Allegations against Carmen being brought up on draft day.

According to the article, he said it was consensual…so admits that he had sex with her.  Unfortunately, the age of consent in SC is 16 and she was only 15.  So he basically said that he is guilty of statutory rape.  

How were no charges filed?  What am I missing?

14 minutes ago, Cricket said:

According to the article, he said it was consensual…so admits that he had sex with her.  Unfortunately, the age of consent in SC is 16 and she was only 15.  So he basically said that he is guilty of statutory rape.  

Should be ok there, SC has a Romeo and Juliet law. 

17 minutes ago, Cricket said:

There is probably a lot missing still in terms of public disclosure

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

"

South Carolina’s statutory rape law is called “criminal sexual conduct with a minor,” which is considered a penetration offense.

According to the Children’s Law Center, “A person commits CSC with a minor when the person commits a sexual battery upon a child. Sexual battery is defined as sexual intercourse, anal intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, or any intrusion of any part of a person’s body or of any object into the genital or anal openings of another person’s body (except for medically recognized treatment or diagnosis).”

• First-degree CSC with a minor refers to a child under the age of eleven.
  • Second-degree CSC with a minor refers to a child between the ages of 11 and 14, or between the ages of 14 and 15.

If an individual age 18 or younger engages in illicit, but consensual sexual conduct with a child age 14 or older, he or she does not commit CSC in the second degree.

2 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

Should be ok there, SC has a Romeo and Juliet law. 

yes.

so like highlighted above, the age gap is the safety net.. a 4 years window 

this is essentially two high school kids fucking, a senior and a freshman age wise is a solid example.

30 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Disappointing. If true, could mean his time here is done.

The teams needs to leave the rape to their division rivals. 

Sam Wyche "You don't live in Cleveland" speech on Make a GIF

You Don't Live in Cleveland, You Live in Cincinnati - ESPN Video

so you just skipped over all of the details explained in here that shows he did nothing illegal what so ever.... JV Move  *shakes head*

Frustrated New York Knicks GIF by NBA

5 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

he did nothing illegal what so ever

To be clear, it is not the "statutory" age-related issue I was referencing. 15 and 18 year-olds date all the time and that usually isn't a criminal matter. 

My concern are the details of his sexual encounter, which I did read, and look like they could classified as rape if they took place as described (in that article).

Now maybe they didn't and maybe there is no evidence and it's just a she said - he said situation and nothing comes of it. But it's a bad look either way and disappointing for a player that I think fans were rooting for as a hometown kid. 

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

To be clear, it is not the "statutory" age-related issue I was referencing. 15 and 18 year-olds date all the time and that usually isn't a criminal matter. 

My concern are the details of his sexual encounter, which I did read, and look like they could classified as rape if they took place as described (in that article).

Now maybe they didn't and maybe there is no evidence and it's just a she said - he said situation and nothing comes of it. But it's a bad look either way and disappointing for a player that I think fans were rooting for as a hometown kid. 

fair enough, i took it as a money grab accusation, given the timing of it. 3+ years later. coincidentally as he is going to be a millionaire.

so i assumed the details were fabricated from the jump.

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Disappointing. If true, could mean his time here is done.

This team needs to leave the rape to their division rivals. 

You Don't Live in Cleveland, You Live in Cincinnati - ESPN Video

The Bengals aren't cutting him.That's ridiculous.

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

fair enough, i took it as a money grab accusation, given the timing of it. 3+ years later. coincidentally as he is going to be a millionaire.

so i assumed the details were fabricated from the jump.

I work in the insurance civil litigation world, so  I also thought from the first headline: “here we go!”. 

Here’s a thought though: where is the money to poach, when the who is legally liable musical chairs end? 

Insurance? Logical, but who insured him? At the time of the “act”, he wasn’t an employee of the Bengals or the NFL. Clemson, then? Possible, however whatever general liability insurance NCAA participants carry is very limited as to off-field “activities” of players/coaches—and absolutely would exclude intentional sexual assaults regardless. Same would be, in the situation if Carmen carried his own personal liability policy…or his family did. 

His personal wealth would be the only “deep pocket” to pick. Significant, but not boundless. And, after 2-3 years of litigation and legal costs, quite a bit less. 

The lad is going to be in a world of financial hurt, it appears. 

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I think we should trade him to Pittsburgh for at least their first round draft pick next year.  I bet they'd go for it.  

Give nothing to the enemy, even our poop.  Never know if the player has a breakout year the moment they leave.

It’s a bad look all around. 

I don’t know if what she said is true or not, but when you are in college you should know better than to have sex with high school girls.  I knew that in the 80s.  To me that makes Carman a moron at best. In line with his struggles to understand his duties as an offensive lineman.  

It’s a bad look for the Bengals because it appears they didn’t do their homework. The information was out there.  

Archived