The rest of Free Agency

Free agency has obviously been a success so far. We have gotten back to at least where we started at every position but 3T and drastically improved the OL. With that said we still have yet to make good on some of the capital we should have from playing in the super bowl and having Joe Burrow at QB. While I am sure both helped us get 3 new OL starters and to replace CJ so efficiently, I would like to see a flurry of veteran free agents sign before the draft. After the draft has both positives and negatives as deals should come down but competition might go up. I would like to see one guy at WR, LG, 3T, Edge, S and CB. I will touch on other positions as well but I don’t believe any of those spots deserve the focus. Anybody signed between now and the start of the season is likely just a carrot for a rookie or young guy who might be released if the younger guy shines but provides valuable insurance.  

LG  

LG is the only real hole on the offensive line. It seems apparent that they are going to let Carman-Smith and maybe a draft pick duke it out. If they wanted to there are 3 guys left with starting experience who could come in and provide more stability 

1. Quinton Spain: The obvious and most likely guy. Started 16 games at LG for the Bengals in 2022 and was their second highest rated guard. Is already 31 and likely looking around to see if he can cash out somehow before returning to compete. Both sides want him here but I think it depends on the rest of the roster construction and his desire for a definitive starter role. 90 career starts 

1. Ereck Flowers-Commies: He has started 101 games over his career at LG and LT with 16 coming last year at LG.  

1. JC Tretter-Browns: He isn’t a LG, but for this exercise he gets grouped here because if we signed him and started him at C he would improve LG by shifting Karras over. Tretter is 31 with reported knee issues but he has 90 career starts, 16 last year and graded out 78.7 overall, 83.7 pass blocking, 74.8 in the run.  

I want Spain back here, if he is willing to come cheap. Tretter is the wild card. Curious why he isn’t anywhere yet.  

3T 

With Larry Ogunjobi (probably) leaving we have a gap as the second 3T in the rotation and truly another player in the 5 man front we also like to run. This might be the biggest gap we currently have on the team. I think it’s likely we draft one in Rd 1-3 but I am also thinking that it’s a position we shouldn’t ignore in free agency because of its importance. There are about 7 guys that I think could be interesting here.  

1. Calais Campbell-Ravens: At 35 Campbell was still a stud in terms of PFF grading if not production. PFF had him at 84.6 overall, 77.9 in the pass rush and 80.8 in the run game. He started 14 games and had 49 tackles with 12 QB hits although just 1.5 sacks. Snapwise he was about 50/50 with 230 snaps in the B gap and 219 over the tackle (OVT).  

1. Akiem Hicks-Bears: He is rumored to be going lots of places so this one might be moot but at 32 and just 305 snaps last year in 9 starts he is likely my favorite. His personality would fit the group like a glove (see interview) and his numbers are still there. PFF has him at 72.3 overall, 71.9 pass rush and 65.9 run D. Statswise he had 25 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 9 hits. He simply seems to play with the energy and have the personality that would fit this squad perfectly. 182 snaps in the B gap, 94 OVT.  

1. Larry Ogunjobi-Bengals: After the failed physical I think there is a chance he is back. I am frankly not 100% sure that’s best for the team. The more you dig the more you see that he is maybe more flash than stability. He will go for the big play and it causes problems. You can’t deny the production (49t-12tfl-7s-16qbhits), PFF has him just at 47.6 overall.  

1. Mike Daniels-Bengals: Another familiar and beloved face. The soon to be 33 Daniels played just 65 snaps last year on a team that was deep at 3T and they haven’t brought him back, but I do think he has a place here, especially if he is on a reduced snap count. 

1. Sheldon Richardson-Vikings: The 31-year-old Richardson played 688 snaps last year for the Vikings putting up 39t-6tfl-2.5s and 13 QB hits on 7 starts. His versatility makes him interesting, playing 184 B, 148 OVT and 310 Outside of the tackle. We may already sort of have that player in Hubbard-Sample-Kareem. 

1. Ndamukong Suh-Bucs: Suh will be 35 years old this year and his PFF numbers weren’t great (52.4 overall, 54.3 pass rush) but his production was (27t-7tfl-6s-13qb hits). He played 352 snaps at the B gap and 311 at OVT.  

1. Malik Jackson-Browns: At 32 he has a poor year per pff (44.4 overall, 54.5 pass rush) on 646 snaps mostly at B (341). He produced 25t-2tfl-.5s and 7qb hits.  

CB 

Corner is still a pretty huge need. Eli Apple played well last year but also gave up big plays. Having him back is ok, but I would much rather have another veteran to pair with him and likely a rookie in the first 2 rounds. The problem becomes, who comes knowing that is the scenario they are walking into? 

1. Stephon Gillmore-Panthers: Even at 32 he would be the biggest win of the group. An elite corner with a 79.4 coverage game last year in just 304 snaps. 2ints and 2pd in 3 starts. 

1. Jason Verrett-49ers: Just 60 snaps in 2021 after an ACL tear in the opener. Played 803 snaps in 2020 with a 77.6 overall grade and 76.1 in coverage (60tackles, 7pd, 2ints). Ankle injury in 2019 held him to 5 snaps after 2018 was ended due to an Achilles, 2017 ended with a knee injury and 2016 ended due to an ACL. 5 of the last 6 years ended in injury but he is just 30 years old.  

1. Marcus Trufant-Raiders:31 years old, 66.1 overall and 63.4 coverage in 277 snaps. Started 10 games with 17 tackles and 6 passes defensed.  

1. Jimmy Smith-Ravens: Smith has been a Raven for life so he probably won’t leave for a part time position somewhere else but he wasn’t bad in his 293 snaps last year. 62.9 overall, 67.1 in coverage. Just 18tackles and 3 passes defensed.  

1. Stephen Nelson-Eagles: The ex-steeler (29) might be the prize of this group. Played with Hilton in Pittsburgh and Hilton was already tweeting to bring him here. In Philly last year his run stops were better than his coverage (70.6-60.6) in 1052 snaps over 16 starts. 50 tackles, 7pds and 1 int.  He played on a 1 year $3,010,000 contract last year.  

1. Joe Haden-Stealers: Haden is 33 and coming off a pretty bad year that was actually graded higher than Apple (62.1 overall, 64.2 coverage). He had 38 tackles and 6 passes defensed 

1. Xavier Rhodes-Colts: Rhodes played 695 snaps last year with a PFF overall grade of 62.1 and 64.2 in coverage but very poor 48 in run stopping. He had 39t, 7pd and 1int.  

1. Kevin King-Packers: King is the youngest of the group at 27 and had a good year with a 71 overall, and 68.4 coverage grade. He started 311 snaps with 29 tackles and 3 passes defensed. I have vague memories of watching a game where he was continuously targeted and played poorly but his pff numbers against us weren’t terrible.  

Other names: Robert Alford, Aj Bouye (slot), Daryl Roberts, Chris Harris (slot), Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Kyle Fuller 

BENCH 

WR 

At WR I think the team could use a veteran 4th receiver although I expect at least one draft pick and we might wait at this position until then.  Simmons has indicated that he would love to have a dynamic returner and Taylor is solid there but not special (although he did have a 12.7pr avg in the playoffs). Pooka Williams might end up being that dynamic piece but that remains to be seen. There are 5 guys still on the market who have returned kicks 

1. Dante Pettis-Giants:  In college 21pr-20.4avg-4td; 9career prtds. Caught 4-76-1. He is reportedly immature and will be on his 3rd team despite being drafted in the 2nd by the 49ers. Has some upside at WR but you wouldn’t want a guy like this to poison a good room. 

1. Alex Erickson-Panthers: 8.9pr avg last year. Obviously, a familiar guy who probably doesn’t bring much more than Taylor 

1. Chester Rogers-Titans: 9.8pr, 20.1kr in 2021. Decent pass catcher about 70% out of the slot, 30-293-0 last year. 6-0 184.  

1. Dede Westbrook-Vikings: 8.3pr. Some conversation about him last offseason. 

1. DeAndre Carter-Commies: 25.1kr, 8.4pr 2021. Caught 24-296-3, 63% outside, 37% on the slot. He is my favorite of the group. Should come on a vet minimum deal and compete for a spot.   

Edge 

The Edge position should really be a veteran the way the team is set up. We have 2 very good starters who are paid like it in Hubbard and Hendrickson. Ossai was a 3rd round investment last year and flashed like a difference maker in the preseason. Beyond the top 3 we have Kareem, Sample and even Hubert. All with upside. Next year is the perfect year to draft a DE. This year is the perfect year to sign a veteran to 1 year deal to see what we have in the 4 young guys. The list of possible veterans is quite long.  

1. Melvin Ingram-Chiefs: Ingram is 33 but had a great year on 731 snaps. 80.9 overall ranking and 77.3 pass rush grade. He had 25 tackles for 4tfl with 2 sacks and 11 hits.   

1. Justin Houston-Ravens: Houston overall was 77.9 overall and 77.4 In pass rush. He is 33 as well and was a bit more productive with 34 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 6 tfl and 17 QB hits.  

1. Olivier Vernon-Free Agent: Maybe the biggest wild card. Played on Anarumo teams in both Miami and New York. Was out all of last year with an Achilles injury suffered in the playoffs of 2020. That season of 2020 was special. 36 tackles, 12tfl, 9sacks and 16 QB hits. Overall, his grade in 2020 was 74.8 and his pass rush grade was 71.6.  

1. Jerry Hughes-Bills: Hughes is 34 and played 624 snaps last year. He has a 70.7 overall grade, 81.2 on pass rush while putting up just 18 tackles, 1 tfl, 2 sacks and 7 qb hits. Grades are great, productions was not on those snap counts.  

1. Mario Addison-Bills: My favorite of the group. 35 years old and seems to be willing to accept a backseat although he had 539 snaps last year. Opposite of Hughes in that his PFF numbers aren’t great (60.8 overall, 64.2 pass rush) but his production was pretty great (29 tackles, 8tfls, 7 sacks and 8 QB hits).  

1. Jason Pierre-Paul-Bucs: JPP would be a huge prize most years but his production (2.5s, 5 QBhits on 699 snaps) and grades (44.9 overall, 51.5 pass rush) were below average at age 33. If he wants to play he might fit well in limited snaps. 

1. Carlos Dunlap-Seahawks: Some bridges have probably been burnt here but he is a sack away from the all-time leader in Cincy and maybe he would run it back for a year or two if things can be mended. Dunlap is 33 and put up 14 QB hits and 8.5 sacks on 482 snaps last year. 

1. Trey Flowers-Lions: Flowers is just 29 and did almost nothing this year with 1.5 sacks on 24 tackles. Hasn’t played more than 7 games in 2 years and has had 2 down years but is still fairly young and made an impact a few years ago. 

1. Morgan Fox-Panthers: I love Fox. He is a guy I wanted last year after making an impact on the Rams. High motor guy who would be great within a rotation but might not be the edge guy that would fit this roster right now. 6 sacks in 2020 but just 1.5 last year.  

1. Kemoko Turay-Colts: A wildcard who somehow had 5.5 sacks this year on just 8 tackles. It seems impossible really. He is jus 27 and somehow has 12 sacks in his career on 33 tackles........what is this? 

Other names: Jadeveon Clowney, Alex Okafor, Tak McKinley, Kerry Hyder, Pernell McPhee, Stephen Weatherly 

Safety 

Depth at Safety is a problem this year and, as of today, both safeties are free agents after this year so it may be a problem going forward. A safety for depth is essential but someone long term could make sense as well. 

Long Term  

1. Andrew Adams-Bucs: At 29 he’s certainly not as young as the rest of the group but he also doesn’t have the wear his age suggests. 214 snaps last year he was 76.4 overall, 81.5 vs the Run, 68 in coverage. He had an int, 4pd and 24 tackles.  

1. Keanu Neal-Cowboys: This one is fascinating because he had an awful year after switching to LB for the Cowboys. Just 27 for the Falcons in 2020 he was 68.2 overall, 67.9 v the run and 66.2 in coverage. He had 100 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 1 sack and 2 pd. Injured in 18 and 19 but over 100 tackles in each of 2016 and 2017. A former first round pick looking for a home late in the process sounds pretty familiar.  

1. Deshon Elliot-Ravens: He’s just 25 but already has 22 career starts with 6 coming last year. 65.6 overall grade, 66.2 in the run, 61.7 coverage on 305 snaps. 23 tackles, 3 for loss, 3 qb hits, 1 sack, 2pd and 1int.  

1. Ronnie Harrison-Browns: Everyone loves Harrison, but the Jags and Browns coaches who just keep letting him walk. At just 25 last year he was 60.8 overall, 78.3 vs the run and 54.5 in coverage. On 584 snaps he had 58 tackles, 4 for loss with 3 passes defensed and an int.  

1. Terrelle Edmunds-Stealers: Keeping our enemies close take 3. The former surprise Stealers first rounder has been a disappointment. He is only 25 and has 60 career starts already. His overall grade last year of 60.1 is overshadowed by his coverage grade, 71.6 and his stats (89 tackles, 8 for loss, 2ints and 6 passes defensed) 

Short Term 

1. McCourty-Dolphins: He is 35 but might still have some in the tank. In 312 snaps last year he was 72.1 overall with a coverage rating of 73.5. He only had 2 passes defensed.  

1. Rodney McCleod-Eagles: He has 123 career starts and wasn't great last year in coverage with a 58.4 grade. He did have 58 tackles, 4 passes defensed and 2 ints 

1. Jaquirski Tartt-49ers: Tartt has 64 starts over his career but seems to always be the guy the niners want to replace. His grades were average (61.8 overall, 62.1 coverage) as were his stats (58 tackles, 4pd, 2int) 

1. Damonte Kazee-Cowboys: Kazee moved to the Cowboys with Quinn and Neal starting 15 games after an injury held him to 4 in 2020. He was best in coverage at 65.1 grade with 2pd and 2ints. 

1. Kareem Jackson-Broncos: I expected Jackson to be more highly graded (42 overall, 48.5 coverage on 895 total snaps). The 34-year-old has 168 career starts and had just 2 passes defensed last year with 1 int.  

1. Tashon Gipson-Bears: Gipson is a bit younger than Jackson at 32 but he has nearly as many starts at 132. He graded poorly as well at 51.5 overall and 50.8 coverage, defending 3 passes and 2 ints 

QB 

The team loves Allen, but I would like to see someone who I had more confidence in winning games if Burrow got hurt or someone who provided a diverse skillset and whose mobility could get first downs if necessary.  

1. Geno Smith-Seahawks: Did pretty well last year in his 3 starts. 73.9 overall, 71.4 passing. He thew for 702 yards completing 68% of his balls with 5 tds and 1int. He is 32 with 34 career starts.  

1. Josh Dobbs-Stealers: The fit for Dobbs and our current roster is nearly perfect in my opinion. He is just 27, a mobile athlete with an incredible arm and super intelligent. He probably doesn’t have a home in Pittsburgh this year and will be open to being on the practice squad.  

RB 

The RB room is as talented as it gets and the position doesn’t really call for much more investment. Perrine was a bit maligned for his play at the end of the super bowl but overall, he has been solid. As long as our depth is good and Mixon is at the top the investment should probably an end of the draft rookie or undrafted free agent.  

Offensive Line 

The offensive line could always use some veteran depth beyond the LG spot. Especially if they go with youth at LG. There is also a chance to improve the swing tackle spot.   

C 

1. Brett Jones-Broncos: 19 career starts for the 31-year-old. Graded out as 77.6 (overall), 73.6 (pass block) and 76.1 (run block) on 138 snaps.  

1. BJ Finney-Stealers:  We already had him here once and gave up on him. He bounced back to the Stealers for 2 starts last year grading out 71.4-74-66.8 

1. Matt Paradis-Panthers: Started 9 games last year grading out at 66.9-53.6-69.9. He is 33 with 98 career starts.  

1. Trey Hopkins-Bengals: Hopkins wasn’t great last year (52.2-61.4-47.8) but he is familiar. At 30, if healthy, he could probably throw in starts anywhere on the line but LT.  

G 

1. Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff-Chiefs: He would fit the character of the team exceptionally well, and at a vet minimum could really be worth an opportunity. He has 64 career starts, with 7 last year (the season after he returned to Canada and worked the front lines in the fight against Covid.)   

Swing Tackle 

1. TY Nsekhe-Cowboys: Hard to believe he is 37 but he still might have some tread on the tires after starting his career very late. He has started 17 career games after getting his first as a 30-year-old rookie on Washington.  

1. Julian Davenport-Colts: He is just 27 and has put up 32 starts at LT and RT in the past. His numbers were poor last year but flashed the year before. (45.3-28.8-62) 

1. Rashod Hill-Vikings: 22 career starts at LT and RT. Not great numbers last year in his 5 starts (42.5-39.3-47.1) 

I find it amazing the number of well known top tier players still available as free agents.

Granted, the majority of those are pretty long in the tooth so mainly short term fixes.

It's really nice that we're not  desperate for any position upgrade, so there's no reason to throw stupid money around.

As it gets later maybe you can get a nice addition at a bargain price.

Also - didn't see Tyrann Mathieu on you safety list - he's the best out there and it's not even close......unless he signed and I missed it.

Anyway - nice work piecing all this together.  🖕

6 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Free agency has obviously been a success so far. We have gotten back to at least where we started at every position but 3T and drastically improved the OL. With that said we still have yet to make good on some of the capital we should have from playing in the super bowl and having Joe Burrow at QB. While I am sure both helped us get 3 new OL starters and to replace CJ so efficiently, I would like to see a flurry of veteran free agents sign before the draft. After the draft has both positives and negatives as deals should come down but competition might go up. I would like to see one guy at WR, LG, 3T, Edge, S and CB. I will touch on other positions as well but I don’t believe any of those spots deserve the focus. Anybody signed between now and the start of the season is likely just a carrot for a rookie or young guy who might be released if the younger guy shines but provides valuable insurance.  

LG  

LG is the only real hole on the offensive line. It seems apparent that they are going to let Carman-Smith and maybe a draft pick duke it out. If they wanted to there are 3 guys left with starting experience who could come in and provide more stability 

1. Quinton Spain: The obvious and most likely guy. Started 16 games at LG for the Bengals in 2022 and was their second highest rated guard. Is already 31 and likely looking around to see if he can cash out somehow before returning to compete. Both sides want him here but I think it depends on the rest of the roster construction and his desire for a definitive starter role. 90 career starts 

1. Ereck Flowers-Commies: He has started 101 games over his career at LG and LT with 16 coming last year at LG.  

1. JC Tretter-Browns: He isn’t a LG, but for this exercise he gets grouped here because if we signed him and started him at C he would improve LG by shifting Karras over. Tretter is 31 with reported knee issues but he has 90 career starts, 16 last year and graded out 78.7 overall, 83.7 pass blocking, 74.8 in the run.  

I want Spain back here, if he is willing to come cheap. Tretter is the wild card. Curious why he isn’t anywhere yet.  

3T 

With Larry Ogunjobi (probably) leaving we have a gap as the second 3T in the rotation and truly another player in the 5 man front we also like to run. This might be the biggest gap we currently have on the team. I think it’s likely we draft one in Rd 1-3 but I am also thinking that it’s a position we shouldn’t ignore in free agency because of its importance. There are about 7 guys that I think could be interesting here.  

1. Calais Campbell-Ravens: At 35 Campbell was still a stud in terms of PFF grading if not production. PFF had him at 84.6 overall, 77.9 in the pass rush and 80.8 in the run game. He started 14 games and had 49 tackles with 12 QB hits although just 1.5 sacks. Snapwise he was about 50/50 with 230 snaps in the B gap and 219 over the tackle (OVT).  

1. Akiem Hicks-Bears: He is rumored to be going lots of places so this one might be moot but at 32 and just 305 snaps last year in 9 starts he is likely my favorite. His personality would fit the group like a glove (see interview) and his numbers are still there. PFF has him at 72.3 overall, 71.9 pass rush and 65.9 run D. Statswise he had 25 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 9 hits. He simply seems to play with the energy and have the personality that would fit this squad perfectly. 182 snaps in the B gap, 94 OVT.  

1. Larry Ogunjobi-Bengals: After the failed physical I think there is a chance he is back. I am frankly not 100% sure that’s best for the team. The more you dig the more you see that he is maybe more flash than stability. He will go for the big play and it causes problems. You can’t deny the production (49t-12tfl-7s-16qbhits), PFF has him just at 47.6 overall.  

1. Mike Daniels-Bengals: Another familiar and beloved face. The soon to be 33 Daniels played just 65 snaps last year on a team that was deep at 3T and they haven’t brought him back, but I do think he has a place here, especially if he is on a reduced snap count. 

1. Sheldon Richardson-Vikings: The 31-year-old Richardson played 688 snaps last year for the Vikings putting up 39t-6tfl-2.5s and 13 QB hits on 7 starts. His versatility makes him interesting, playing 184 B, 148 OVT and 310 Outside of the tackle. We may already sort of have that player in Hubbard-Sample-Kareem. 

1. Ndamukong Suh-Bucs: Suh will be 35 years old this year and his PFF numbers weren’t great (52.4 overall, 54.3 pass rush) but his production was (27t-7tfl-6s-13qb hits). He played 352 snaps at the B gap and 311 at OVT.  

1. Malik Jackson-Browns: At 32 he has a poor year per pff (44.4 overall, 54.5 pass rush) on 646 snaps mostly at B (341). He produced 25t-2tfl-.5s and 7qb hits.  

CB 

Corner is still a pretty huge need. Eli Apple played well last year but also gave up big plays. Having him back is ok, but I would much rather have another veteran to pair with him and likely a rookie in the first 2 rounds. The problem becomes, who comes knowing that is the scenario they are walking into? 

1. Stephon Gillmore-Panthers: Even at 32 he would be the biggest win of the group. An elite corner with a 79.4 coverage game last year in just 304 snaps. 2ints and 2pd in 3 starts. 

1. Jason Verrett-49ers: Just 60 snaps in 2021 after an ACL tear in the opener. Played 803 snaps in 2020 with a 77.6 overall grade and 76.1 in coverage (60tackles, 7pd, 2ints). Ankle injury in 2019 held him to 5 snaps after 2018 was ended due to an Achilles, 2017 ended with a knee injury and 2016 ended due to an ACL. 5 of the last 6 years ended in injury but he is just 30 years old.  

1. Marcus Trufant-Raiders:31 years old, 66.1 overall and 63.4 coverage in 277 snaps. Started 10 games with 17 tackles and 6 passes defensed.  

1. Jimmy Smith-Ravens: Smith has been a Raven for life so he probably won’t leave for a part time position somewhere else but he wasn’t bad in his 293 snaps last year. 62.9 overall, 67.1 in coverage. Just 18tackles and 3 passes defensed.  

1. Stephen Nelson-Eagles: The ex-steeler (29) might be the prize of this group. Played with Hilton in Pittsburgh and Hilton was already tweeting to bring him here. In Philly last year his run stops were better than his coverage (70.6-60.6) in 1052 snaps over 16 starts. 50 tackles, 7pds and 1 int.  He played on a 1 year $3,010,000 contract last year.  

1. Joe Haden-Stealers: Haden is 33 and coming off a pretty bad year that was actually graded higher than Apple (62.1 overall, 64.2 coverage). He had 38 tackles and 6 passes defensed 

1. Xavier Rhodes-Colts: Rhodes played 695 snaps last year with a PFF overall grade of 62.1 and 64.2 in coverage but very poor 48 in run stopping. He had 39t, 7pd and 1int.  

1. Kevin King-Packers: King is the youngest of the group at 27 and had a good year with a 71 overall, and 68.4 coverage grade. He started 311 snaps with 29 tackles and 3 passes defensed. I have vague memories of watching a game where he was continuously targeted and played poorly but his pff numbers against us weren’t terrible.  

Other names: Robert Alford, Aj Bouye (slot), Daryl Roberts, Chris Harris (slot), Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Kyle Fuller 

BENCH 

WR 

At WR I think the team could use a veteran 4th receiver although I expect at least one draft pick and we might wait at this position until then.  Simmons has indicated that he would love to have a dynamic returner and Taylor is solid there but not special (although he did have a 12.7pr avg in the playoffs). Pooka Williams might end up being that dynamic piece but that remains to be seen. There are 5 guys still on the market who have returned kicks 

1. Dante Pettis-Giants:  In college 21pr-20.4avg-4td; 9career prtds. Caught 4-76-1. He is reportedly immature and will be on his 3rd team despite being drafted in the 2nd by the 49ers. Has some upside at WR but you wouldn’t want a guy like this to poison a good room. 

1. Alex Erickson-Panthers: 8.9pr avg last year. Obviously, a familiar guy who probably doesn’t bring much more than Taylor 

1. Chester Rogers-Titans: 9.8pr, 20.1kr in 2021. Decent pass catcher about 70% out of the slot, 30-293-0 last year. 6-0 184.  

1. Dede Westbrook-Vikings: 8.3pr. Some conversation about him last offseason. 

1. DeAndre Carter-Commies: 25.1kr, 8.4pr 2021. Caught 24-296-3, 63% outside, 37% on the slot. He is my favorite of the group. Should come on a vet minimum deal and compete for a spot.   

Edge 

The Edge position should really be a veteran the way the team is set up. We have 2 very good starters who are paid like it in Hubbard and Hendrickson. Ossai was a 3rd round investment last year and flashed like a difference maker in the preseason. Beyond the top 3 we have Kareem, Sample and even Hubert. All with upside. Next year is the perfect year to draft a DE. This year is the perfect year to sign a veteran to 1 year deal to see what we have in the 4 young guys. The list of possible veterans is quite long.  

1. Melvin Ingram-Chiefs: Ingram is 33 but had a great year on 731 snaps. 80.9 overall ranking and 77.3 pass rush grade. He had 25 tackles for 4tfl with 2 sacks and 11 hits.   

1. Justin Houston-Ravens: Houston overall was 77.9 overall and 77.4 In pass rush. He is 33 as well and was a bit more productive with 34 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 6 tfl and 17 QB hits.  

1. Olivier Vernon-Free Agent: Maybe the biggest wild card. Played on Anarumo teams in both Miami and New York. Was out all of last year with an Achilles injury suffered in the playoffs of 2020. That season of 2020 was special. 36 tackles, 12tfl, 9sacks and 16 QB hits. Overall, his grade in 2020 was 74.8 and his pass rush grade was 71.6.  

1. Jerry Hughes-Bills: Hughes is 34 and played 624 snaps last year. He has a 70.7 overall grade, 81.2 on pass rush while putting up just 18 tackles, 1 tfl, 2 sacks and 7 qb hits. Grades are great, productions was not on those snap counts.  

1. Mario Addison-Bills: My favorite of the group. 35 years old and seems to be willing to accept a backseat although he had 539 snaps last year. Opposite of Hughes in that his PFF numbers aren’t great (60.8 overall, 64.2 pass rush) but his production was pretty great (29 tackles, 8tfls, 7 sacks and 8 QB hits).  

1. Jason Pierre-Paul-Bucs: JPP would be a huge prize most years but his production (2.5s, 5 QBhits on 699 snaps) and grades (44.9 overall, 51.5 pass rush) were below average at age 33. If he wants to play he might fit well in limited snaps. 

1. Carlos Dunlap-Seahawks: Some bridges have probably been burnt here but he is a sack away from the all-time leader in Cincy and maybe he would run it back for a year or two if things can be mended. Dunlap is 33 and put up 14 QB hits and 8.5 sacks on 482 snaps last year. 

1. Trey Flowers-Lions: Flowers is just 29 and did almost nothing this year with 1.5 sacks on 24 tackles. Hasn’t played more than 7 games in 2 years and has had 2 down years but is still fairly young and made an impact a few years ago. 

1. Morgan Fox-Panthers: I love Fox. He is a guy I wanted last year after making an impact on the Rams. High motor guy who would be great within a rotation but might not be the edge guy that would fit this roster right now. 6 sacks in 2020 but just 1.5 last year.  

1. Kemoko Turay-Colts: A wildcard who somehow had 5.5 sacks this year on just 8 tackles. It seems impossible really. He is jus 27 and somehow has 12 sacks in his career on 33 tackles........what is this? 

Other names: Jadeveon Clowney, Alex Okafor, Tak McKinley, Kerry Hyder, Pernell McPhee, Stephen Weatherly 

Safety 

Depth at Safety is a problem this year and, as of today, both safeties are free agents after this year so it may be a problem going forward. A safety for depth is essential but someone long term could make sense as well. 

Long Term  

1. Andrew Adams-Bucs: At 29 he’s certainly not as young as the rest of the group but he also doesn’t have the wear his age suggests. 214 snaps last year he was 76.4 overall, 81.5 vs the Run, 68 in coverage. He had an int, 4pd and 24 tackles.  

1. Keanu Neal-Cowboys: This one is fascinating because he had an awful year after switching to LB for the Cowboys. Just 27 for the Falcons in 2020 he was 68.2 overall, 67.9 v the run and 66.2 in coverage. He had 100 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 1 sack and 2 pd. Injured in 18 and 19 but over 100 tackles in each of 2016 and 2017. A former first round pick looking for a home late in the process sounds pretty familiar.  

1. Deshon Elliot-Ravens: He’s just 25 but already has 22 career starts with 6 coming last year. 65.6 overall grade, 66.2 in the run, 61.7 coverage on 305 snaps. 23 tackles, 3 for loss, 3 qb hits, 1 sack, 2pd and 1int.  

1. Ronnie Harrison-Browns: Everyone loves Harrison, but the Jags and Browns coaches who just keep letting him walk. At just 25 last year he was 60.8 overall, 78.3 vs the run and 54.5 in coverage. On 584 snaps he had 58 tackles, 4 for loss with 3 passes defensed and an int.  

1. Terrelle Edmunds-Stealers: Keeping our enemies close take 3. The former surprise Stealers first rounder has been a disappointment. He is only 25 and has 60 career starts already. His overall grade last year of 60.1 is overshadowed by his coverage grade, 71.6 and his stats (89 tackles, 8 for loss, 2ints and 6 passes defensed) 

Short Term 

1. McCourty-Dolphins: He is 35 but might still have some in the tank. In 312 snaps last year he was 72.1 overall with a coverage rating of 73.5. He only had 2 passes defensed.  

1. Rodney McCleod-Eagles: He has 123 career starts and wasn't great last year in coverage with a 58.4 grade. He did have 58 tackles, 4 passes defensed and 2 ints 

1. Jaquirski Tartt-49ers: Tartt has 64 starts over his career but seems to always be the guy the niners want to replace. His grades were average (61.8 overall, 62.1 coverage) as were his stats (58 tackles, 4pd, 2int) 

1. Damonte Kazee-Cowboys: Kazee moved to the Cowboys with Quinn and Neal starting 15 games after an injury held him to 4 in 2020. He was best in coverage at 65.1 grade with 2pd and 2ints. 

1. Kareem Jackson-Broncos: I expected Jackson to be more highly graded (42 overall, 48.5 coverage on 895 total snaps). The 34-year-old has 168 career starts and had just 2 passes defensed last year with 1 int.  

1. Tashon Gipson-Bears: Gipson is a bit younger than Jackson at 32 but he has nearly as many starts at 132. He graded poorly as well at 51.5 overall and 50.8 coverage, defending 3 passes and 2 ints 

QB 

The team loves Allen, but I would like to see someone who I had more confidence in winning games if Burrow got hurt or someone who provided a diverse skillset and whose mobility could get first downs if necessary.  

1. Geno Smith-Seahawks: Did pretty well last year in his 3 starts. 73.9 overall, 71.4 passing. He thew for 702 yards completing 68% of his balls with 5 tds and 1int. He is 32 with 34 career starts.  

1. Josh Dobbs-Stealers: The fit for Dobbs and our current roster is nearly perfect in my opinion. He is just 27, a mobile athlete with an incredible arm and super intelligent. He probably doesn’t have a home in Pittsburgh this year and will be open to being on the practice squad.  

RB 

The RB room is as talented as it gets and the position doesn’t really call for much more investment. Perrine was a bit maligned for his play at the end of the super bowl but overall, he has been solid. As long as our depth is good and Mixon is at the top the investment should probably an end of the draft rookie or undrafted free agent.  

Offensive Line 

The offensive line could always use some veteran depth beyond the LG spot. Especially if they go with youth at LG. There is also a chance to improve the swing tackle spot.   

C 

1. Brett Jones-Broncos: 19 career starts for the 31-year-old. Graded out as 77.6 (overall), 73.6 (pass block) and 76.1 (run block) on 138 snaps.  

1. BJ Finney-Stealers:  We already had him here once and gave up on him. He bounced back to the Stealers for 2 starts last year grading out 71.4-74-66.8 

1. Matt Paradis-Panthers: Started 9 games last year grading out at 66.9-53.6-69.9. He is 33 with 98 career starts.  

1. Trey Hopkins-Bengals: Hopkins wasn’t great last year (52.2-61.4-47.8) but he is familiar. At 30, if healthy, he could probably throw in starts anywhere on the line but LT.  

G 

1. Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff-Chiefs: He would fit the character of the team exceptionally well, and at a vet minimum could really be worth an opportunity. He has 64 career starts, with 7 last year (the season after he returned to Canada and worked the front lines in the fight against Covid.)   

Swing Tackle 

1. TY Nsekhe-Cowboys: Hard to believe he is 37 but he still might have some tread on the tires after starting his career very late. He has started 17 career games after getting his first as a 30-year-old rookie on Washington.  

1. Julian Davenport-Colts: He is just 27 and has put up 32 starts at LT and RT in the past. His numbers were poor last year but flashed the year before. (45.3-28.8-62) 

1. Rashod Hill-Vikings: 22 career starts at LT and RT. Not great numbers last year in his 5 starts (42.5-39.3-47.1) 

Maybe the best post on FA needs and players Ive read in awhile..

Tks for enlightening us ...

In all honesty I don't expect us to sign anyone until after the draft then see what we still could use and address that. Of the former Bengals still out there I'd like to bring back Ogunjobi once he is healthy if we don't take a 3 tech in the draft, and Tre Flowers to be our guy covering TEs.

Most teams including the Bengals are looking for value now.  Remaining top free agents are either old, injured or wanting too much money so everyone will wait for the draft.

After the draft and udfa signings, most teams start grabbing roster players that get released and leftover free agents that drop their prices. 

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

Most teams including the Bengals are looking for value now.  Remaining top free agents are either old, injured or wanting too much money so everyone will wait for the draft.

After the draft and udfa signings, most teams start grabbing roster players that get released and leftover free agents that drop their prices. 

And Captain Obvious Harry says the Bengals and all the other teams are waiting to see camp cuts, maybe late cuts teams try to fly under the radar before signing to the practice squad.

As far as the draft itself, too late for me since I am working.  I will get up early the next morning and look for the best coverage and commentary HERE, the Best Bengals news site of all. No :ninja:

11 hours ago, HOF dan said:

I find it amazing the number of well known top tier players still available as free agents.

Granted, the majority of those are pretty long in the tooth so mainly short term fixes.

It's really nice that we're not  desperate for any position upgrade, so there's no reason to throw stupid money around.

As it gets later maybe you can get a nice addition at a bargain price.

Also - didn't see Tyrann Mathieu on you safety list - he's the best out there and it's not even close......unless he signed and I missed it.

Anyway - nice work piecing all this together.  🖕

Would love Mathieu but just not sure where he fits in a list like this. I don't see us paying his price tag despite the fact that he would help the team a ton. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Thanks man. I hate that we view it as being done. Hard to imagine we couldn't solidify 6-7 spots with veterans.

Yes..

Its a load of fading beat up vets looking for a bigger paycheck than its worth..

Buy em on the 1 yr prove it

works well..

7 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

There isn't much benefit to signing any outside FAs this close to the draft unless they want to give the team a big discount. 

I would resign Tre Flowers now though, as I think he fills a unique role as a TE coverer. 

I would agree with you but I have been running the mock simulators and there is just no real way we will fill all our needs in the draft. We can get one of LG/CB/3T in the first 2 rounds but can't really get 3. Then we also have to consider TE/S and maybe even WR. If you can eliminate some of those needs I would do so ASAP. 

A simple Akhiem Hicks signing gives us more flexibility there. Then maybe you just wait to see how the draft falls. I think we can wait for every other spot but 3T is too thin. 

Definitely agree on Tre. Surprised that hasn't happened yet. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I would agree with you but I have been running the mock simulators and there is just no real way we will fill all our needs in the draft. We can get one of LG/CB/3T in the first 2 rounds but can't really get 3. Then we also have to consider TE/S and maybe even WR. If you can eliminate some of those needs I would do so ASAP. 

A simple Akhiem Hicks signing gives us more flexibility there. Then maybe you just wait to see how the draft falls. I think we can wait for every other spot but 3T is too thin. 

At this point, you need to be focused on the Draft.  The majority of the players that haven't been signed yet are still looking for Larger numbers or years  than what the teams want to pony up on.  Additionally, I'd rather see us get rookies with whom you'll get instant buy in on the team culture, instead of some body that has been in the league that may not be concerned with what they're building.  After the draft, some of those Veterans will start to look at opportunities to play for a 'Ship as opposed to maxing out their bank account.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Those guys are very likely going to be there after the draft. If we miss out on not getting someone we might have had our eye on, I expect us to sign a vet after the draft. 

Plus the longer they have to wait the increased likelihood that they will be cheaper because teams will have found guys in the draft making the aging vet market that much cheaper.

18 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

At this point, you need to be focused on the Draft.  The majority of the players that haven't been signed yet are still looking for Larger numbers or years  than what the teams want to pony up on.  Additionally, I'd rather see us get rookies with whom you'll get instant buy in on the team culture, instead of some body that has been in the league that may not be concerned with what they're building.  After the draft, some of those Veterans will start to look at opportunities to play for a 'Ship as opposed to maxing out their bank account.

Aren't the majority of professional athletes mercenaries to a large extent? As the years go by, the do get more so, I will agree, 

19 hours ago, High School Harry said:

And Captain Obvious Harry says the Bengals and all the other teams are waiting to see camp cuts, maybe late cuts teams try to fly under the radar before signing to the practice squad.

As far as the draft itself, too late for me since I am working.  I will get up early the next morning and look for the best coverage and commentary HERE, the Best Bengals news site of all. No :ninja:

6/1 could be an interesting day.

38 minutes ago, snarkster said:

6/1 could be an interesting day.

First week of May could be as well.  They no longer have to wait for June 1, they just have to designate it as a June 1 cut.  Each team is allowed two that they can release earlier but designate as a June 1 cut.  

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

There isn't much benefit to signing any outside FAs this close to the draft unless they want to give the team a big discount. 

I would resign Tre Flowers now though, as I think he fills a unique role as a TE coverer. 

Good call on Flowers as a TE cover guy..

6 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Sign or draft a 3tech ..

Im anxiously waiting for a rotational guy with Hill..

4 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Good stuff ...

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Sign or draft a 3tech ..

Im anxiously waiting for a rotational guy with Hill..

You have been in a mantra with the 3tech. 

I tend to agree…there are simply bodies outside of Hill and Reader. And I have always been skeptical of the argument “X can just slide inside from DE if needed”. 

Why not just have the player needed for the rotation? 

(Still hoping for a Larry O return…)

21 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I tend to agree…there are simply bodies outside of Hill and Reader. And I have always been skeptical of the argument “X can just slide inside from DE if needed”. 

Mantra..yes...ill stop...

Maybe Ill go to Linderbaum ..😎

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

YES!

Then why didn't he before? 

I feel like there is a lot of...well Carman can play LG....well....Sample or Kareem can play 3T....why even bother with risking it. There are dudes almost free on the market who can do it. 

Archived