*** RD 3 BENGALS DRAFT - ZACHARY CARTER (DT) ***

Overview

Carter is viewed as position versatile, with the ability to play defensive end in an odd or even front. His skilled hands and quick feet make him a perfect candidate to move inside in nickel packages as a rusher. Some evaluators like his girth and envision him adding weight to become a full-time three-technique in a one-gapping front. Carter possesses the anchor for the point of attack, but needs to improve his stack-and-shed technique to make more plays in the run game. He's a skilled, thoughtful rusher, but a fluctuating motor creates inconsistencies on tape. The sum doesn't always equal the parts, but he has the size and skill to become a quality starter with splashy, interior rush potential.

Strengths
  • Consistent improvement and production for three years.
  • Broad chest and back with burly hips and thighs.
  • Physical traits and toughness to play inside or outside.
  • Well-crafted rush plan with workable counters ready to go.
  • Uses dip-and-rip, bull-and-pull and stab-and-run moves from the edge.
  • Rush hands are strong, violent and efficient.
  • Interior rush keyed by lateral agility, quick hands and hip flip.
  • Leveraged, upward strikes get under blocker's pads.
  • Strains to neutralize drive blocks and secure positioning.
  • Upper-body strength and hip torque to displace a base block.
  • Pushes forward with secondary effort when his tank is gassed up.
Sources Tell Us

"He's going to be at different positions depending on the team and the scheme but in a perfect world, I see him as a wide-five (technique)." -- Personnel executive for NFC team

11 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:
Overview

Carter is viewed as position versatile, with the ability to play defensive end in an odd or even front. His skilled hands and quick feet make him a perfect candidate to move inside in nickel packages as a rusher. Some evaluators like his girth and envision him adding weight to become a full-time three-technique in a one-gapping front. Carter possesses the anchor for the point of attack, but needs to improve his stack-and-shed technique to make more plays in the run game. He's a skilled, thoughtful rusher, but a fluctuating motor creates inconsistencies on tape. The sum doesn't always equal the parts, but he has the size and skill to become a quality starter with splashy, interior rush potential.

Strengths
  • Consistent improvement and production for three years.
  • Broad chest and back with burly hips and thighs.
  • Physical traits and toughness to play inside or outside.
  • Well-crafted rush plan with workable counters ready to go.
  • Uses dip-and-rip, bull-and-pull and stab-and-run moves from the edge.
  • Rush hands are strong, violent and efficient.
  • Interior rush keyed by lateral agility, quick hands and hip flip.
  • Leveraged, upward strikes get under blocker's pads.
  • Strains to neutralize drive blocks and secure positioning.
  • Upper-body strength and hip torque to displace a base block.
  • Pushes forward with secondary effort when his tank is gassed up.
Sources Tell Us

"He's going to be at different positions depending on the team and the scheme but in a perfect world, I see him as a wide-five (technique)." -- Personnel executive for NFC team

That part is where I think in a year he could be full time rotating with Hill. 

I think I get Ogunjobi on the phone and let this kid have a red shirt year to get his body NFL DT ready.

Carter was not really on my radar as I prefer DTs with more weight. But I do remember seeing him on a recent interview last week which intrigued me as he was impressive in his answers, and I thought of researching him to add him to my list on that alone (but didn't).

He seems versatile - the key word for this draft. It's obvious Lou wants to get faster, quicker, and more athletic on defense. Like he's gearing up for passing teams in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Still seems like a reach. He's mainly an edge player. Winfrey would have been a better pick if we had to go DL. I'd have taken Ruckert there and waited for Brooks in round 5 or 6. 

the bolded is wrong. He's going to be a 3T mainly here, with ability to go to edge. He's NOT an edge for us. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Still seems like a reach. He's mainly an edge player. Winfrey would have been a better pick if we had to go DL. I'd have taken Ruckert there and waited for Brooks in round 5 or 6. 

No he's best at 3tech..

Winfrey was a bad tackler.

Carter has the body type to add 

another 10-15lbs if needed..

1 hour ago, membengal said:

the bolded is wrong. He's going to be a 3T mainly here, with ability to go to edge. He's NOT an edge for us. 

He's played mainly on the edge thus far in his career. The Bengals seem to see him as a 3T but he's not very big or strong. 282 lbs and 19 lifts on the bench don't bode well for him vs 320 lb NFL guards. If opponents are considerate enough to let us rotate among Hill, Shelvin, and Carter, then great. But if he has to play run defense, he'd be an obvious weakness.

Archived