If they miss on _____ position in the draft then what?

Not sure what to label this but in every mock I have been doing I haven't been able to fill all of our needs. I wanted to explore alternatives if we don't get a guy. 

Needs are Starter at CB, 3T, LG

Backups WR, S, DE

CB

Kevin King-Packers

Devantae Deayon-Rams

Jason Verrett-49ers

Jimmy Smith-Ravens

Joe Haden-Stealers

Xavier Rhodes-Colts

3T

Akiem Hicks

Larry Ogunjobi

Sheldon Richardson

Malik Jackson

LG/C

Quinton Spain

Erik Flowers

JC Tretter

DE

Ingram

Houston

Vernon

Hughes

Addison

Pierre-Paul

WR

Pettis

I don't know....draft someone here

S

Adams

McCourty

Tartt

Kazee

Gipson

So this is a conundrum. 

I think Linderbaum is a star, 10 year lock, multiple pro bowler. Of the guys there after him Zion is probably the biggest lock. 

When you look at our needs if you simply add Spain to Carman you have probably a decent line....and you can focus on Corner and 3T in the first 2 rounds. 

BPA is Linderbaum.....

When you calculate the depth, the available free agents and needs elsewhere on the roster......?

It's almost as if we should want Linderbaum and Zion gone by 31.

It should be considered heavily that any team that has ever tried to secure their Offensive Line with 3 Free Agent signings has always had one of those three get injured for the entire season, while half the time one of the other two has a down season.  

So, it really is a pretty good decision if they go with Linderbaum if he's there, or even trade up to get him.

Why take a chance on Burrow.  We got lucky last season.  What was expected happened the year before.  We're one for two, and lucky he's available going into this season.

4 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

It should be considered heavily that any team that has ever tried to secure their Offensive Line with 3 Free Agent signings has always had one of those three get injured for the entire season, while half the time one of the other two has a down season.  

So, it really is a pretty good decision if they go with Linderbaum if he's there, or even trade up to get him.

Why take a chance on Burrow.  We got lucky last season.  What was expected happened the year before.  We're one for two, and lucky he's available going into this season.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

10 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

So this is a conundrum. 

I think Linderbaum is a star, 10 year lock, multiple pro bowler. Of the guys there after him Zion is probably the biggest lock. 

When you look at our needs if you simply add Spain to Carman you have probably a decent line....and you can focus on Corner and 3T in the first 2 rounds. 

BPA is Linderbaum.....

When you calculate the depth, the available free agents and needs elsewhere on the roster......?

Linderbaum is the prototypical boom or bust ..

He has every possible intangibles to be a top center..

He's also a lil feller that has very short arms and wingspan and he's not going to power over anybody.

Its all about technique which the team is aspiring to obtain for the oline..

His forte will be how quick after the snap is he using his leverage..

The quicksnap and burst lead to some ugly snaps in the shotgun.

The kid is a football player but theres questions..

Karras is a good player, not a great player. He probably will be a decent center, but not a cornerstone center. Same description at LG. 

Linderbaum may be that cornerstone. He may be just good. But he is certainly a more sure bet to become the former than Karras is ever going to be. 

Run to the podium, if Linderbaum is still there. 

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Linderbaum is the prototypical boom or bust ..

He has every possible intangibles to be a top center..

He's also a lil feller that has very short arms and wingspan and he's not going to power over anybody.

Its all about technique which the team is aspiring to obtain for the oline..

His forte will be how quick after the snap is he using his leverage..

The quicksnap and burst lead to some ugly snaps in the shotgun.

The kid is a football player but theres questions..

Cam Jurgens may be a better option for us.  He's still an elite athlete and doesn't have the size concerns.  It sounds like he can be a bit too aggressive, but I'm hopeful that if he lands with us Pollack can coach him up.

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

So this is a conundrum. 

BPA is Linderbaum.....

It is less of a conundrum if you think of the prospects in terms of "no one is a 'lock' to be be great or a pro Bowler". 

I don't want Linderbaum in the 1st. He has a pretty high bust potential and he's better at run blocking than pass blocking. Not what we need. 

IMO we can pass entirely on O-line in the draft, sign Spain as insurance and be fine for 2022.

If we're going to draft a center or guard, Johnson or Green in round 1 would be ok as they're upgrades from Carman. If we simply want better center depth than Hill, then Fortner or Parham or Tom in the mid rounds would be the pick.

If we miss out on Linderbaum or Elam, I'll be happy with Hall at DT or Daxton Hill at Safety. 

Worst case scenario is we miss out on anyone we like in 1 and we trade down to 2 and take McBride 

I wont hate that as I think we need a TE as well but it's not my favorite scenario 

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Cam Jurgens may be a better option for us.  He's still an elite athlete and doesn't have the size concerns.  It sounds like he can be a bit too aggressive, but I'm hopeful that if he lands with us Pollack can coach him up.

I like him, too.  Esp if they trade down.  Remembering Creed Humphrey from last year who went in mid-late second round and we see how that worked out.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:24 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Not sure what to label this but in every mock I have been doing I haven't been able to fill all of our needs. I wanted to explore alternatives if we don't get a guy. 

Needs are Starter at CB, 3T, LG

Backups WR, S, DE

CB

Kevin King-Packers

Devantae Deayon-Rams

Jason Verrett-49ers

Jimmy Smith-Ravens

Joe Haden-Stealers

Xavier Rhodes-Colts

3T

Akiem Hicks

Larry Ogunjobi

Sheldon Richardson

Malik Jackson

LG/C

Quinton Spain

Erik Flowers

JC Tretter

DE

Ingram

Houston

Vernon

Hughes

Addison

Pierre-Paul

WR

Pettis

I don't know....draft someone here

S

Adams

McCourty

Tartt

Kazee

Gipson

I think you always Think the Bengals have more needs than they do.  Not sure if you're aware, But they had one of the Better teams in the league last year, and the area that was a problem, the Oline, they kinda got aggressive in FA about.   But, the list is good.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:46 AM, happyrid said:

They need a rotational guy at DT. I don't see how you can list that as a spot where they need a starter. They didn't pay BJ Hill $10M per year to be a backup. 

Hill and Ogunjobi both sort of started. At times we ran a 5-2 with 3 DTs. We need to replace Hills 500 snaps as he takes on Ogunjobis 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Hill and Ogunjobi both sort of started. At times we ran a 5-2 with 3 DTs. We need to replace Hills 500 snaps as he takes on Ogunjobis 

Right..

Hill will get mire snaps because hes not only a good rusher but defends the run as well..

Ogunjobi was a good rusher but poor tackler..

Perrion Winfrey is an Ogunjobi type that I could live with ..

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, but we can either re-sign Ogunjobi when he's healthy or use a mid to late pick on a backup DT. Curtis Brooks or Haskell Garrett should be available in round 5 or 6.

I think that's a lot to expect for 500 snaps. Hill is more of a run stopper as Clapton said. 

Archived