*** RD 1 BENGALS DRAFT - DAXTON HILL (S) ***

dunno. doesn't matter. If his agent thinks threatening to sit out will move the needle, well, his agent is wrong. His only choice will be to eventually sign the tender and play this year. I guess he could fully sit out, but that would be surprising to me. I mean, 13 million is...well...13  million.

The good news is I won't have to stress about it. They have a replacement plan ready to go. 

The Bengals wont budge, they let Carson Palmer retire until the Raiders offered something silly. Bates wont command something silly from another team. He may net them more than a 1st rounder, but he won't push the Bengals to the table on a threat like this. 

All of the media bullshit is speculation. Soon enough, because he hasn’t been a good lad and happily showed up for voluntary workouts with no contract, he’ll become the Devil incarnate to everyone. 

Business, it’s business. And it’s a dance. Each side knows it, and it will resolve. 

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The Bengals wont budge, they let Carson Palmer retire until the Raiders offered something silly. Bates wont command something silly from another team. He may net them more than a 1st rounder, but he won't push the Bengals to the table on a threat like this. 

The Bengals never budged in the past.  The Bengals also said for years there was no need for an indoor practice facility. 

We will see how this plays out. 

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

The amount of money these guys make on the tag, I can’t really get on board with them acting like babies and trying to force negotiations. 

Suck it up buttercup. C ya if not. 

Eh...it's his career.  Players don't have many avenues to pressure owners to deal.  I harbor no ill will toward Bates for playing hardball, but I also realize the Brown family has paid their own players generously in the past.  This has to be about guaranteed money.  Bates' agent got the Deshaun Watson deal, so I suppose we're gonna see a dance.

I don’t begrudge bates for trying. I do think it’s misplaced. I am glad bengals had a good plan in place. I would guess he will show up before third preseason game. Maybe see him on field by regular season week 3.

don’t care. This team is bigger than all the players except one. And bates ain’t that one. 

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The Bengals never budged in the past.  The Bengals also said for years there was no need for an indoor practice facility. 

We will see how this plays out. 

Perhaps but publicly the team said they will likely have to change the way they do contracts for Joe Burrow. They didn't say that about Jessie Bates.

Bates isn't going to sit out the season. If no deal is reached on a long term contract by the July 15 deadline, he'll skip camp and sign the tender before the regular season starts. The 12.9 mil on the franchise tag is more than he's made in his 4 year career. 

Since the team has already used their first round pick on his replacement, I doubt the team gives Bates a long term deal. So I'd guess we'll see him in September. Let's hope he shows up in shape. 

50 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What's better for the team:  playing a rookie, or playing a guy that's only there because he doesn't really have a choice?

Bates will still play at a high level if he wants a contract elsewhere after the year. Play Bates

Archived