil

30 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I looked at it quickly and thought "no way we give up that mcuh draft capital". I did not even notice the tweet was from Adam Sphincter

It really isn’t that much draft capital…basically just a second-rounder.  The 2023 picks involved trading our 4th for their 3rd, so an improvement for us.

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No thanks to Tunsil. He's very expensive and not that good. He missed 11 games last year and PFF rated him lower than Jonah.

Let's leave LT alone and look for upgrades at the other 4 spots. 

Tunsil is one of the best pass protecting OTs in the NFL..

He's not a road grader in the run game but he's adequate..

The problem I saw with him is penalties

in the past..

Excluding his rook year and 2021 (limited snaps) hes averaged 10 penalties a year with a high of 18 in 2019.

He did cut it down to 6 in 2020 so hes improved..

Is he better than Jonah?

Better in pass ..maybe the same in run..

Have to see what his agent will ask contract time.

yall thought waynes a 2nd and a 4th/3rd trade would have been "a lot" for a top LT?

waynes is getting cut so that woulda been nothing, so the fake deal was a 2nd, and upgrading our 4th to their 3rd..

thats like the best deal i have ever heard of for us .  we would have dressed up as the hamburgler when we faxed the paperwork in

9 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yall thought waynes a 2nd and a 4th/3rd trade would have been "a lot" for a top LT?

waynes is getting cut so that woulda been nothing, so the fake deal was a 2nd, and upgrading our 4th to their 3rd..

thats like the best deal i have ever heard of for us .  we would have dressed up as the hamburgler when we faxed the paperwork in

They probably would have missed the deadline to sign the fax

:ninja:

20 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Tunsil is one of the best pass protecting OTs in the NFL..

He's not a road grader in the run game but he's adequate..

The problem I saw with him is penalties

in the past..

Excluding his rook year and 2021 (limited snaps) hes averaged 10 penalties a year with a high of 18 in 2019.

He did cut it down to 6 in 2020 so hes improved..

Is he better than Jonah?

Better in pass ..maybe the same in run..

Have to see what his agent will ask contract time.

Or, you know we could just fix the interior of the line for about the same money. A couple of 9 million dollar guards, a 10 mil center and cut Hopkins would cost 22 mil or about what Tunsil would want on an extension. And what if his play in 2021 is more representative of his play in 2022? Then we'd be paying a lot of money to get worse.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, sparky151 said:

Or, you know we could just fix the interior of the line for about the same money. A couple of 9 million dollar guards, a 10 mil center and cut Hopkins would cost 22 mil or about what Tunsil would want on an extension. And what if his play in 2021 is more representative of his play in 2022? Then we'd be paying a lot of money to get worse.

you had me until cutting hopkins. he is the second best lineman on the roster currently for 2022, and even as mediocre as he was had come back from injury and also played next to the gaping asshole that was the RG situation this year. Lastly, depth.... depth..........depth......depth....

it doesnt matter how good the 5 starters are if 40% of the them might be wearing sweats half the year(injuries happen, especially to linemen). if we are worried about hopkins 6 million in the fixing the line scenario, we arent fixing the line.

if we draft linderbaum and he gets hurt, you cut hopkins to save a couple mil(his replacement wont be free), so now some random dude gets tossed in Carmen/Adiniji style(aka trey hill?). perfect.

id rather have two hopkins than a linderbaum and a carmen level guy.

semi on topic, lapham seems to be pretty high on D'ante Smith so far this offseason. im curious whats there once we get back to football.

its going to be tough to juggle, new veteran talented starters, currently decent veterans, and keeping around as much developing youth as possible.

11 hours ago, GoBengals said:

semi on topic, lapham seems to be pretty high on D'ante Smith so far this offseason. im curious whats there once we get back to football.

I liked what I saw in the Browns game.  

If he keeps putting on muscle he could be a player.  I would say he's as much of a prospect as Carman at this point.

12 hours ago, GoBengals said:

you had me until cutting hopkins. he is the second best lineman on the roster currently for 2022, and even as mediocre as he was had come back from injury and also played next to the gaping asshole that was the RG situation this year. Lastly, depth.... depth..........depth......depth....

it doesnt matter how good the 5 starters are if 40% of the them might be wearing sweats half the year(injuries happen, especially to linemen). if we are worried about hopkins 6 million in the fixing the line scenario, we arent fixing the line.

if we draft linderbaum and he gets hurt, you cut hopkins to save a couple mil(his replacement wont be free), so now some random dude gets tossed in Carmen/Adiniji style(aka trey hill?). perfect.

its going to be tough to juggle, new veteran talented starters, currently decent veterans, and keeping around as much developing youth as possible.

6 mil is a lot to pay a backup, especially one who isn't very good. Hopkins was the 35th rated center in a 32 team league. Putting his 6 mil toward a 10 mil center means a significant upgrade for the overall line. If the new center goes down, either get Hill ready to play or move a guard to center. A number of the free agent guards such as Daniels or Corbett have prior experience at center. We need to upgrade the interior of our O-line and holding onto Hopkins would be a terrible mistake. PFF graded Keaton Sutherland and Trey Hill higher than Hopkins on their limited snaps last year. 

On 2/26/2022 at 2:26 AM, GoBengals said:

Yeah, and that's part of the problem.  I'd look to replace starters at four OL spots (between the draft & FA) and I'm not sure I wouldn't mover the 5th (Jonah) inside.

Archived