Jump to content

*** RD 3 BENGALS DRAFT - ZACHARY CARTER (DT) ***


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

He's played mainly on the edge thus far in his career. The Bengals seem to see him as a 3T but he's not very big or strong. 282 lbs and 19 lifts on the bench don't bode well for him vs 320 lb NFL guards. If opponents are considerate enough to let us rotate among Hill, Shelvin, and Carter, then great. But if he has to play run defense, he'd be an obvious weakness.

 

If he is going to be an impact player in the NFL he will need to add size and strength.  He'll likely need a year to get to where he needs to be, if he can do it.  He should see time as a relief pass rusher this coming season.  Good add. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

He's played mainly on the edge thus far in his career. The Bengals seem to see him as a 3T but he's not very big or strong. 282 lbs and 19 lifts on the bench don't bode well for him vs 320 lb NFL guards. If opponents are considerate enough to let us rotate among Hill, Shelvin, and Carter, then great. But if he has to play run defense, he'd be an obvious weakness.

 

 

He has the body to add weight though. It's why I said we should red shirt him and call Ogunjobi back for a year. Let the kid spend time learning the playbook and transforming his body to be that guy next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

He has the body to add weight though. It's why I said we should red shirt him and call Ogunjobi back for a year. Let the kid spend time learning the playbook and transforming his body to be that guy next year.

There are scores of this type player every year of the on-paper variety. I would have no idea as to what Lou/Hobby plans are for him. 
 

When I saw the first description of “tweener Edge/3tech”, “not as explosive off the corners “, and “can slide inside for certain pass rush situations”…I said “great that’s versatility, but what are the long term plans, other than a Swiss Army knife?” Maybe, if that can be done successfully, he will be a good piece. 
 

However, even if Larry would come back, he would be looking to be a main piece—and not a placeholder for this year’s maybe/possibly next year’s replacement 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

He has the body to add weight though. It's why I said we should red shirt him and call Ogunjobi back for a year. Let the kid spend time learning the playbook and transforming his body to be that guy next year.

 

Problem with that is we only have 53 spots on the Active roster. Since they invested a 3rd round pick in him, they'll be hesitant to try to pass him through waivers to the practice squad. We'll probably carry 9 D-linemen, 6 LBs, and 10 DBs. If we carry 5 DTs, with him as a backup along with Tupou and Shelvin, that means we're light at DE. Carter can play DE but he's not very toolsy there. Wyatt or Gunter or Kareem might be better. 

 

Basically if we're trying to find an inside/outside versatile guy, he should be clearly better than Sample and Carter doesn't show any signs of that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

 

Problem with that is we only have 53 spots on the Active roster. Since they invested a 3rd round pick in him, they'll be hesitant to try to pass him through waivers to the practice squad. We'll probably carry 9 D-linemen, 6 LBs, and 10 DBs. If we carry 5 DTs, with him as a backup along with Tupou and Shelvin, that means we're light at DE. Carter can play DE but he's not very toolsy there. Wyatt or Gunter or Kareem might be better. 

 

Basically if we're trying to find an inside/outside versatile guy, he should be clearly better than Sample and Carter doesn't show any signs of that. 

 

 

Every week we have to place a few guys on the not playing list. We did this alot with Shelvin last year, I'm suggesting we do the same with this guy this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By most accounts I've seen, this was a major reach...he wasn't even on my radar honestly.  I'm trying to be optimistic about this one and I'm assuming the coaches see something in him that most others don't.  He can probably put on a little weight to be a full-time 3-tech, so there's that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's evidently not going to be of much effect on the edge (yet he's still labeled an EDGE), so inside only it seems. He apparently has good strength on the bull rush--with some moves--so maybe OK there. 

 

Probably a project, with higher hopes in Season 2.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a feeling that Carter could be a key to the draft.  If he can serve as a solid back up to Hill at the 3Tech and provide inside push, it would be huge for the defense.  Do have concerns about his size/strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think he will be key to the draft in a negative way. I don't expect much from Carter himself and we'll be looking at other players we passed on and wishing we had them instead. Same with Volson. 

 

You don't like the draft we get it. 

 

You also can take almost every draft and every draft pick, with few exceptions, look later in the draft and find a better player.  You are basically setting things up so you can't be wrong.  If these three guys aren't Pro-Bowlers you will be able so say you were right. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe folks should listen to HTPG

 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hear-that-podcast-growlin-a-show-about-the/id1477129521

 

100% they are playing Carter primarily inside. Listen to scouting director Mike Potts in this interview. They said he garnered most of his sacks and pressures inside and he was a target of theirs.


While we are here - this team does pretty ok targeting mid-round D-linemen...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

 

You don't like the draft we get it. 

 

You also can take almost every draft and every draft pick, with few exceptions, look later in the draft and find a better player.  You are basically setting things up so you can't be wrong.  If these three guys aren't Pro-Bowlers you will be able so say you were right. 

 

You're right that I don't care much for this draft. But I'm fine with taking Tycen Anderson and Jeff Gunter where we got them. But we shouldn't have traded up for anyone and the 3rd and 4th round picks were pretty bad. That's the whole point, that it doesn't require some special level of foresight to find good players there, plenty were available but we took a couple of guys with significant limitations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Maybe folks should listen to HTPG

 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hear-that-podcast-growlin-a-show-about-the/id1477129521

 

100% they are playing Carter primarily inside. Listen to scouting director Mike Potts in this interview. They said he garnered most of his sacks and pressures inside and he was a target of theirs.


While we are here - this team does pretty ok targeting mid-round D-linemen...

 

I'm not questioning whether the Bengals liked Carter more than other teams or not. They clearly did. What's in question is whether they were right to do so and also to take him in the top 100. 

 

The argument that the Bengals draft D-lineman well in the midrounds seems to rest entirely on Geno Atkins. He certainly outperformed his draft position. Other than him, are you going back to Domata Peko? While ignoring the Shelvins, Wrens, etc?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you have been SO negative about everything I am hesitant to engage. It's border-line trolling. Of a team coming off a Super Bowl. But, ok. 

 

3rd and 4th round guys are hit and miss ---for EVERYONE. There was NO pick at end of 3rd round that is a sure thing.  So, guys in the mid rounds - HITS - are guys that stick around and play in this league a number of years. Sam Hubbard? He's pretty fucking much a "hit", right? That's pretty recent. Sample played a ton last year. Helped. Looks like a hit. Joseph Ossai sure looks like a keeper. Shelvin is still here with a potential role. Etc. 

 

So, yeah, without going back to Atkins, this teams mid-round drafting at d-line looks pretty swell.

 

But, you do you. You've been shitting on the team and the off-season for months now. Carter might indeed suck. OR, this staff, which has been pretty damn good, and Marion Hobby at d-line coach in particular, who has been really damn good for many years for several teams, might have unearthed something in Carter. I am curious to see, myself. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

 

You're right that I don't care much for this draft. But I'm fine with taking Tycen Anderson and Jeff Gunter where we got them. But we shouldn't have traded up for anyone and the 3rd and 4th round picks were pretty bad. That's the whole point, that it doesn't require some special level of foresight to find good players there, plenty were available but we took a couple of guys with significant limitations. 

Did Duke Tobin ask you if you did all the work? Cause he says they do. Just got that off the Lapham broadcast lol. Between your opinion and the Bengals, I am going to stick with the Bengals judgement on who they pick where, cause well, they did all the work. They have done a pretty good job with talent in free agency and most of the drafts picks. It is the talking heads/medias job to make stories out of everything and their opinion is just that, an opinion. So if you are just going off of what opinions you see on the internet everyone will have an opinion, just depends which one you want to hear.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

You're right that I don't care much for this draft. But I'm fine with taking Tycen Anderson and Jeff Gunter where we got them. But we shouldn't have traded up for anyone and the 3rd and 4th round picks were pretty bad. That's the whole point, that it doesn't require some special level of foresight to find good players there, plenty were available but we took a couple of guys with significant limitations. 

 

 

If we didn't trade up to get CBT there is no guarantee he would have been there as the Chiefs took Safety Bryan Cook from the Bearcats, it's entirely possible they would have taken CBT there to play S for them instead.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...