*** RD 1 BENGALS DRAFT - DAXTON HILL (S) ***

I cant' say he was on my radar but I didn't dive as deep into this draft as in the past.

As Kingspoint said, I wasn't worried about this draft either - we didn't have a glaring need and we've been on a roll the last few years.

There were a number of good options and I figured we'd nail one of them

(except the TE Likely -not in the first round please).

Having said all that, this kid looks like he could develop into a stud.

His seemingly only weakness - recognition - improved a lot last year and his versatility is pretty rare. His physical traits appear to be borderline ellite - and he's only 21?!

I love Jessie Bates but Dax might make that situation a lot easier to deal with.

Great pick!

I figure Hill will be useful in combatting the passing teams like the chiefs. We had some really good games against opponents in the passing game BUT struggled at times in stopping it. I kind of disliked the pic last night on perceived need but now that I know more about him its a good pick. He is from Bitchigan though. Leon Hall was a good player for us for many years so I hope he is the next better version       

I'm slowly coming around to this pick.  For this year, it'll allow us to play some three safety looks and have additional speed on the field to handle all of the firepower in the AFC.  I don't think this ends the JB3 era after this year either.  You can still re-sign him and have both Hill and Bates as your primary safeties.   If we don't bring Bell back we'd still need a box safety b/c both Bates and Hill can struggle in the tackling department.  

Overall, this gives Lou some flexibility in his play calling and a little depth for this year.   It also starts to prepare us for next year if Bates and/or Bell are gone so we're not starting from ground zero.

Grade
A

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals

Draft pick

Analysis: Hill can play anywhere in the secondary. If Jessie Bates, who received the franchise tag this offseason, eventually moves on as a free agent, Hill could end up filling the void at safety full time. With the Ravens taking Tyler Linderbaum, who would have been a nice fit in Cincinnati, off the board six picks earlier, Hill was a sensible pick.

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Some thinking out loud here.

He's not going to be the primary Slot Corner: Hilton is signed to do that for the next 3 years at a very reasonable amount
We don't want him to be the primary Deep safety: We want Bates in that role his leadership is important
He hasn't played outside corner much at all
He has played in the box but is a bit undersized for that Vonn Bell is 5-11 205 he is 6-0 191
We signed Tre Flowers who was adept at guarding TEs

If you were starting a team with no players at all he would make a ton of sense. A very high level athlete and versatile playmaker with zero red flags. Plus you can get his brother to come cheap after he is cut from the Ravens this year.

I like the pick. I like the player. I like it all if he can play box effectively and stay healthy. He won't struggle to get snaps as the primary backup for 3 starters. He has star written all over him and centerpiece of the defense. He also allows you to pay Bates now and then replace Bates in 4 years as he shifts from box to deep. Which is I think the most likely situation. He's the dime S and corner, primary backup for slot corner, Bell and Bates. Replaces Bell in 2023, replaces Bates in 2027.

2022 Backup

2023 Box

2024 Box

2025 Box

2026 Deep

New Contract

2027 Deep

2028 Deep

2029 Deep

2030 Deep 30 years old

Cincinnati Bengals: Daxton Hill, DB, Michigan. Grade: A

USATSI_15223214.jpg

(Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports)

Here. I’ll just place what I wrote in my final mock draft, when I had the Bengals selecting Hill right here with the 31st pick:

The Bengals did a lot in free agency to upgrade their offensive line (a veritable and obvious necessity), and they may do more in this particular mock. But they also need help in the secondary — Chidobe Awuzie and Jessie Bates III are great defenders, and the addition of Hill, who can play everywhere from the slot to the deep third to outside cornerback, would give defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo all kinds of options.

Yeah, it’s an ideal fit.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This was posted yesterday before the draft and likely recorded even earlier

He talks about Hill saying "When I watch Hill the first thing I wrote down is 'This is Jessie Bates'"

This clarifies why Dax Hill over Lewis Cine (who was selected with the next pick).  Versatility.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

The only negative I can come up with is that Mel Kiper really, really liked him.  :)

(Yeah, I'm not a Kiper fan)

Kiper said he was the steal of the first round,after bengals took him.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Dehner and Morrison had 2 frustrating takes for  me. 

1. He shouldn't play the Box much
2. This signals this is Bates last year here

I like Bates, but safety is pretty much like OG was on offense...the Bengals aren't gonna pay top dollar.  He has coverage skills and should be one of the top five DBs.  His versatility should have him seeing quite a few snaps (especially as the season wears on).  Wouldn't shock me to see them  still go CB if the right guy is there, but I'm expecting a front seven or maybe even a TE pick (if McBride or Dulcich is still there) next.

will likely see a C or OT taken, but could see them re-sign Spain as depth/camp comp) after the draft if they can get a bargain price.

Archived