Some "crazy" Draft ideas for pick 31

Some kinda-crazy Draft ideas for pick #31 that I thought of (but not that crazy). #ThinkOutsideTheBox

1.  Take Iowa State RB Breece Hall. 

He is clearly the #1 runner in the class and would give the Bengals a cheap all-pro potential RB for the next 5 seasons. He would make a great 1-2 punch with Mixon and could step in as a starter if there was an injury. Also, if the Bengals run into cap issues in 2-3 seasons when reupping Burrow and Chase, salary could be saved by moving on from 10 mill a year Mixon to Hall. 

2. Take QB Desmond Ridder.

Yes the Bengals have Burrow, but I don't think anyone believes Brandon Allen could step in if there was a serious injury. Interestingly, Ridder was recruited to Cincinnati by current Bengals HC Zac Taylor. So he is very familiar with his game and how to use him. In fact, Ridder probably is not in this current draft without Zac discovering him. This move would provide a backup plan if Burrow gets injured and the Bengals could also trade him in a year or two if they need for a 1st rounder, and basically get this pick back.

3. Take P Matt Araiza.

Ok, I know. A punter!? But he would likely have a bigger impact on the 2022 Bengals than any other player they could take at #31. McPherson showed the impact that special teams can have on a Super Bowl run and the importance of a good punter should not be underestimated. For example, let's say his big leg means five 65 yard punts a game, versus five 45 yard punts a game from a normal punter. That is equivalent to 100 yards of additional offense  (5x20) = the same as a RB or WR who gained 100 yards. The Kicker Janikowski went in Rd 1 and Araiza is just as good of a prospect as he was. Plus I think a team will take him late in Rd 2 before we pick and shock everyone anyway. 

4. Take the best remaining QB on the board to force a trade for him.

This could possibly be Matt Corral, and force the team who wanted to take him at the top of Rd 2 or even with Pick 32 (the Lions) to trade their next years 1st rounder (or two 2nd rounders this year, the Seahawks?) for him. This would be done Thursday night, or perhaps overnight going into Draft day 2 on Friday. If no team trades for him right away, you have a backup QB and you can trade him during the pre-season once a starting QB goes down for another team (at the price of a first rounder in the 2023 draft). 

5. Take DE David Ojabo. 

At one time he was talked about as a top 10 pick. But tore his achilles in pre draft workouts. Taking him would be placing him on a redshirt year, as the Bengals have Ossai and Wyatt coming back off injury anyway at DE and wouldn't need him next year. This pick would be about the future though and 2023-2025, when he could be a cheap but all pro DE if he lives up to his potential. 

6. Take WR Alec Pierce. 

Hometown stud WR in an NFL now where WR's cost 30 million a year. Although he is often thought of as a 2nd rounder, if you like a player and he can become a starter for you, who cares. The Bengals need a quality 4th WR and a guy who can step in if Chase and Higgins were injured and potentially be "the guy". Pierce has size and speed and keeps some of that Bearcat magic in the city. Chris Simms in his scouting of WR's really loves Pierce and thinks he could be the best of the entire bunch. 

7. Take C Cam Jurgens

Tyler Linderbaum is usually the only center mocked in RD 1, but he may be gone and Jurgens has been rising up boards lately, and could be seen as a "poor-mans" Linderbaum (though some scouts think he could be just as good if not better). Some mocks have him going in Rd 2 or Rd 3, but I think he will go in the first half of Rd 2, so it is not that much of a reach. The Bengals met with Jurgens at the Combine where he gave out his own beef jerky that he makes, which already makes him a legend and he is a former TE, so has amazing pulling ability in Zac's zone run scheme. Zac and Burrow (through his family) both have Cornhusker ties, so he is likely on their radar.  Plus, Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager is very high on Jurgens and did a feature on him recently.

Thoughts? Complaints? Any of your own crazy ideas to add? 

1. no,

it never works well having this 1-2 punch , and just when we have players putting the team over their stats lets draft mixons replacement .  

2. no .. a QB? 

3.no .....a punter?

4, no a QB? 

5, No  we did this with OT Ohgodhecantblocki 

for some reason you just cant take already injured kid, hand him a bunch of money. and a guaranteed job for 4 years and get results. 

6 WR, not in the 1st .

right now you have all the skill players you need, on offense , they work hard for each others success,

dont fuck with their chemistry by bringing in a replacement for one of them , and that is exacly what it would be. . 

7.non skill  BPA , if thats him then thats the pick. 

IMO it should be interior OL or DL,   or trade down 

Like your thoughts and post a lot Dr Jesus.

My thinking is if we would trade down for, say, a second and a third,

I would give serious consideration to some of them.

Redshirting Ojabo for low 2nd or even 3rd round $$ is not a bad idea.

Maybe not the first round for some of them but the second... 

With Arizia, someone is going to take him higher than expected.

Would like to know what the Bengals see in OSU Drue the virtually red shirted punter from last year.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Another injured player though.

Bad start..

But you’re drafting for more than 1 season. Kid is a top 15-20 prospect. With Burrow at QB we won’t get many shots at those guys the next 10 years. Or at least we hope. 

NFL.com's Adam Rank, actually thinks the Bengals should take Breece Hall ...

Pick
Iowa State · RB · Junior

First, you’re going to love running backs from Iowa State. Trust me. I know this might be a bit reckless because cornerback would likely be a better option at this point. However, I do like the idea of taking a running back here. Drafting a super-talented back late in Round 1 for a five-year run, and then moving on, seems like a pretty sound investment.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

Looks like the Bengals gave a visit to WR Alec Pierce as well ... 

What does the Bengals’ interest in Alec Pierce say about Tee Higgins’ future?

By Dadio Makdook 

Cincinnati’s coaches may be looking to 2024.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: OCT 02 Cincinnati at Notre Dame

The Bengals recently gave a top-30 visit to University of Cincinnati wide receiver Alec Pierce, meaning they used one of their 30 opportunities to get an in-person evaluation of a player on him.

Does that mean they’ll draft him? Not necessarily. However, it does mean they are open to taking a receiver early, as Pierce is expected to go in the first three rounds. The Bengals, of course, have holes at cornerback and interior pass rusher and a question mark at left guard. Receiver is arguably the strongest position group on the team.

With the explosion of the receiver market this offseason, it’s sadly becoming clear that the Bengals are unlikely to have all three of Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd on the team in 2024. So the front office, knowing the value of talented receivers on rookie contracts, is apparently already preparing for that situation.

While Boyd is the most likely departure, his replacement would not look like Pierce, a huge, jump ball target who rather fits the mold of Higgins. Last year, Higgins took a tremendous step forward in his development, and that could put him out of Cincinnati’s price range in a couple of years.

We talk about the team’s interest in Pierce in the video below:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/4/17/23028048/what-does-the-bengals-interest-in-alec-pierce-say-about-tee-higgins-future

Breece Hall, the punter and the QB ones seem crazy and would be awful picks for a team in a window to win it now. 

I don't have any problem with taking a C, DE, or WR if they were far and away the BPA. The three guys you listed are all projected to go outside the top 40. Reaching for one of those guys doesn't seem like a great move. 

Here's my crazy draft idea.

Target the CB they want (I want) that they can afford.

Andrew Booth, Jr.   Another College Tiger in pinstripes to join the NFL Tiger in pinstripes.

Where is Booth likely going?  San Diego @ #17, New England @ #21 or Arizona @ #23.  

Gamble that the Chargers take a WR @ #17.  

Never trade with the Squealers who pick @ #20.

New Orleans has pick #19 and #16.  

Saints want a QB and a WR, but really need the QB, so they probably won't trade pick #16, which leaves trading with them pick #19.

Need to start by offering the #31 pick and our 3rd Rd pick (#95).  

They'll ask for a 2nd from next season.  They might make the trade if we offer them a 4th from next season.  

Why take that risk.  Offer them our 3rd next season and they should take it.  NO needs those three picks more than they need the #19 pick.

With the Bengals 2nd Rd pick, they can probably get DL Logan Hall.  While he's not a Tiger, he is a Cougar, so we're keeping with the Cat family.

So, the Bengals come out of the first 2 days of the draft with Booth and Hall, costing only next year's 3rd round pick, #96.  That is one heck of a draft for the first two days.

2 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

Here's my crazy draft idea.

Andrew Booth, Jr. 

While Booth is the CB that I like best of the realistic first rounders that could be available at pick 31 (and I love his ability to play the run), I think trading up for a player with an injury concern (his core) is a little steep, and if they were going to trade up for a CB, it should be for Stingley if he fell past #10 or so. (Ideally I would love Sauce, but I think he's going top 5)

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

While Booth is the CB that I like best of the realistic first rounders that could be available at pick 31 (and I love his ability to play the run), I think trading up for a player with an injury concern (his core) is a little steep, and if they were going to trade up for a CB, it should be for Stingley if he fell past #10 or so. (Ideally I would love Sauce, but I think he's going top 5)

I'd rather have one Stingley than two Booth's, but Stingley will go Top-10, and that price to pay is too steep.

7 hours ago, membengal said:

Booth didn't test and had off-season surgery. He comes with significant questions. If they take him at 31, I will cross my fingers and hope for the best but I definitely don't think they should be trading up for him in any event. 

Yeah, I know he didn't test.  But, they brought him in for one of their limited number of Private Workouts.  It's worth the gamble to see if he falls, and he could fall quite a bit.  I just don't think he falls to #31.  I just can't see him getting past both BUF @ #25 and KC @ #29.  So, trading with DAL @ I would definitely be all-in on, as this would only cost our #31, and perhaps our 4th from this year.  I'd give that up for him.

Since the Chiefs pick directly ahead of us, back-to-back, it's interesting to note this comments from the Chiefs G.M. regarding what he thinks will be there when he gets to take two of them off the board before us.

From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports' comments:

Speaking at a pre-draft presser, Chiefs GM Brett Veach noted that the team only has first-round grades on 16-18 players.

"The odds of maybe one of those guys falling isn't great," Veach added. The Chiefs pick at 29 and 30. This doesn't necessarily create a trade-up or trade-back scenario, but it adds some fuel to the idea that Kansas City might be willing to move. Particularly if they could get a first-round wideout that they really believe in to replace Tyreek Hill. Veach said that he doesn't "anticipate" making a huge jump. But it does sound like picks in the early teens could be a sweet spot for trades, and that could be the range Kansas City targets. 

SOURCE: Kansas City Star
Apr 24, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

Click on the source link for the story from the Kansas City Star.

So, it comes down to who do the Bengals have as 1st Round Grades when it comes to Cornerbacks, if a 1st Round quality CB is what they covet, which I think they do.  This isn't Mike Brown doing this anymore.  All of the comments such as, "Well, the Bengals have never done blah, blah, blah in the past; or, the Bengals have always done blah, blah, blah in the past", have no relevance towards what they will do on Thursday.  This is all new territory, 1st time experiences for those in charge now with the player-personnel decisions.  Anything can happen.

Based on what I've seen in Free Agency and the last two drafts under the new regime, I think they target a particular CB, and he is "reachable" by trading up, I think the Bengals do it.  They are really after quality the last couple of years.  No more trying to find "diamonds-in-the-rough".  No more street urchins drafted while trying to rub a lamp to see if it's a magic lamp and will grant them three wishes.  The guessing games are gone.  They go after sure things now.  Booth seems like the surest thing to me that they can reach from where they pick and the cost of moving up to a spot where Booth may fall to.

8 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

So, it comes down to who do the Bengals have as 1st Round Grades when it comes to Cornerbacks, if a 1st Round quality CB is what they covet, which I think they do.  This isn't Mike Brown doing this anymore.  All of the comments such as, "Well, the Bengals have never done blah, blah, blah in the past; or, the Bengals have always done blah, blah, blah in the past", have no relevance towards what they will do on Thursday.  This is all new territory, 1st time experiences for those in charge now with the player-personnel decisions.  Anything can happen.

Based on what I've seen in Free Agency and the last two drafts under the new regime, I think they target a particular CB, and he is "reachable" by trading up, I think the Bengals do it.  They are really after quality the last couple of years.  No more trying to find "diamonds-in-the-rough".  No more street urchins drafted while trying to rub a lamp to see if it's a magic lamp and will grant them three wishes.  The guessing games are gone.  They go after sure things now.  Booth seems like the surest thing to me that they can reach from where they pick and the cost of moving up to a spot where Booth may fall to.

Agree about the Bengals leaning corner than 3tech ..

BPA between the two..

Bengals are loaded on offense..

Rushers and protectors are priorities.

Archived