Draft Week Questions ???

It's 2022 DRAFT WEEK  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should the Bengals prioritize?

• Need
    • Best Player Available
  2. 2. Which of these is the Bengals biggest need?

• G
    • DT
    • CB
    • TE
    • S
  3. 3. If Linderbaum is there at pick 31 should the Bengals take him?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Which of these CBs would you prefer? (if you had to choose)

• CB Andrew Booth Jr.
    • CB Kaair Elam
    • CB Kyler Gordon
    • CB Roger McCreary
  5. 5. Should the Bengals trade up in Rd 1 ?

• Yes
    • No, stay put
    • No, trade down into Rd 2 for more picks
  6. 6. Would you be ok with the Bengals taking a WR, TE, or RB at #31 ?

• Yes, if BPA ... more weapons
    • No, we need to focus on the trenches or secondary
  7. 7. If Linderbaum is gone, which of these players would you want most at 31?

• S Lewis Cine
    • CB Andrew Booth Jr.
    • CB Kaair Elam
    • DT Logan Hall
    • DT Travis Jones
    • DE George Karlaftis
    • TE Trey McBride

2022 NFL mock draft: 7-round projections for the Bengals

Luke Easterling

2330491a02646a0c4dabe3d2b9d5f3d1

The 2022 NFL draft is just days away, and your favorite NFL team is about to add tons of young talent to help improve their chances of success in the upcoming season.

Here’s how all seven rounds of this year’s draft could shake out for the Cincinnati Bengals:

1st Round (No. 31 overall) | Iowa OL Tyler Linderbaum

ec52375c5c5dd82a5e2a493b493c22a4

2nd Round (No. 63 overall) | UTSA CB Tariq Woolen

7e34a0e9677c6657c3a9491b1f8e7009

3rd Round (No. 95 overall) | Cincinnati EDGE Myjai Sanders

7dd4275bbcf6bca24919dbc73a6ae2f9

4th Round (No. 136 overall) | Stanford DL Thomas Booker

07cc2a09c81ff32c14dfb4df7398465d

5th Round (No. 174 overall) | Northern Iowa WR Isaiah Weston

818a46b0b8f5bcf5acbb2d22410d469d

6th Round (No. 209 overall) | Utah LB Nephi Sewell

0f9bc865d3163e3c33b9b3495d269c15

7th Round (No. 226 overall) | Nevada TE Cole Turner

4281b63ded6ca80b7d33f6aa3e0c3332

7th Round (No. 252 overall) | Rutgers RB Isaih Pacheco

f9b12d9759a3cdd9822fd180f6a51936

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-7-144350109.html

My TOP 10 choices for pick #31 (in order of preference)

1. DT  Jordan Davis       6’6, 340, Georgia *

2. WR  Treylon Burks       6’3, 225, Arkansas *

3. C  Tyler Linderbaum       6’2, 301, Iowa

4. S  Lewis Cine     6’2, 200, Georgia

5. DE  George Karlaftis       6’4, 275, Purdue

6. CB  Andrew Booth       6’0, 200, Clemson

7. DT  Travis Jones       6’5, 333, UConn

8. DT  Logan Hall       6’6, 275, Houston

9. TE  Trey McBride       6’3, 249, Colo St.

10. T/G  Daniel Faalele       6’9, 387, Minnesota

* almost guaranteed to be gone

14 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

There isn't anyone we can draft at #31 who starts Week 1.  That won't happen.  Nobody is that good that we can get at #31, not even to beat out someone to move our FA signing from C to LG, or to beat out Apple Week 1.  It will take part of the season for them to beat out the Week 1 Starter for that Starting spot.

Eli Apple played well for Cincinnati last season.  Nobody we draft is beating him out Week 1, even if we moved up in the draft to get one, which we won't because we don't need to.

Not sure if you're serious or not but no. Carman was evaluated as 3rd round talent last year. Bengals took him in the 2nd and he lost the starting job they handed him while having one of the poorer O-lines in the league. Nobody disputes Johnson or Green are far superior guard prospects than Carman. The idea that Carman is the Bengals opening day starter at LG is simply a projection. If the Bengals take Johnson or Green, they will be the starter from the first day of training camp. 

Apple was a top 10 draft pick a few years back who has busted hard. He's been on several teams and outperformed expectations last year. That doesn't mean he can't be beat out by a better player or that a rookie can only be brought along slowly. That may happen but it also might be the case that the rookie shows superior talent and wins the job quickly, during preseason.

58 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

My TOP 10 choices for pick #31 (in order of preference)

1. DT  Jordan Davis       6’6, 340, Georgia *

2. WR  Treylon Burks       6’3, 225, Arkansas *

3. C  Tyler Linderbaum       6’2, 301, Iowa

4. S  Lewis Cine     6’2, 200, Georgia

5. DE  George Karlaftis       6’4, 275, Purdue

6. CB  Andrew Booth       6’0, 200, Clemson

7. DT  Travis Jones       6’5, 333, UConn

8. DT  Logan Hall       6’6, 275, Houston

9. TE  Trey McBride       6’3, 249, Colo St.

10. T/G  Daniel Faalele       6’9, 387, Minnesota

* almost guaranteed to be gone

Booth is the only 1 of those guys who I'd be happy with. Elam or Gordon would be fine too or Johnson or Green. I could live with Davis or Wyatt as well. 

7 hours ago, happyrid said:

I like the idea of getting a great Center and continuing to try to turn the line into a strength but is Linderbaum really a slam dunk great Center? 

My issue with Linderbaum is that he seems to be a great run-blocking Center but a lot of scouting reports point towards him being a below-average pass blocker. With the way the NFL game is trending (and considering who our QB and WRs are), the passing part of the equation seems so much more important than his run blocking. So is he really a great Center if he is a liability on passing plays?

This!  Linderbaum got abused in Iowa's bowl game by a UK freshman DT who simply overpowered him. 

38 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Not sure if you're serious or not but no. Carman was evaluated as 3rd round talent last year. Bengals took him in the 2nd and he lost the starting job they handed him while having one of the poorer O-lines in the league. Nobody disputes Johnson or Green are far superior guard prospects than Carman. The idea that Carman is the Bengals opening day starter at LG is simply a projection. If the Bengals take Johnson or Green, they will be the starter from the first day of training camp. 

Apple was a top 10 draft pick a few years back who has busted hard. He's been on several teams and outperformed expectations last year. That doesn't mean he can't be beat out by a better player or that a rookie can only be brought along slowly. That may happen but it also might be the case that the rookie shows superior talent and wins the job quickly, during preseason.

You of course realize you are projecting too right?

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

You of course realize you are projecting too right?

What am I projecting?  I'm willing to bet a small amount that both Johnson and Green will be drafted earlier this year than Carman was last year. 

It's not a projection to say that if the Bengals use pick 31 on Johnson or Green, that they aren't satisfied with Carman as the starting LG and are looking to replace him. 

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Very good points—and arguable of course. 

We should not overlook that this league is also—because of the emphasis on passing—basically a “holding allowed” league. Linderbaum is a collegiate champion wrestler—with superior skills at grappling, anchoring, and leverage. He will become an NFL pass blocker very quickly. 

Likely, however, all of this musing will be moot. He will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick. 

I thought he only wrestled in high school.

You know who else was a top high school wrestler? Billy Price.

I'm not anti-Linderbaum, just a bit skeptical that he wouldn't get pushed backwards into Burrow lap too often facing top NFL DTs. Like imagine if the Ravens draft Jordan Davis. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

What am I projecting?  I'm willing to bet a small amount that both Johnson and Green will be drafted earlier this year than Carman was last year. 

It's not a projection to say that if the Bengals use pick 31 on Johnson or Green, that they aren't satisfied with Carman as the starting LG and are looking to replace him. 

Not necessarily, they took Jessie Bates a few years ago when Safety was not an immediate need at the time.  All it means is they took BPA and will allow for camp battle, which I suspect even if they don't draft Johnson or Green they were planning on that anyway.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I am 100% serious.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No.  Not even Stingley would beat out Apple.  You truly don't realize how good of a year Apple had with the Bengals last season.  You weren't looking at the things an evaluator of CB's look at.  You don't have to believe me.  Believe Tony Romo.  He repeatedly pointed out how Apple had come along with the Bengals, how well he's played for them and how much better he got from his time as a Giant.  Now, if you don't believe Romo, then you have lost all credibility and the discussion is closed.  You don't know more than Romo when it comes to how good Apple was for the Bengals last season.

9 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

No.  Not even Stingley would beat out Apple.  You truly don't realize how good of a year Apple had with the Bengals last season.  You weren't looking at the things an evaluator of CB's look at.  You don't have to believe me.  Believe Tony Romo.  He repeatedly pointed out how Apple had come along with the Bengals, how well he's played for them and how much better he got from his time as a Giant.  Now, if you don't believe Romo, then you have lost all credibility and the discussion is closed.  You don't know more than Romo when it comes to how good Apple was for the Bengals last season.

Co-sign.

Sure we all have recency bias with Apple getting beat by Cupp to lose the Superbowl, but there are alot of great CBs in the league that have been beat by Cupp. 

Even if we draft a CB with 31 that does not preclude he starts. At this point we are drafting contributors and for future years when we cant keep players because of the cap.

10 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

So if Tony Romo says it, it must be true? Is that your standard? What about PFF? They graded Apple as the 71st best CB in the league last year. Awuzie was 14th and Hilton was 27th. Or the rest of the NFL's talent evaluators? Apple was a free agent this offseason and only got a 1 year 3.7 mil deal. If he were such a worthy, someone would have signed him to a multi-year deal for more than that. 

If Gardner or Stingley fell to the Bengals, they would be Apple's replacement as of opening day. If we get McDuffie or Gordon or Elam or (a healthy) Booth, they will probably replace Apple at some point during the season. 

Random thoughts 8 hours away from the start of the draft ...

- I think Cine will go much higher than people think, as he's just too fast (4.3) and hits way too hard (heat seeking missile) to last long. 

- Karlaftis reminds me so much of Trey Hendrickson, and plays just like him. I think he goes in the 20s. Maybe to New England. 

- I think the TE McBride is VERY LIKELY to the Bengals (like a 33% chance at this point) and many Bengal fans will freak out and call it a huge reach, but it isn't. I myself would be fine with the pick as I think it will only make Burrow even better. 

- The only downside to now being a SB contender every year, will be the draft waits. But it's worth it. And the sweet spot in this draft I really think is from picks 30-60 anyway.

29 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Random thoughts 8 hours away from the start of the draft ...

- I think Cine will go much higher than people think, as he's just too fast (4.3) and hits way too hard (heat seeking missile) to last long. 

- Karlaftis reminds me so much of Trey Hendrickson, and plays just like him. I think he goes in the 20s. Maybe to New England. 

- I think the TE McBride is VERY LIKELY to the Bengals (like a 33% chance at this point) and many Bengal fans will freak out and call it a huge reach, but it isn't. I myself would be fine with the pick as I think it will only make Burrow even better. 

- The only downside to now being a SB contender every year, will be the draft waits. But it's worth it. And the sweet spot in this draft I really think is from picks 30-60 anyway.

Yeah not many blue chippers but plenty of middle class guys in this draft. When we look back if we get one or two future starters and some depth guys it will be a successful draft.

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

So if Tony Romo says it, it must be true? Is that your standard? What about PFF? They graded Apple as the 71st best CB in the league last year. Awuzie was 14th and Hilton was 27th. Or the rest of the NFL's talent evaluators? Apple was a free agent this offseason and only got a 1 year 3.7 mil deal. If he were such a worthy, someone would have signed him to a multi-year deal for more than that. 

If Gardner or Stingley fell to the Bengals, they would be Apple's replacement as of opening day. If we get McDuffie or Gordon or Elam or (a healthy) Booth, they will probably replace Apple at some point during the season. 

Strong..

Tend to agree with you.

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Romo knows a lot more than PFF.  If you can't begin your discussion agreeing on that, then this discussion is closed because I want to discuss things with somebody who has perspective.

I'm not being an ass, but I just can't have these conversations with Bengals' fans who bad-mouth Bengals' players when they don't understand the value the players have to the team or understand how good they actually were during the season because of some misguided relationship between what they think the player's responsibilities were and what they actually were.  To say that PFF knows more than Romo is asinine and a major red flag of why there's an issue here.

16 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

I'm not being an ass, but I just can't have these conversations with Bengals' fans who bad-mouth Bengals' players when they don't understand the value the players have to the team or understand how good they actually were during the season because of some misguided relationship between what they think the player's responsibilities were and what they actually were.  To say that PFF knows more than Romo is asinine and a major red flag of why there's an issue here.

PFF is owned by Cris Collinsworth, who lives near Cincinnati. He certainly knows more about the Bengals than Tony Romo. 

The other 31 NFL GMs also seem to agree that Apple isn't that good. It only takes one but none offered Apple a multi-year deal for more than the Bengals 1 year deal. You might want to reconsider something Romo said in passing during a game. He doesn't watch every game in detail but PFF does and so do the team's pro personnel departments. 

Apple's 2nd half of the season PFF scores were much better than his first half of the season. In fact IIRC they were some of the better scores in the AFC in the 2nd half of the season. 

I think some folks are going to need to realize that when you are drafting 31 overall that you have very few holes and the players you draft are not likely going to be starting right away or maybe not even starting their rookie year. 

And that's ok...... in fact it's a good thing, it allows them to be ready going into their 2nd year to start..... 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Apple's 2nd half of the season PFF scores were much better than his first half of the season. In fact IIRC they were some of the better scores in the AFC in the 2nd half of the season. 

I think some folks are going to need to realize that when you are drafting 31 overall that you have very few holes and the players you draft are not likely going to be starting right away or maybe not even starting their rookie year. 

And that's ok...... in fact it's a good thing, it allows them to be ready going into their 2nd year to start..... 

Yes, his 71st overall ranking was based on the whole season.  Maybe he can keep it up or maybe he reverts to his career mean. 

Archived