Jump to content

Trade For Baker & Draft Pick?


Recommended Posts

I haven’t looked at the cap lately so I don’t know how feasible this would be, but with the Browns needing to get Baker’s contract off of the books, would you take Baker PLUS a their 2022 2nd rounder, for let’s say our 2022 6th round pick?  I think the Browns did something like this a few years ago when they had a little extra space.  I doubt we would do something like this with a division rival as it could help them extend contracts with Baker off of the books, but it’s interesting to think about (at least for me).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Interesting idea. 
 

However, I’m not grasping the benefit for the Bengals…other than the extra 2nd rounder. 
 

What else? 

 

That’s it…the 2nd rounder for “free” essentially.  Let Baker ride the pine this year and don’t re-sign him.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd rather have the 18.8 mil in cap space. Sure, a mid 2nd round pick would be nice but we only have 19 mil in cap space at present. We could restructure a player or two to clear enough space to sign the rookies and some injury replacements. But also means we wouldn't be able to fill gaps after the draft with players like an Ogunjobi or Spain or a veteran receiver or CB if we don't find talent at those positions in the draft. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Why would the Browns give up a 2nd just to get rid of Baker? They are more likely to cut him than give up a pick.

 

If they cut him all of his $18M is a dead cap hit.  If they trade him, it opens up that much cap space for them to sign more FAs or extend some of their other guys to lessen their hits in future years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

 

If they cut him all of his $18M is a dead cap hit.  If they trade him, it opens up that much cap space for them to sign more FAs or extend some of their other guys to lessen their hits in future years.

Your scenario would only benefit a team needing a starting Qb or maybe one that is not set on their Qb. Why would we pay 18 mil to get a second round pick that we would also have to pay, and a backup qb we hope never has to take the field but would be paid more than Joe Burrow. And Mayfield would not be happy being a backup with no chance to win a starting job.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CalifBengalfan said:

Your scenario would only benefit a team needing a starting Qb or maybe one that is not set on their Qb. Why would we pay 18 mil to get a second round pick that we would also have to pay, and a backup qb we hope never has to take the field but would be paid more than Joe Burrow. And Mayfield would not be happy being a backup with no chance to win a starting job.  

 

Then you just let Baker go next year.  If we had more cap room I think it would be a good move for us.  Who cares what Baker wants…tell him not to even show up for all I would care.  An extra second would be nice for us, especially with this staff being known to reach in the 2nd (Sample, Jackson).  Higgins was  good pick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. 

 it was a cheap stupid move when the browns did it, and lets look at just how  that worked out for them?

they're a shit show,

  so yea,  lets take a great start to a new direction where we just came short of winning the super bowl , change direction  and follow their model.  .

 

no thank you. 

Please.... no....  

 

 besides I believe Hobson has already written how we are  close to the cap and  all we have left is room for the draft picks and injuries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

 

Then you just let Baker go next year.  If we had more cap room I think it would be a good move for us.  Who cares what Baker wants…tell him not to even show up for all I would care.  An extra second would be nice for us, especially with this staff being known to reach in the 2nd (Sample, Jackson).  Higgins was  good pick.  

Ok, so tell Baker don`t show up and pay his 18 mil salary. Add in the money the 2nd rounder will be paid, just to have a second rounder? That is hardly a 2nd rounder for free. Don`t think that is a good scenario even if we had the cap space. Why not just go out and pay a proven vet on a position you can use on a 1 or 2 yr deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, no, no and no. We have a good locker room vibe right  now and bringing in a sulking Baker Mayfield to play 2nd string at his salary would mess that up. Plus, Paul Brown Stadium is Joe Burrow's house. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

No, no, no and no. We have a good locker room vibe right  now and bringing in a sulking Baker Mayfield to play 2nd string at his salary would mess that up. Plus, Paul Brown Stadium is Joe Burrow's house. 

 

 

Co-sign

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, CalifBengalfan said:

Your scenario would only benefit a team needing a starting Qb or maybe one that is not set on their Qb. Why would we pay 18 mil to get a second round pick that we would also have to pay, and a backup qb we hope never has to take the field but would be paid more than Joe Burrow. And Mayfield would not be happy being a backup with no chance to win a starting job.  

 

I think there is enough of a market for Baker that it will not come to this for the Browns and agree about the weird locker room problems. But I think you're underestimating how cheap 2nd round picks are an how much excess financial value there is. 

 

Just as a frame of reference, Jesse Bates was drafted in the mid-2nd round and played out his rookie deal, which was 4-years, $6.8M ($1.7M per year). Even if you had to add $18M on top of that to pay him $24.8M over 4 years at just over $6M per year, that's a great value for what Bates gave us those four years.

 

It is easy to imagine getting another $10M per year player and only having to pay him $7M per (if you add on the $18M upfront cost) and making your team better. 

 

Imagine that the mid-2nd round draft prospects in 2022 were FAs last month. Would you have happily paid whichever top 10 CB you think slides into the 2nd round (Kyler Gordon?) or whichever mid-2nd round OL (Cam Jurgens?) $7M per year? BJ Hill got $10M per year. Is there a 2nd round DT you would have paid $3M per year less and felt good about it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, happyrid said:

 

I think there is enough of a market for Baker that it will not come to this for the Browns and agree about the weird locker room problems. But I think you're underestimating how cheap 2nd round picks are an how much excess financial value there is. 

 

Just as a frame of reference, Jesse Bates was drafted in the mid-2nd round and played out his rookie deal, which was 4-years, $6.8M ($1.7M per year). Even if you had to add $18M on top of that to pay him $24.8M over 4 years at just over $6M per year, that's a great value for what Bates gave us those four years.

 

It is easy to imagine getting another $10M per year player and only having to pay him $7M per (if you add on the $18M upfront cost) and making your team better. 

 

Imagine that the mid-2nd round draft prospects in 2022 were FAs last month. Would you have happily paid whichever top 10 CB you think slides into the 2nd round (Kyler Gordon?) or whichever mid-2nd round OL (Cam Jurgens?) $7M per year? BJ Hill got $10M per year. Is there a 2nd round DT you would have paid $3M per year less and felt good about it? 

There is a market for Baker just that the team(s) who want him will wait until after the draft.  
 

You are right, if you find quality starting players in the 2nd round or later it is huge.  4 years at a reasonable price.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

A team should expect to get a quality player who will become a starter when using a 2nd round pick. NFL careers average less than 4 years so teams turn over the bottom 25% or so of their rosters each year. 


Drew Sample and Jackson Carman (still TBD) say hi 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, happyrid said:

 

I think there is enough of a market for Baker that it will not come to this for the Browns and agree about the weird locker room problems. But I think you're underestimating how cheap 2nd round picks are an how much excess financial value there is. 

 

Just as a frame of reference, Jesse Bates was drafted in the mid-2nd round and played out his rookie deal, which was 4-years, $6.8M ($1.7M per year). Even if you had to add $18M on top of that to pay him $24.8M over 4 years at just over $6M per year, that's a great value for what Bates gave us those four years.

 

It is easy to imagine getting another $10M per year player and only having to pay him $7M per (if you add on the $18M upfront cost) and making your team better. 

 

Imagine that the mid-2nd round draft prospects in 2022 were FAs last month. Would you have happily paid whichever top 10 CB you think slides into the 2nd round (Kyler Gordon?) or whichever mid-2nd round OL (Cam Jurgens?) $7M per year? BJ Hill got $10M per year. Is there a 2nd round DT you would have paid $3M per year less and felt good about it? 

 Lets not forget Drew sample was a 2nd round pick, so that doesn`t sound as good. And paying rookies who may or may not produce to take on this scenario is questionable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...