Guest TML: Which other Cincinnati athletes garnered as much attention as Joe Burrow?

James Sprague
March 29, 2022
Cincinnati Enquirer

Just how suave and cool is Saint Joe Burrow? Our patron saint of football found his way to Columbus this past weekend for UFC Fight Night and went viral for his appearance at the event.

From throwing out a “Who Dey!”, introducing himself to one of the UFC greats, Daniel Cormier, during a break in the action and chatting with MMA fighter Kai Kara-France of New Zealand after his bout, Saint Joe’s presence was almost as notable as the UFC card itself Saturday night.

It made me wonder, too … who was the last professional Cincinnati athlete that garnered as much attention as St. Joe is starting to garner now? Chad (Ocho Cinco) Johnson? Ken Griffey Jr.? Deion Sanders during his stints here? Peter Edward Rose?

The list of professional Cincinnati athletes who have that star power, and can show up anywhere, at any type of event, and catch the attention of others in attendance AND the television cameras seems to be a short one.

I’m sure I’m missing someone, and no slight is intended on my part. I just get this feeling we’re really witnessing something special with St. Joe, that we haven’t seen here before or at least not seen in a long time.

The one thing I get a kick out of is how he goes up and introduces himself to folks such as Daniel Cormier this past weekend, or even in the heat of battle at Super Bowl LVI to Von Miller, Aaron Donald and Eric Weddle.

It’s done in such a down-to-earth manner, like a kid introducing himself to his sports heroes, and shows off some of those Midwestern manners his parents obviously instilled.

I can’t help it … the more I see of the guy, the more I like.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2022/03/29/cincinnati-bengals-qb-joe-burrows-celebrity-cool-display-ufc/7202278001/

Archived