Draft Week Questions ???

It's 2022 DRAFT WEEK  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should the Bengals prioritize?

• Need
    • Best Player Available
  2. 2. Which of these is the Bengals biggest need?

• G
    • DT
    • CB
    • TE
    • S
  3. 3. If Linderbaum is there at pick 31 should the Bengals take him?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Which of these CBs would you prefer? (if you had to choose)

• CB Andrew Booth Jr.
    • CB Kaair Elam
    • CB Kyler Gordon
    • CB Roger McCreary
  5. 5. Should the Bengals trade up in Rd 1 ?

• Yes
    • No, stay put
    • No, trade down into Rd 2 for more picks
  6. 6. Would you be ok with the Bengals taking a WR, TE, or RB at #31 ?

• Yes, if BPA ... more weapons
    • No, we need to focus on the trenches or secondary
  7. 7. If Linderbaum is gone, which of these players would you want most at 31?

• S Lewis Cine
    • CB Andrew Booth Jr.
    • CB Kaair Elam
    • DT Logan Hall
    • DT Travis Jones
    • DE George Karlaftis
    • TE Trey McBride

Bengals first round options: Would center Tyler Linderbaum be the line's final piece?

6d0b487f-4755-4767-b7a9-8eb75411a753-CG_

Charlie Goldsmith

Cincinnati Enquirer

At the NFL Combine on March 3, two offensive guard prospects spoke about their visits with the Bengals coaching staff. The Bengals showed early interest in a couple of projected early NFL Draft picks, but this was before the Bengals changed 60% of their starting offensive line.

Also at the combine, Bengals offensive line coach Frank Pollack said he was going through tape of offensive line free agents. The Bengals went on to sign offensive tackle La’el Collins, offensive guard Alex Cappa and center/guard Ted Karras. Afterward, the Bengals pivoted their strategy for the draft.

FILE - Iowa offensive lineman Tyler Linderbaum (65) looks to make a block during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Illinois, Nov. 20, 2021, in Iowa City, Iowa. Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum announced Friday, Jan. 14, 2022, he'll skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall, File)

“It makes the need (at offensive line) less pressing,” Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said. “You’ve got four starters and a spot open for competition at left guard. If there’s one available that fits and we like a lot, then we certainly would be open to taking that player. But that definitely doesn’t feel as pressing like we have to have a guy at a certain spot or else we’re going to fall.”

NFL mock draft: Cincinnati Bengals go defense-heavy in 1st 3 rounds

2022 NFL Draft: How Bengals fans can watch and live stream

In the 2022 NFL Draft, there are three offensive linemen who could be available in the first round and make sense for the Bengals with the No. 31 pick: guards Zion Johnson and Kenyon Green and center Tyler Linderbaum.

Linderbaum, who was an All-American at Iowa, would likely step in as a day one starter at center if the Bengals drafted him in the first round. If the Bengals invest a first round pick at center, Karras would likely move to guard.

In Linderbaum’s pre-draft testing, he proved he had standout athletic traits. Linderbaum’s results in the vertical leap, broad jump, 40-yard dash and three-cone drill were rare for a center. Linderbaum has impressive range for a lineman and is effective at getting downfield to make multiple blocks on a single play.

In the passing game, Linderbaum’s strength and his effective hand placement made him successful. But some evaluators have questioned how his pass protection will translate to the NFL level.

Linderbaum is relatively short for his position, and his biggest weakness is his lack of arm length. Especially in the AFC North, there are long, athletic defensive tackles who are known for using their size to create pressure up the middle. Linderbaum could struggle against these matchups since he doesn’t have the same physical profile. 

In the run game, Linderbaum could be a perfect fit for the Bengals wide-zone scheme. But when the Bengals shift toward their drop back passing offense, Linderbaum doesn’t have experience or much track record proving he can be a dominant pass protector over the middle. 

Linderbaum will likely have a long NFL career, but he’d be a big investment for the Bengals on the interior offensive line. The Bengals already gave Cappa the highest offensive guard free agent contract in franchise history, and Cincinnati hadn’t previously spent aggressively at that position.

If the Bengals drafted Linderbaum and moved Karras to guard, then they’d have two big contracts at offensive guard. The Linderbaum selection would improve the offensive line by adding a powerful anchor up the middle, but the Bengals passing offense would be much different from the Iowa scheme that he thrived in.

Bengals first round options: Cornerback Kaiir Elam could fill a very specific role

Bengals first round options: How Clemson CB Andrew Booth could bring explosiveness

“We were more aggressive signing free agents, and that allows the draft to fall to you a little bit,” Callahan said. “You can make determinations based on who the best players are for the team and less about the actual position of need that can be more glaring… We don’t have any glaring needs on offense.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/04/24/bengals-mock-draft-iowa-offensive-lineman-tyler-linderbaum/7370897001/

Bengals NFL Draft Primer: A Breakdown of Potential Targets in All Seven Rounds

Cincinnati has eight picks in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Coming off of their Super Bowl appearance, the Bengals addressed their biggest weakness in free agency by signing three offensive linemen. 

They have eight picks in the 2022 NFL Draft and have a chance to fix some of their remaining weakness. 

Here’s a look at some of the players they could be targeting in all seven rounds: 

First Round: Pick 31

Kaiir Elam, CB

Florida cornerback Kaiir Elam had the potential to be a top 15 draft pick going into the 2021 season, but injuries caused his production to fade. The Bengals need another corner and Elam is a long, athletic defensive back that is efficient in both man and zone coverage. The downside for Elam is his tackling abilities, but he still would be a home run pick for the Bengals. 

Tyler Linderbaum, C

Perhaps the most talked about prospect among Bengals fans, Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum projects to be a long term starter. His power and toughness make him a fantastic prospect. His hand placement and footwork are pros as well. The negative for Linderbaum is arm length and positional versatility. Despite that, he would be a fantastic choice for Cincinnati.

Andrew Booth, CB

Clemson corner Andrew Booth is one of the best options at 31. He’s great in man coverage, efficient in zone, a polished tackler, and can make his fair share of highlight-reel plays. He does have a lengthy injury history, but he's a tremendous prospect.

Logan Hall, IDL

Defensive lineman Logan Hall is getting some first round hype. He can play almost anywhere on the defensive line and is a very capable pass rusher. In an ideal world, he'd be able to play on the edge and move inside to defensive tackle on passing downs. An interior pass rusher is a big need for the Bengals and Logan Hall fits that description.

Kyler Gordon, CB

Washington corner Kyler Gordon is another name popping up for the Bengals in the first round. He isn’t quite on the same level as Elam and Booth, but he’s an athletic corner that excels in zone coverage and is efficient in man coverage. He’s one of the best fits in round one, so keep an eye on him when the Bengals are on the clock.

Kenyon Green, G

Despite adding three new starters to the offensive line, it’s hard to believe they're done adding help in the trenches. Green has a chance to be on the board when the Bengals are on the clock, but he’s one of the least likely choices listed. He has a good build and is a tough blocker. He would be a good selection, but there hasn’t been much smoke around the Bengals taking an offensive lineman in round one.

George Karlaftis, EDGE

This is an option that I don’t see being available, but some believe he could fall to the end of round one. George Karlaftis is an explosive edge rusher as well as a capable run defender. He could be a late round steal and a terrific addition to the Bengals' defense.

Second Round: Pick 63

Cam Taylor-Britt, CB

If the Bengals don't draft a cornerback in round one, Cam Taylor-Britt out of Nebraska makes sense in the second round. He’s solid in man coverage, but his abilities in zone are outstanding. He's a great tackler, he flies around, makes plays, and hits hard.

Greg Dulcich, TE

Dulcich is my number one overall tight end in this draft. Although the Bengals added Hayden Hurst, they still could use help following the departure of C.J. Uzomah. He’s an athletic tight end with good route running abilities. It’s always good to give Joe Burrow more weapons, and Dulcich is explosive enough to make an impact as a rookie. 

Perrion Winfrey, IDL

As mentioned earlier, the Bengals could use another interior pass rusher. Perrion Winfrey could be the perfect replacement for Larry Ogunjobi. While he struggles in the run game from time to time, he has ideal first step explosiveness and athleticism to be a successful three technique in the NFL.

Cam Jurgens, C

Cam Jurgens is a powerful center, and while he isn’t as NFL ready as Linderbaum, he has potential to be a quality center in the NFL. If the Bengals get a corner in round one, they can add more talented depth to their offensive line here. 

Nick Cross, S

With Jessie Bates on the franchise tag, Ricardo Allen’s retirement, and Vonn Bell in the final year of his contract, there are some questions about the future of the safety position for the Bengals. While it’s not an immediate need, the Bengals could still use a third safety for the 2022 season and potentially a new starter in 2023. 

Nick Cross projects to be a free safety in the NFL. His big hits and tackling ability could allow him to play strong safety too. If the Bengals want to address the position, they could do it in round two. 

Third Round, Pick 95

Matthew Butler, IDL

Tennessee defensive lineman Matthew Butler could be a great selection for the Bengals in the third round. He’s a quick interior pass rusher and could be their solution behind B.J. Hill at three technique. He also has the versatility to kick out to five technique, so if the Bengals are looking to add an interior pass rusher on day two of the draft, Butler is a perfect candidate.

Luke Fortner, C

Fortner was a three year starter for Kentucky, and although he projects best as a center, he does have some experience at right guard. He has moments where he struggles in pass protection, but adding some interior depth in the third round could make sense. 

Alex Wright, EDGE

UAB edge rusher Alex Wright is a physical pass rusher with ideal athletic traits. He’s flown under the radar for most of the draft process, but the Bengals could use another athletic edge rusher. Joseph Ossai looks to play his first snaps this season and while I believe he’s going to be a great player, it never hurts to add another defensive end.

Zyon McCollum, CB

McCollum isn’t as NFL ready as Elam or Booth, but with the return of Eli Apple the Bengals can afford to add a developmental corner. One thing that really stands out with McCollum is his ball skills. Adding another player that can force turnovers would be big for the Bengals' defense

Rounds 4-7

Fourth Round, Pick 136

Verone McKinley, S

Oregon safety Verone McKinley was one of my favorite players to watch during the 2022 draft process. His ball skills and tackling stood out the most. He has some areas for improvement, but is pretty balanced in his abilities and could be a perfect fit for the third safety spot on the Bengals' defense.

Tyquan Thornton, WR

Although the Bengals have three extremely talented receivers, they could use a fourth. Tyquan Thornton could be an ideal pick in the fourth round. He has exceptional separation abilities and high-end speed. He could immediately get targets as the fourth receiver and would be a nice deep threat option for Burrow.

Coby Bryant, CB

The Bengals should take two cornerbacks in this draft, and although the second is likely to be a late round selection, Cincinnati Bearcats corner Coby Bryant could be hard to resist if he makes it to the fourth round. Bryant was targeted a lot because he played alongside Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner. He held his own and even won the Jim Thorpe award for the best cornerback in the country.

Charlie Kolar, TE

Charlie Kolar is a pretty balanced tight end who is capable as a receiver and as a blocker both in the run and passing game. His downside is his ability to run after the catch, but he could be a good backup behind Hurst.

Curtis Brooks, IDL

Curtis Brooks brings a lot to the table as an interior pass rusher. He’s an older prospect, but has the potential to develop into an above average pass rusher in the NFL. 

Fifth Round, Pick 174

Jason Poe, G/FB

The most interesting thing about Jason Poe is he is listed as a guard and a full back. His strength and speed allow him to play the full back position, but these are two great traits that translate to his play at guard. He tested very well and he moves like a high end athlete. 

Hassan Haskins, RB

Michigan running back Hassan Haskins is another player that could offer great value as a late round pick. While he doesn’t bring the same pass catching abilities as Chris Evans, he would give Cincinnati a tough, late-down back.

Velus Jones, WR

Duke Tobin mentioned earlier this offseason that he wanted to find an explosive returner. Velus Jones could fill that role. He ran a 4.31 forty yard dash and had good production as a returner for Tennessee. I don’t see him getting many chances as a receiver, but adding a quality returner makes a lot of sense in round five.

Sixth Round, Pick 209

Smoke Monday, S

Although most of the talk about Smoke Monday has been about his name, the Auburn safety is most notable for his tackling abilities and his power behind his hits. He doesn’t offer much in coverage yet, but he has enough talent to be a late-round pick. 

Nephi Sewell, LB

If you were “Team Sewell” during the draft process last year, I got just the guy for you. Nephi Sewell is a talented linebacker from Utah who is often overlooked due to playing with first round linebacker prospect Devin Lloyd. He’s a smaller linebacker, but has good instincts and is capable of being good depth for the Bengals' defense.

Seventh Round, Pick 226

Ty Fryfogle, WR

Indiana receiver Ty Fryfogle could be a seventh round steal for the Bengals. He lacked production this past season due to quarterback issues and injuries, but he has good abilities as a possession receiver. 

Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa, EDGE

The former Notre Dame defensive lineman is a versatile run defender who also shows ability to rush the passer. He played mostly three technique at Notre Dame, but moved outside this past season. He's a quality option on day three. 

Seventh Round, Pick 252

Kennedy Brooks, RB

The Bengals already have two Oklahoma running backs in Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine, and Kennedy Brooks is another one that makes sense. He’s a quality power back and would be great value with the Bengals' last draft pick.

Kolby Harvell-Peel, S

Oklahoma State safety Kolby Harvell-Peel is a talented tackler and mostly plays the strong safety position. He’s another guy that could be a nice depth selection this late in the draft. 

For more on what the Bengals could do in the draft, watch the video below and subscribe to our YouTube Channel.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-nfl-draft-primer-breakdown-potential-targets-all-seven-rounds#gid=ci029f8cfdd00025d4&pid=second-round-pick-63

1. BPA, except QB or RB

2. DT

3. Depends on who else is available but I voted no

4. Elam. I think he’s the best fit for us, but I don’t think he will be there 

5. I would love a trade up but it’s not happening 

6. Maybe a WR. Hell no to RB or TE. 

7. Elam is my #1 guy (of the “realistic” options - I’m not convinced he will be there). Cine is also high on my list and could well be there, but Hall could well be the pick. 

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals can get immediate starters at 31, depends on the position. Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green or Tyler Linderbaum would start ahead of Carman. A CB might beat out Apple in training camp. Let's not act like upgrades aren't possible. 

I suspect if it's Linderbaum Karras moves over and Linderbaum starts, but I think it's an assumption that any G we might draft is an automatic scratch over Carman. Carman was a disappointment last year but by all accounts he is doing what he is supposed to be doing now. Whether that turns into him starting or not well see but I'm not sure I'd pencil in any rookie G just yet. Same with any CB beating out Apple who aside from the superbowl against basically the best WR in the game last year anyway, played pretty well. Case could be made that if he didn't stop Hill in the AFCC before the half that we aren't in the SB

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I suspect if it's Linderbaum Karras moves over and Linderbaum starts, but I think it's an assumption that any G we might draft is an automatic scratch over Carman. Carman was a disappointment last year but by all accounts he is doing what he is supposed to be doing now. Whether that turns into him starting or not well see but I'm not sure I'd pencil in any rookie G just yet. Same with any CB beating out Apple who aside from the superbowl against basically the best WR in the game last year anyway, played pretty well. Case could be made that if he didn't stop Hill in the AFCC before the half that we aren't in the SB

I believe the team wants players that fit the wide zone blocking on offense..

You need quicker olinemen rather than huge ones..

Carman was big blob in his first year..

He needs to  come into camp toned down maybe 315 or less..

I think Big Q is facing that hurdle as well..

He's 335lbs strong but some of the quickness is overtaken by too much extra weight..

He's training in Cincy to hopefully change from his present bodytype imo.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Carman was basically handed a starting spot last year and muffed it. He couldn't beat out Adeniji for the RG job. He was a worse prospect at the end of the season than at the start. So no, we do have a need at LG and either Johnson or Green or Karras if we take a center will start ahead of Carman. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Carman was basically handed a starting spot last year and muffed it. He couldn't beat out Adeniji for the RG job. He was a worse prospect at the end of the season than at the start. So no, we do have a need at LG and either Johnson or Green or Karras if we take a center will start ahead of Carman. 

i guess well see

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals can get immediate starters at 31, depends on the position. Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green or Tyler Linderbaum would start ahead of Carman. A CB might beat out Apple in training camp. Let's not act like upgrades aren't possible. 

There isn't anyone we can draft at #31 who starts Week 1.  That won't happen.  Nobody is that good that we can get at #31, not even to beat out someone to move our FA signing from C to LG, or to beat out Apple Week 1.  It will take part of the season for them to beat out the Week 1 Starter for that Starting spot.

Eli Apple played well for Cincinnati last season.  Nobody we draft is beating him out Week 1, even if we moved up in the draft to get one, which we won't because we don't need to.

45 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

There isn't anyone we can draft at #31 who starts Week 1.  That won't happen.  Nobody is that good that we can get at #31, not even to beat out someone to move our FA signing from C to LG, or to beat out Apple Week 1.  It will take part of the season for them to beat out the Week 1 Starter for that Starting spot.

Eli Apple played well for Cincinnati last season.  Nobody we draft is beating him out Week 1, even if we moved up in the draft to get one, which we won't because we don't need to.

Good point and reason being the team is set on offense and defense aside from LG..

Carman Spain or Adenijji may fill the void.

If Bengals draft Linderbaum he starts from jump provided he shows well in camp.. Karras is LG..

I like the idea of getting a great Center and continuing to try to turn the line into a strength but is Linderbaum really a slam dunk great Center? 

My issue with Linderbaum is that he seems to be a great run-blocking Center but a lot of scouting reports point towards him being a below-average pass blocker. With the way the NFL game is trending (and considering who our QB and WRs are), the passing part of the equation seems so much more important than his run blocking. So is he really a great Center if he is a liability on passing plays?

40 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I like the idea of getting a great Center and continuing to try to turn the line into a strength but is Linderbaum really a slam dunk great Center? 

My issue with Linderbaum is that he seems to be a great run-blocking Center but a lot of scouting reports point towards him being a below-average pass blocker. With the way the NFL game is trending (and considering who our QB and WRs are), the passing part of the equation seems so much more important than his run blocking. So is he really a great Center if he is a liability on passing plays?

Very good points—and arguable of course. 

We should not overlook that this league is also—because of the emphasis on passing—basically a “holding allowed” league. Linderbaum is a collegiate champion wrestler—with superior skills at grappling, anchoring, and leverage. He will become an NFL pass blocker very quickly. 

Likely, however, all of this musing will be moot. He will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

Dilly! Dilly!

Archived