Mock Draft Simulators

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Every time I draft him PFF gives me a D plus or minus. I suspect they just dont believe in drafting punters?

This. PFF does not value punters so if any team takes him before the sixth round it gets a D or an F grade in their sim.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We were able to draft McPherson becuase we traded down and got an extra pick. Perhaps we will look to do the same thing this year. I actually did a mock this morning and traded down twice so picked up all kinds of extra picks. It was agreat 'depth' draft. 

I don`t disagree with drafting the punter if he is as good as what little bit of the clips peeps have shown. He doesn`t score points, but field position is critical so maybe round 4 if we have 2 pics in the 4th or 5?

1 hour ago, CalifBengalfan said:

I don`t disagree with drafting the punter if he is as good as what little bit of the clips peeps have shown. He doesn`t score points, but field position is critical so maybe round 4 if we have 2 pics in the 4th or 5?

He does score points.  That's why this punter is kinda crazy....  (He's your punter and back-up PK in case of an injury)

From: https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4361496/matt-araiza

Career Stats
Stats   FG%   FG     1-19  20-29   30-39   40-49  50+    LNG   XPM   XPA    PTS
2021    64.3  18-28  0-0   3-3     9-10    3-6    3-9    53    45     45     99
2020    71.4  10-14  0-0   5-5     3-4     2-4    0-1    48    23     24     53
2019    84.6  22-26  0-0   10-10   5-6     7-10   0-0    48    28     28     94

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

There has been talk on here about the punter also being the holder for field goals.  I would like to see them go Old School and have the back to having the back up quarterback be the holder and stand up and throw the pig once in awhile.  That was cool.

I remember those days.  I think the switch to punter was because they have more time to practice and be good at that…while the backup QB needs to get a few reps and stay in the playbook; so in theory, the backup QB doesn’t have as much time to practice place holding..which is a SUPER important thing.

For this one I wanted focus on secondary depth (and potentially a starter at CB), and depth at TE and along the Oline.  I failed at a lot of this. 

31 - Winfrey being there at 31 was BPA in my opinion and I couldn't pass him up. 

63 - Faalele would be nice to have depth at tackle and with Collins' injury history we need that

95 - I prefer the TE from A&M, but Ruckert would be nice to develop behind Hurst for a year and hopefully ready to take over

136 - I was hoping to get a CB higher, but Jobe could be decent.  I don't think he'd be ready to start over Apple, but you never know

174 - Here's where I started drafting positions instead of BPA.  I'm not too familiar with Corker, but it sounds like he'd be a good ST'er and maybe 3rd safety.  I don't know that he'll ever be a high-level starter, but maybe slightly below average starter could be his ceiling

209 - sounds like Taylor-Stuart has all of the physical traits, especially speed, but injuries have been a huge part of his story.  If that goes away, this could be our #2 CB in a couple of years

226 - We need edge players.  I know Ossai is coming back, but we don't know how good he is.  Right now Hendrickson is the only edge player we have that we know can create pressure and doesn't have to mainly rely on the QB holding the ball too long.  You can never have too many edge players,  With this pick Otomewo is 6'6" and if nothing else should be able to bat down a few passes.  He's definitely a developmental guy

252 - Tre Turner could be the next Housh, just in terms of draft position, then NFL production.  I love the idea of a WR who has all of the physical talent, but played with bad QBs.  Here's the blurb on him from TDN:

image.png.0cc1cfd14a0f6bdec52e99cbb62ac605.png

image.png.e1bf16a6215d028c282f5b48c61e1f3d.png

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

95 - I prefer the TE from A&M, but Ruckert would be nice to develop behind Hurst for a year and hopefully ready to take over

That TE from A&M might fall completely out of the draft after that abysmal performance he put on at his pro day. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Correct. That guy timed only slightly faster than half this board. 

🤣 🤣 🤣 He HAD to be dealing with an injury or something, right?  Watching him play this year he looked like a mismatch!

Thought that I read the interviews for him were going horribly wrong at the combine and people were starting to wonder if his heart was still into it.  Start of smoke and mirrors season though, so that could all be a ton of BS too.

40 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

My latest, I call this the "Reload the offense with hometown heroes" version 

aaw-2

How bout Devonte Wyatt as the next young star at 3tech?

What a rotation of Hill and his prodigy.

Pressure up the core extreme..

These swift cats are getting harder to find.

Id trade up to get him..

20 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

How bout Devonte Wyatt 

I think he likely goes in the top 15 picks and is long gone by 31.

I also can't see the Bengals trading up for any player. I think they are more likely to trade back. But I am now of the view that you stay put and take the best player at 31 to get that 5th year option, which is key leverage in contract negotiations. 

I say take the punter in the 4th or 5th round (Ariza). Taking McPherson won us a few games, and the NFL is a game of field position. I say go for it. The guy is the best kicer in the country, including NFL. 

What's a 4th round pick for a player that will last you 10-15 years and will be among the top punters every season? I had always wondered why kickers were hardly ever drafted.. Knowing what we know now about McPherson, do you think someone would spend a higher pick on him than we did if he re-entered the draft this year?

17 hours ago, Gary said:

I say take the punter in the 4th or 5th round (Ariza). Taking McPherson won us a few games, and the NFL is a game of field position. I say go for it. The guy is the best kicer in the country, including NFL. 

What's a 4th round pick for a player that will last you 10-15 years and will be among the top punters every season? I had always wondered why kickers were hardly ever drafted.. Knowing what we know now about McPherson, do you think someone would spend a higher pick on him than we did if he re-entered the draft this year?

Jordan Stout is more reliable than Arza.

I am now on TEAM TAKE ARAIZA (the Punter) at the end of Round 3. I think he will go at the top of Round 4 and we shouldn't risk it.

He will make a much larger impact and start every game, something any other 3rd rounder at another position likely wouldn't do. 

7 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I am now on TEAM TAKE ARAIZA (the Punter) at the end of Round 3. I think he will go at the top of Round 4 and we shouldn't risk it.

He will make a much larger impact and start every game, something any other 3rd rounder at another position likely wouldn't do. 

Same here BJ, let's get the two best legs in the league.

Speaking of all this draft stuff, i look forward to all those graphics and stats and stuff you post when we actually draft our guys. Idk where you get em all but I hope you continue to do so 👍

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I agree.  Esp if the would do the aforementioned trade with Seattle and end up with an extra second and high third as well as our own.  Take Araiza with the second, lower/our draft pick.  Only question is how highly do they think of Ohio State punter, Dru Chrisman, who was on and off the practices squad last year and signed to a futures contract shortly after the season.  They must think something of him to keep him around and pay him for a year.

16 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Stats on Ariza vs Stout..

Ariza

51.2 ave...

79punts..

37 inside 20 with

"15 touchbacks and 17 fair catches"

Jordan Stout..

46.0 ave

67punts..

35 inside the 20 

3 touchbacks...30 fair catches.

Ariza has a power leg but

Placement and overkicks his return team too much..

Stout less powerful but great hangtime and placements..

Id be good with either but Stout seems

to have the edge in placement in the red zone.. 

Archived