Updated Salary Cap Numbers ($208.2M)

overthecap.com has us at $34.6M under the cap.

spotrac has us at $35.8M under the cap.

These numbers include the JBIII franchise tag, but I'm hoping we still get a long-term deal done with him.  Hobson normally says we keep, what, $10M for injuries and draft picks...so that would give us about $25M to spend in FA?  I'm no cap/FA expert, but it feels like we're going to run through this money quickly.  Add another $10M by cutting Waynes...that should have been done yesterday as far as I'm concerned. 

• WRAPradio changed the title to Updated Salary Cap Numbers ($208.2M)

Here are our top salaries.  If we sign another center, saving 6M by cutting Hopkins would be nice; and as much as I love Mixon, I hate paying that much for a RB...especially one that's not a 3-down back because he can't protect.  I'm not suggesting cutting him, I'm wondering if there's a way to lower his cap hit.

image.png.7aed35ba766067c9235587fc4f9c7eba.png

Looking at the overall roster, we spend way too much on the RB position.  

image.png.ec720d2a76acd3625bba0880ce5584e3.png

This WR room is going to start getting really expensive in the next couple of years with Boyd, Chase and Higgins.  WE may want to look at drafting a WR in the later rounds to see if we can develop someone behind the those three.

image.png.6bdcad2ae4ef0aa677f602b0ccca79f0.png

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

overthecap.com has us at $34.6M under the cap.

spotrac has us at $35.8M under the cap.

These numbers include the JBIII franchise tag, but I'm hoping we still get a long-term deal done with him.  Hobson normally says we keep, what, $10M for injuries and draft picks...so that would give us about $25M to spend in FA?  I'm no cap/FA expert, but it feels like we're going to run through this money quickly.  Add another $10M by cutting Waynes...that should have been done yesterday as far as I'm concerned. 

If we sign a Center, you can probably factor Hopkins' cap figure in as well.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

This WR room is going to start getting really expensive in the next couple of years with Boyd, Chase and Higgins.  WE may want to look at drafting a WR in the later rounds to see if we can develop someone behind the those three.

image.png.6bdcad2ae4ef0aa677f602b0ccca79f0.png

I'm hoping we draft a #4 WR that can do kick returns and maybe develop into a starter when that WR room becomes too expensive. And even if he doesnt I think we draft at least Boyd's replacement soon. 

I also don't think we will be able to afford Chase and Higgins, and will likely have to draft another WR to replace one of them as well. 

Obviously Chase is preferable to keep, not a slight on Higgins as he is a good #1, but Chase is special. 

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm hoping we draft a #4 WR that can do kick returns and maybe develop into a starter when that WR room becomes too expensive. And even if he doesnt I think we draft at least Boyd's replacement soon. 

I also don't think we will be able to afford Chase and Higgins, and will likely have to draft another WR to replace one of them as well. 

Obviously Chase is preferable to keep, not a slight on Higgins as he is a good #1, but Chase is special. 

They could afford Chase and Higgins, but Boyd will have to go.  That might happen faster than you think if the Bengals somehow ran into a good TE. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

They could afford Chase and Higgins, but Boyd will have to go.  That might happen faster than you think if the Bengals somehow ran into a good TE. 

So do they turn from a 3WR 1 TE to a 2 WR 2 TE base? 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So do they turn from a 3WR 1 TE to a 2 WR 2 TE base? 

Possibly.  You go with your talent.  They sure don't have the talent for a 2TE base. 

Just throwing out a scenario on how you can keep your two top WRs.  A good receiving TE can supplant a high end slot WR.  I think Boyd is great, but he makes too much money for a #3 target at best.  Then again, see someone get injured and they'll be glad they have him.  Sigh...these are the kinds of decisions they are going to have to make in a couple years.  Can't keep 'em all. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Possibly.  You go with your talent.  They sure don't have the talent for a 2TE base. 

Just throwing out a scenario on how you can keep your two top WRs.  A good receiving TE can supplant a high end slot WR.  I think Boyd is great, but he makes too much money for a #3 target at best.  Then again, see someone get injured and they'll be glad they have him.  Sigh...these are the kinds of decisions they are going to have to make in a couple years.  Can't keep 'em all. 

The Bengals rarely give a 3rd contract, so I think Boyd moving on when his contract is up is pretty likely. Though I say that and I wont be surprised of Uzomah is on his 3rd contact with us next year, at a reduced rate than his current one mind you.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Even if it never got started.

For all his huffing and puffing, Aaron Rodgers didn’t blow Green Bay’s house down.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Packers and Rodgers have agreed to terms on a four-year, $200 million deal. It makes him the highest paid player in league history. He’ll get $153 million guaranteed, and it will reduce his cap number of $46.66 million.

As usual, the devil will reside in the details of the deal. How much is fully guaranteed at signing? Is it a two-year commitment? Three years? Four? We’ll know once the deal is available to be scrutinized.

Regardless, it ends the drama regarding Rodgers’s destination. For all the bluster about wanting out, he’s staying put.

10 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Even if it never got started.

For all his huffing and puffing, Aaron Rodgers didn’t blow Green Bay’s house down.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Packers and Rodgers have agreed to terms on a four-year, $200 million deal. It makes him the highest paid player in league history. He’ll get $153 million guaranteed, and it will reduce his cap number of $46.66 million.

As usual, the devil will reside in the details of the deal. How much is fully guaranteed at signing? Is it a two-year commitment? Three years? Four? We’ll know once the deal is available to be scrutinized.

Regardless, it ends the drama regarding Rodgers’s destination. For all the bluster about wanting out, he’s staying put.

Wow!  It just boggles my mind how other teams do this and here we are $30M+ UNDER the cap and we're already talking about how we may need to replace Boyd and Higgins!  Burrow hasn't even signed his new contract yet.  Other teams seem to make it work, I'm hoping we have a capoligist that can make it work for us too.  I do like that we're never in cap hell, but at the same time I don't know if we give ourselves a consistent shot to win managing the cap like we do.  

Being a Lakers fan, I love how they went all in for a championship in 2020, but now they're in cap hell and will probably miss the playoffs this year.  

Other teams take it one year at a time. You don't hear nonsense from them about putting money aside for a Burrow extension that may not come for 3 years. In the NFL, the future is now and the Bengals should be going all-in for 2022. We'll see if they actually do that or not. History says they won't. 

21 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Wow!  It just boggles my mind how other teams do this and here we are $30M+ UNDER the cap and we're already talking about how we may need to replace Boyd and Higgins!  Burrow hasn't even signed his new contract yet.  Other teams seem to make it work, I'm hoping we have a capoligist that can make it work for us too.  I do like that we're never in cap hell, but at the same time I don't know if we give ourselves a consistent shot to win managing the cap like we do.  

Being a Lakers fan, I love how they went all in for a championship in 2020, but now they're in cap hell and will probably miss the playoffs this year.  

The cap can be manipulated (legally), leveraged may be a better term but eventually you have to de-leverage like the Saints had to do. Leveraging works best when the cap is rising each year, it is supposed to be at around $270M ny 2024/25 so a lot of teams will push contract dollars out using voidable years, etc. And of course many teams re-do contrcats to move base salaires to bonuses etc etc. 

Butn the $153M gurantee in the Rodgers deal is a huge huge number. 

5 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Here are our top salaries.  If we sign another center, saving 6M by cutting Hopkins would be nice; and as much as I love Mixon, I hate paying that much for a RB...especially one that's not a 3-down back because he can't protect.  I'm not suggesting cutting him, I'm wondering if there's a way to lower his cap hit.

image.png.7aed35ba766067c9235587fc4f9c7eba.png

Looking at the overall roster, we spend way too much on the RB position.  

image.png.ec720d2a76acd3625bba0880ce5584e3.png

Your right...

Mixon's 8mil is high but he's signed to a contract and Bengals will pay him..

Its also nice to have a top runner as well.

Chris Evans could make a push on snaps this year.

Kid is good..

Darren Simmons budget is lower than I thought..

Archived