Mock Draft Simulators

Now that we are getting closer to BPA, I wanted to redo this draft. I had 3 rules. 

1. We don't need a QB or K, so ignore those positions. 

2. You must take the top player on the board regardless of position (other than QB or K, see rule 1)

3. You can not take a player at a position you already drafted (yes it can happen in real life but I didn't want to be stuck picking the same position.)

Here are the results. (Leaving default mode on)

image.png

The only thing I didn't like about this one is I couldn't get a WR or CB higher.  I'm not a big fan of Coby Bryant, but he looks to me to be a 4th or 5th corner type of guy.  This would push Eli Apple back into the starting lineup where I thought he performed admirably last year.  I'm really hoping we can get Wydermyer in the 3rd or 4th.  He's got all of the physical tools to dominate, he just never quite put it together at A&M.  

image.png.1433e1daea903b74d08e49b8fc3c1807.png

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Now that we are getting closer to BPA, I wanted to redo this draft. I had 3 rules. 

1. We don't need a QB or K, so ignore those positions. 

2. You must take the top player on the board regardless of position (other than QB or K, see rule 1)

3. You can not take a player at a position you already drafted (yes it can happen in real life but I didn't want to be stuck picking the same position.)

Here are the results. (Leaving default mode on)

image.png

Matt Araiza seems to be a hot pick for Bengals mocks.  I wonder if he can hold for FGs and XPs or if that would go to Brandon Allen.  It's a small, but important part of Huber's game that he did really well.  I think we still have Drew Chrismann (sp?) on the PS as well.

5 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Matt Araiza seems to be a hot pick for Bengals mocks.  I wonder if he can hold for FGs and XPs or if that would go to Brandon Allen.  It's a small, but important part of Huber's game that he did really well.  I think we still have Drew Chrismann (sp?) on the PS as well.

I think it's mostly due to us drafting McPherson last year and Huber getting a little long in the tooth.

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think it's mostly due to us drafting McPherson last year and Huber getting a little long in the tooth.

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

…probably more to do with Huber being a free agent.

It's crazy to think about a guy that can consistently punt the ball 60+ yards.  Could be a weapon assuming he gets good hangtime and can be accurate 40+ yards out.  Sounds like I'm talking about a hall-of-famer if he can do all of that.

Sheesh...

16 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

It's crazy to think about a guy that can consistently punt the ball 60+ yards.  Could be a weapon assuming he gets good hangtime and can be accurate 40+ yards out.  Sounds like I'm talking about a hall-of-famer if he can do all of that.

Sheesh...

Wow. That’s impressive.  And he can backup Shooter (Araiza kicked a 51-yd FG in the video).  He also made the tackle in a couple of the punt returns…and I don’t mean after a long return.  He gets down the field to make the stop.

With filling needs through free agency, we can use a day-3 pick on this guy, assuming the accuracy and hang-time checks out (as WRAP alluded to).

Here's my first post-FA attempt. CB did NOT fall right. I really hope we can sign another one in FA to take that perceived need off the table. There are SO few 3 techs. I reached a hair on the PFF board in round 2 for one of them - although TDN has Winfrey almost first round value on their board...

PFF draft engine ( I turned down trading back a few times):

Round 1 (pick 31) - Jermaine Johnson II, Edge, FSU

Round 2  (pick 63) - Perrion Winfrey, IDL, Oklahoma

Round 3 (pick 95) - Max Mitchell, T, Louisiana

Round 4 (pick 136) - Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

Round 5 (pick 174) - Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

Round 6 (pick 209) - Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State

Round 7 (pick 226) - Doug Kremer, C, Illinois

Round 7 (pick 252) - Josh Thompson, CB, Texas 

The Draft Network draft engine (they do not have special teams loaded into theirs...)

Round 1 (pick 31) -  DeMarvin Leal, IDL, Texas aTm

Round 2  (pick 63) -  Dylan Parham, IOL, Memphis

Round 3 (pick 95) -  Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas aTm

Round 4 (pick 136) -  Coby Bryant, CB Cincinnati

Round 5 (pick 174) -  Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee State

Round 6 (pick 209) -  Michael Woods II, WR, Oklahoma

Round 7 (pick 226) -  Esezi Otomewo, Edge/IDL, Minnesota

Round 7 (pick 252) -  Mike Harley, WR, Miami (Fla)

56 minutes ago, membengal said:

Here's my first post-FA attempt. CB did NOT fall right. I really hope we can sign another one in FA to take that perceived need off the table. There are SO few 3 techs. I reached a hair on the PFF board in round 2 for one of them - although TDN has Winfrey almost first round value on their board...

PFF draft engine ( I turned down trading back a few times):

Round 1 (pick 31) - Jermaine Johnson II, Edge, FSU

Round 2  (pick 63) - Perrion Winfrey, IDL, Oklahoma

Round 3 (pick 95) - Max Mitchell, T, Louisiana

Round 4 (pick 136) - Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

Round 5 (pick 174) - Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

Round 6 (pick 209) - Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State

Round 7 (pick 226) - Doug Kremer, C, Illinois

Round 7 (pick 252) - Josh Thompson, CB, Texas 

The Draft Network draft engine (they do not have special teams loaded into theirs...)

Round 1 (pick 31) -  DeMarvin Leal, IDL, Texas aTm

Round 2  (pick 63) -  Dylan Parham, IOL, Memphis

Round 3 (pick 95) -  Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas aTm

Round 4 (pick 136) -  Coby Bryant, CB Cincinnati

Round 5 (pick 174) -  Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee State

Round 6 (pick 209) -  Michael Woods II, WR, Oklahoma

Round 7 (pick 226) -  Esezi Otomewo, Edge/IDL, Minnesota

Round 7 (pick 252) -  Mike Harley, WR, Miami (Fla)

DeMarvin Leal and Wydermyer are two I'd be super happy if we were able to get.  I like Mike Harley too as a developmental WR.  

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Wow. That’s impressive.  And he can backup Shooter (Araiza kicked a 51-yd FG in the video).  He also made the tackle in a couple of the punt returns…and I don’t mean after a long return.  He gets down the field to make the stop.

With filling needs through free agency, we can use a day-3 pick on this guy, assuming the accuracy and hang-time checks out (as WRAP alluded to).

It's hilarious how he runs down and tries to make the tackle.  It would be cool that he could back up Shooter and maybe even take kickoffs off of his plate if we needed to.  I just don't know how high I'd jump to draft a punter...I guess I'm too old school to think about anything higher than a 6th maybe.  I read in a couple of places that teams are thinking as high as the 3rd or 4th which is too rich for my blood.

I think the highest drafted punter of recent years was Bryan Anger in round 3 (ahead of Russell Wilson). Araiza is the best punter prospect in recent years. We'd need to see how quickly he gets his kicks off and if he has good hands for catching snaps and holding for place kicks. But he certainly has a strong leg. Since he's left footed, NE might be in on him, Belichick loves left footed punters as the ball spins opposite most punters.

Back in the day Ray Guy was a first round pick and the Raiders considered it well spent. Russell Erxleban was a high first round pick as a punter/kicker but considered a bust by the Saints. 

I think Araiza will go higher than most people are thinking.  Don't think he will last past Round 4, even.

The rest of the NFL saw what a gem and cornerstone for the team for years to come the Bengals got

when they took McFearsome rather high for a kicker.  I understand (told to me by a friend?) that if we had

not gotten him when and where we did, he would have been a Brownie. God forbid.  Someone will go

high for Araiza.

That said... why not us?  Thanks to the brilliant free agency sweep(thanks Joe, Tobin and Pumpkin :wub: et al)taking this guy as high

as three would be very OK with me.  We are no longer in screaming dire need for anyone or any position and we are drafting

so low the cream of this year's crop would have been skimmed long before we draft.

Trade down for a second second and another extra pick and take this guy in round 3 or even 2.  He would be the most solid

addition to this team for years to come and more immediate impact and value than someone being groomed and a special

teamer while it happens.

Oh yeah, speaking of "told to me by a friend", a friend should whisper "retire now" in Kevin Huber's ear hole.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think Araiza will go higher than most people are thinking.  Don't think he will last past Round 4

I would even be ok with taking Araiza in round 2 (which is basically an early 3rd rder). Kickers and Punters have a huge impact on the game and so if you find an All-Pro one, there is no such thing as taking them too high. Looking back now, McPherson would have easily been worth a 2nd rounder last year.

Let's not get carried away. If we get Araiza, great but if not Chrisman seems like a decent option too. If we took Araiza in round 2 or 3, we would be missing on someone who might become a starter or good depth in a season. I wouldn't consider Araiza before round 4 and more likely 5. That means there is a reasonable chance someone else gets him. That's ok, we should be able to find useful players in rounds 3 and 4. 

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Let's not get carried away. If we get Araiza, great but if not Chrisman seems like a decent option too. If we took Araiza in round 2 or 3, we would be missing on someone who might become a starter or good depth in a season. I wouldn't consider Araiza before round 4 and more likely 5. That means there is a reasonable chance someone else gets him. That's ok, we should be able to find useful players in rounds 3 and 4. 

It would be interesting to know where Araiza ranks on the Bengals’ big board, as that will play the biggest part in when he would even be considered by this team.  Plus, factor in players that have unexpectedly fallen, each time the Bengals are on the clock.

With that said, count me among those looking to take an early flier on Araiza, assuming the measurables are good (time to get punt off, hang time, accuracy, etc.).  If we trade back and pick up an extra late-3rd or early-4th…maybe.

I did see in a link listed in another thread that someone did a PFF mock for the Cowboys, took Araiza in the 5th, and got a D- grade.  So, he obviously isn’t very high on PFF’s big board. Perhaps “team need” plays a big part in their grading system, and the Cowboys already have a punter…so, D-. :shrug: 

9ED65178-8BF3-4D0C-8DE0-222D8AC79E4B.thumb.jpeg.d223f5844bf79415aca707cd31b0c02c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

It would be interesting to know where Araiza ranks on the Bengals’ big board, as that will play the biggest part in when he would even be considered by this team.  Plus, factor in players that have unexpectedly fallen, each time the Bengals are on the clock.

With that said, count me among those looking to take an early flier on Araiza, assuming the measurables are good (time to get punt off, hang time, accuracy, etc.).  If we trade back and pick up an extra late-3rd or early-4th…maybe.

I did see in a link listed in another thread that someone did a PFF mock for the Cowboys, took Araiza in the 5th, and got a D- grade.  So, he obviously isn’t very high on PFF’s big board. Perhaps “team need” plays a big part in their grading system, and the Cowboys already have a punter…so, D-. :shrug: 

9ED65178-8BF3-4D0C-8DE0-222D8AC79E4B.thumb.jpeg.d223f5844bf79415aca707cd31b0c02c.jpeg

You're correct from what I understand.  Team need, positional value and player PFF rank, are supposed to factor into those grades.

1 hour ago, CalifBengalfan said:

They figure we won`t need a punter so a wasted pick 😁

We were able to draft McPherson becuase we traded down and got an extra pick. Perhaps we will look to do the same thing this year. I actually did a mock this morning and traded down twice so picked up all kinds of extra picks. It was agreat 'depth' draft. 

Archived