Trade For Baker & Draft Pick?

1 hour ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Lets not forget Drew sample was a 2nd round pick, so that doesn`t sound as good. And paying rookies who may or may not produce to take on this scenario is questionable.

Lets also not forget Sample should not have been a 2nd round pick.  Sounds better when talking Higgins or Bates

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Well sure, it's possible for a pick to bust. First rounders do it all the time. But first and second rounders should be expected to become useful starters. 

True.  I feel like 99% of Bengals fans thought both Sample and Carman were taken too high so those stick out when they don't work.

4 hours ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Lets not forget Drew sample was a 2nd round pick, so that doesn`t sound as good. And paying rookies who may or may not produce to take on this scenario is questionable.

True. So was Tee Higgins. And free agents bust too. We paid Trae Waynes a ton of money for nothing. So we shouldn't act like you automatically get good production from a free agent either.

Personally, I think if rookies came into the league as unrestricted free agents instead of in the draft, the 2nd round guys would get deals in the $5-to-8M per year range. 

Since you only pay them $2M per year under the current system, there is excess financial value there. I think if you could straight up buy an early 2nd round pick, a price tag of $15-20M would make sense.

The last time this actually happened, the Browns used the pick they "bought" to take Nick Chubb. And had him for 4 years, $8M. I think they came out ahead, even with having to take on $18M for Osweiler.

Archived