Free Agency Crystal Ball 2022

What do you see happening in FA?

My thoughts.

QB-Nothing but a UDFA add

RB-Nothing but a late pick or UDFA add

WR-I could see a veteran after the dust settles maybe the Friday or a week in

• Tre'Quan Smith was coached by Walters at UCF
  • The PR spot is interesting with Khalif Raymond, Jakeem Grant

TE-I think they sign CJ, probably before FA starts....then maybe draft a guy. It's tough here because Wilcox is the 3 TE which is generally set for Special Teams and he is well thought of but they will want to get a rookie in the mix to potentially replace sample next year and with some upside to eventually replace CJ

• Keep an eye on Ty Conklin if his market doesn't materialize

OL-This is the messiest part but I think becoming cleaner

• 3 year 15 million per year deal for Jensen. We seem to want a leader on the OL, We want a tone setter, a "glass eater". Those guys aren't easy to come by. I think they will view this as a chain that his presence improves everyone out. That's probably the only splash signing Day 1. I think he will want to sign here over anywhere else to finish his career with a contender. 
  • If they don't land Jensen I think they go hard for Laken Tomlinson. I think it's a one or the other situation. 
  • Day 2 they keep their eye on the G room but don't go in.  Someone under 27 (Daniels-Cappa-Williams-Corbett) will be the thought but they won't go in at the price. 
  • I think that the starting LG is either Norwell or Spain on a cheaper deal.
  • I think the starting RG is either Carman or Hopkins, the latter on a restructured longer term deal. 
  • I think they would much rather sign Jensen-Go Norwell/Spain at LG, Have Carman at RG and maybe restructure and extend Trey Hopkins to backup C and be in the mix at RG. They probably want their secondary large external signing to be a RT but I just don't know who that is. It's possible that guy isn't on the market yet. 
  • An interesting route would be to sign Duane Brown to play LT for a year on a Rieff like deal. Move Jonah to RT. A line of Brown-Norwell/Spain-Jensen-Carman/Hopkins-Williams is a pretty sizable upgrade from 2021.
  • Keep an eye on Cornelius Lucas who played about 50% of the snaps for the Washington Football Team this year and probably doesn't have a role their next year. 73.5 Pass block rate per PFF, was on the Rams when Taylor was there. 
  • Keep an eye on Evan Brown. Was the backup in Detroit this year and played 12 games with Ragnow's injury
  • The Short term deal at LG and starting Carman at RG leaves us wide open to take Green or Johnson at 31 and safe if neither is available. 

DE-I think they will add a veteran at about 3 million or less to be the 4th DE. (Ingram, Houston, Pierre-Paul, Vernon, Hughes, Kerrigan, Griffin, Addison, McPhee) I think they won't double down on their sizable DE investment in 2021. 

3T-I think they sign one of BJ Hill and Larry O. Probably Hill and probably before FA starts. Then I think they draft one Rd 3 or earlier. 

• An Ogunjobi style signing could be an option for the 2nd DT: Akiem Hicks, Solomon Thomas, Calais Campbell, Sheldon Richardson)
  • Keep your eye on Taven Bryan who Marion Hobby coached in Jax

LB-We have nailed that spot with other teams castoffs and I assume we will do the same

S-I expect an end of the week signing after things settle. A Ricardo Allen style signing of a veteran with lots of starts. Maybe even a younger one who could take over should Bell leave next year. I think they invest in a 4-5 rounder as well

CB-This is likely in play at 31 and 63 but I suspect they will want to leave themselves open to go BPA in case there isn't a guy there. I think they will sign Akhello Witherspoon relatively early in the week. Maybe a 2 year deal. Then I think they will add Eli Apple back after about a week in. His market will be light. Flowers will be back as well to play a hybrid S/CB role

P-I think Huber retires and Crissman takes over. 

Pre FA: Hill and CJ

Day 1: Jensen

First week: Brown-Spain/Norwell-Witherspoon

After week 1: Apple, DE, S, Flowers, Tre'Quan Smith

After watching Hobson with the Locked on guys I think this is where I am at.

C - Bozeman

OG - 2 from these 4 guys, Conner Williams (Cowboys), Alex Cappa (Bucs), James Daniels (Bears), Austin Corbet (Rams) 

CB - Apple gets brought back 

TE - Even though the Bengals don't like giving a 3rd contract to a guy I think CJ gets the exception here. Too much of a fan favorite and is still playing at a good level. Though I suspect we draft someone too.

DT - It sounds like they want to bring back both Ogunjobi and Hill, not sure the money will be there for both. Hobson thinks they prefer Ogunjobi, I think I prefer Hill, but will be happy with either.

I don't think they do much more than that, of course they will get players at positions that are not super big "holes" with later in FA types of guys. But I think that list above is what gets done in the first few weeks.

I think they go into the draft looking for CB, another 3 tech DT, a RT, and then whatever BPA is. And I don't think they reach for any of those 3 positions I listed.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Is CJ saying there is little time to resign him before next week or he tests the market?

Probably means that he enjoys watching  the “Days of Our Lives” soap opera.  😎

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I think there's a 'Swing for the Fences' option, that is interesting ...

- Sign JC Jackson

- Sign Jensen

- Sign Armstead 

- Sign Gronk 

- Draft the best DT on the board at 31 (Jordan Davis?) 

- Let many of the Bengal FA's go

That would blow my mind..

That's a ton of cap space..

But....i like the idea of swingin for the fences...😎

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

He's in for a rude awakening if he tests the market.

Might set the Bengals offer price assuming they want to make one.

Yeah I think hell be back on a price the Bengals are comfortable with

I suppose if the Bengals wish for these “upgrades”, it might be wise to go for players who actually play the position that the team would like them to play. Enough of the “left something to right something” and vice versa.

This Collins thing is a curiosity. He actually plays RT, and at an above average skill set. People are all worried about trading an end of round pick in the 1st or 2nd…but why should there be a fear of maybe losing out on an Eric Ball if there can be an instant needed proven shot in the arm? 

Don’t know why I’m thinking this…but some spidey sense is telling me they may go big in this trade, or something like it coming out of left field. 

20 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose if the Bengals wish for these “upgrades”, it might be wise to go for players who actually play the position that the team would like them to play. Enough of the “left something to right something” and vice versa.

This Collins thing is a curiosity. He actually plays RT, and at an above average skill set. People are all worried about trading an end of round pick in the 1st or 2nd…but why should there be a fear of maybe losing out on an Eric Ball if there can be an instant needed proven shot in the arm? 

Don’t know why I’m thinking this…but some spidey sense is telling me they may go big in this trade, or something like it coming out of left field. 

I'd be good with a mid-round pick for Collins but there are some parallels to the Cordy Glenn trade that ended up being a disaster. Collins has had some off field issues and missed time due to injury in recent years. 

I wouldn't even think about giving up our 1st though. Too valuable and if you can get an OL in the same general ball park talent-wise as Collins for slightly more money, I'd do that and keep the first for a young starting CB. 

My crystal ball predictions:

Two big $10-13M signings: Larry Ogunjobi and a Guard or Center.

Two $6-9M signings: CJ Uzomah and another OL. 

A few $2-5M signings: CB, third OL, and another DT

1st round pick will be a starting CB. Kaiir Elam from Florida would make sense.

2nd round pick will be a developmental OT. 

3 minutes ago, happyrid said:

My crystal ball predictions:

Two big $10-13M signings: Larry Ogunjobi and a Guard or Center.

Two $6-9M signings: CJ Uzomah and another OL. 

A few $2-5M signings: CB, third OL, and another DT

1st round pick will be a starting CB. Kaiir Elam from Florida would make sense.

2nd round pick will be a developmental OT. 

Id want BJ Hill before Ogunjobi..

If they tranform the oline into respectability then Elam would make sense..

21 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I would like to add a veteran OT to the mix.

27 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I'd be good with a mid-round pick for Collins but there are some parallels to the Cordy Glenn trade that ended up being a disaster. Collins has had some off field issues and missed time due to injury in recent years. 

I wouldn't even think about giving up our 1st though. Too valuable and if you can get an OL in the same general ball park talent-wise as Collins for slightly more money, I'd do that and keep the first for a young starting CB. 

If Kalil mack can be had for a 6th and a 2nd in '23, Collins is certainly not worth 31 or 63.

A little unclear how much a new team would be on the hook for with Collins. His base salary for this coming season is $10M, which isn't too bad. But he also has a few different bonuses, some of which the new team wouldn't have to pay (signing bonus), some they would (option bonus), and some that I'm not sure about (restructure bonus?). 

7 minutes ago, happyrid said:

A little unclear how much a new team would be on the hook for with Collins. His base salary for this coming season is $10M, which isn't too bad. But he also has a few different bonuses, some of which the new team wouldn't have to pay (signing bonus), some they would (option bonus), and some that I'm not sure about (restructure bonus?). 

Collins will come with 3yr and 30mil..10per

All guaranteed money is paid in full.

In essence its like 3 one year deals at 10mil per as they can cut him at anytime.

This seems to be a gift handed to them.

A 4th rounder would be a bargain for him..

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Collins will come with 3yr and 30mil..10per

All guaranteed money is paid in full.

In essence its like 3 one year deals at 10mil per as they can cut him at anytime.

This seems to be a gift handed to them.

A 4th rounder would be a bargain for him..

Yeah, that is a nice contract. I assumed at least the option bonuses would be paid by new team but maybe not.

I'd do a 4 for sure if it's just $10M and he is not trying to get an extension or anything. It might also make sense to do a later pick this year plus a conditional pick next year based upon playing time or something. 

13 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Yeah, that is a nice contract. I assumed at least the option bonuses would be paid by new team but maybe not.

I'd do a 4 for sure if it's just $10M and he is not trying to get an extension or anything. It might also make sense to do a later pick this year plus a conditional pick next year based upon playing time or something. 

Denver has talked with Dallas about a trade for Collins..

Denver has 2 3rd rounds picks and may offer the boys one if them..

So would Bengals go with their 2nd rounder to get him?

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Denver has talked with Dallas about a trade for Collins..

Denver has 2 3rd rounds picks and may offer the boys one if them..

So would Bengals go with their 2nd rounder to get him?

Too many questions to give up a 2nd imo.

He had a 5-game suspension last year for trying to bribe an NFL drug test person. Had a mysterious 2-game benching last year that was rumored to be something off field oriented.

Missed all of 2020 with an injury.

Other rumored off field stuff that contributed to him going undrafted. 

He's obviously fallen out of favor in Dallas, they will save less than $2M against the cap if they trade or cut him now. 

10 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Too many questions to give up a 2nd imo.

He had a 5-game suspension last year for trying to bribe an NFL drug test person. Had a mysterious 2-game benching last year that was rumored to be something off field oriented.

Missed all of 2020 with an injury.

Other rumored off field stuff that contributed to him going undrafted. 

He's obviously fallen out of favor in Dallas, they will save less than $2M against the cap if they trade or cut him now. 

I thought it was much more cap than  that.. 

Id imagine Coach Pollack will have his say about him..

Thats probably the tiebreaker..

Archived