Either way, I do not share the view of "same old Bengals" by them doing the tag. It is smart and the only real leverage that teams have. The Bengals can't afford to overpay just so the national media will write a few good stories about them "not being cheap" and then end up losing someone like Higgins because they used up all the money. 

Your foundational pieces that you pay whatever it takes for are Burrow and Chase. All other players need to come at the right price. 

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

In all due respect SF...

nothing is ever simple in the NFL..

The. NFLPA will make it a priority on no lifetime ban on him.

That'll be a pay per view matchup.

It’s only a 1 year ban I believe. 

12 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Bates wanted a deal before the season and for sure wanted one now.  He said he did not want to be tagged.  I am not sure what the holdup is.

The guys on the locked on Bengals podcast seem to think it's nothing other than signing bonus is guaranteed which is how the Bengals always do their contracts, they are speculating that Bates wants more guaranteed.

30 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The guys on the locked on Bengals podcast seem to think it's nothing other than signing bonus is guaranteed which is how the Bengals always do their contracts, they are speculating that Bates wants more guaranteed.

The team is going to have to do more on the guarantee side of contrcats once JB's contrcat time comes upon us. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The team is going to have to do more on the guarantee side of contrcats once JB's contrcat time comes upon us. 

I think they should seriously consider it. Jake Liscow made the point that while the guarantees are not there they virtually guarantee in that they rarely cut guys before their bonus money is paid out anyway. I feel like just sign Jessie give him his signing bonus and guarantee his salary for the first 3 years in writing, he's basically going to get that anyway so just do it if only to make him feel good about signing.

16 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Someone please refresh my memory but didn't they try that once with, I think, Carl Pickins

and ended up losing a draft pick as punishment?

Someone?  Bueller?

Or have the rules changed?

This is what I found.  There was a grievance by the NFLPA against the Bengals and how they handled Franchise tagging Pickens

Bengals release Carl Pickens - UPI Archives

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

With the Chiefs tagging Brown this will mean Honey Badger is free to test the market that may help set the price for Jessie to hopefully get a deal done.

I like Bates over Mathieu.  Bates hasn't had the injury issues Mathieu has.  Concussions are no joke and I wouldn't want Mathieu long term.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I like Bates over Mathieu.  Bates hasn't had the injury issues Mathieu has.  Concussions are no joke and I wouldn't want Mathieu long term.

Oh I 100% agree, I'm just saying Mathieu will help set the market for safeties for this year which might help establish a price for Bates is all.

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Oh I 100% agree, I'm just saying Mathieu will help set the market for safeties for this year which might help establish a price for Bates is all.

I am a little confused, isn’t Mathieu a cornerback?   

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Should be interesting. Mathieu is quite a bit older than Bates and has had some injury issues.  This would be his 4th team if he leaves KC. 

Archived