https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-draft-grades-for-afc-teams-patriots-get-strange-with-a-c-while-ravens-and-jets-shine-with-a-191209069.html

Cincinnati Bengals

Picks: 1-31: Michigan S Dax Hill; 2-60: Nebraska CB Cam Taylor-Britt; 3-95: Florida DE Zachary Carter; 4-136: North Dakota State OG Cordell Volson; 5-166: Toledo S Tycen Anderson; 7-252: Coastal Carolina EDGE Jeffrey Gunter

Favorite pick: Hill

Sign me up. After hammering the offensive line in free agency, it was clear that the Bengals were eyeing the secondary as the next target zone. Was there luck in Hill (a top-20 prospect on our board) slipping to them? Sure. But whatever works. The Bengals kept their trademark patience and nailed the pick. Hill can play multiple roles in Lou Anarumo’s defense and give Cincinnati another playmaker to pair with Jesse Bates. Along with the Taylor-Britt pick, that secondary got better by a clear measure.

Least-favorite pick: Volson

Volson doesn’t offer too much that’s exciting other than his length. Landing him on Day 3 makes this criticism more muted, but we viewed him as a late-pick value. Still, the o-line can always use more talent. We shall see if Volson can handle edge speed at tackle or if he might be tried inside, where he’d be among the taller guards in the league.

Overall: The Bengals did really well, and we even saw a rare (albeit short) trade up to land Taylor-Britt, another favorite of ours. With him, Hill and Anderson, the secondary and special teams are in far better shape, even if there’s some overlap in their skills. It follows a Bengals pattern: killing mosquitoes with sledgehammers. (Translation: Throw as many possible solutions at a problem area and pick the best options.) The Bengals addressed needs and didn’t reach badly on any of their picks; even their seventh-rounder, Gunter, was a nice pluck. The smallest scouting staff in the NFL did some work with this class.

Grade: B

Grade in 2021: B-
Grade in 2020: B+
Grade in 2019: B+

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: A

Day 2 grade: B

Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: Cincinnati reacted to the team's disappointing pass defense in the Super Bowl loss by selecting two versatile athletes in Hill and Taylor-Britt to bolster the secondary. Carter has potential as an inside playmaker, but time will tell if he was the best option at that position of need. 

Volson is a tough player who shifted between guard and tackle for the Bison. Anderson's speed/tenacious nature and Gunter's power on the edge made them very good Day 3 selections.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/5/1/23052223/draft-grades-all-teams-2022
Grade: C-

Cincinnati Bengals

Round 1, Pick 31: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan
Round 2, Pick 60: Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska
Round 3, Pick 95: Zach Carter, DL, Florida
Round 4, Pick 136: Cordell Volson, OL, North Dakota State
Round 5, Pick 166: Tycen Anderson, S, Toledo
Round 7, Pick 252: Jeffrey Gunter, LB, Coastal Carolina

Versatility was the motif for the Bengals’ draft, with the team using its top two picks on line-them-up-anywhere defensive backs in Michigan’s Daxton Hill and Nebraska’s Cam Taylor-Britt. They weren’t done there, though: Third-round Florida defensive lineman Zach Carter is also capable of lining up all across the line, and fifth-round safety Tycen Anderson out of Toledo brings experience at both safety and nickel cornerback. Cincy’s weekend as a whole wasn’t super flashy, but the players they added give defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo a boost in schematic flexibility in 2022 and beyond.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-grades#CIN

CINCINNATI BENGALS

R1 (31) — S Daxton Hill, Michigan
R2 (60) — CB Cam Taylor-Britt, Nebraska

R3 (95) — DL Zachary Carter, Florida
R4 (136) — T Cordell Volson, North Dakota State
R5 (166) — S Tycen Anderson, Toledo
R7 (252) — EDGE Jeffrey Gunter, Coastal Carolina

Day 1: Hill brings athleticism, solid collegiate production and versatility to the table. While he didn’t wear many hats in Michigan’s defense and primarily covered the slot, he has the skill set to be versatile. And given Cincinnati’s current roster construct, he’s going to be playing a different role than he did as a Wolverine. Hill produced a top-10 coverage slot coverage grade among Power Five defensive backs from 2020 to 2021.

Day 2: Nebraska’s Cam Taylor-Britt has improved his PFF grade every year of his collegiate career and allowed a reception on just 53% of his targets in 2021. He’s got great closing speed and physicality with the versatility to play any position in the Bengals’ secondary.

Florida’s Zachary Carter didn’t even crack PFF’s top-200 on the final draft board. He earned 80.0-plus PFF grades in only two games in his Florida career and finished the 2021 season with just a 78.1 PFF grade. He also didn’t grade particularly well at the 2022 Reese’s Senior Bowl.

Day 3: Volson is the 209th-ranked player on PFF’s big board. He’s not exactly a project with three straight seasons with a 79-plus PFF grade at North Dakota State, but Volson is an older prospect who has some physicality concerns. That’s not going to get any better in the NFL.

Draft Grade: B+

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-team-by-team-grades-lions-ravens-chiefs-among-seven-in-a-range-jaguars-at-bottom-of-class/

Cincinnati Bengals

ROUND PICK PLAYER GRADE

Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

B-

Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska

B+

Zachary Carter, DL, Florida

C+

Cordell Volson, OT, North Dakota Statae

B-

Tycen Anderson, S, Toledo

B

Jeffrey Gunter, EDGE, Coastal Carolina

B+

I like the prospects the Bengals picked, especially Cam Taylor-Britt in Round 2. I didn't feel the secondary was such an overt need though. Jeffrey Gunter can outplay his draft position, but will be a bit buried on the edge-rusher depth chart and Zachary Carter felt early in Round 3. Grade: B- 

Cam Taylor-Britt ia going to be one of the best CBs to play for us, ever... when it is all said and done.. Guarantee it... Or my name isn't Cam Taylor-Britt errrrrrrr Jake Browning..

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-draft-grades-for-afc-teams-patriots-get-strange-with-a-c-while-ravens-and-jets-shine-with-a-191209069.html

Cincinnati Bengals

Picks: 1-31: Michigan S Dax Hill; 2-60: Nebraska CB Cam Taylor-Britt; 3-95: Florida DE Zachary Carter; 4-136: North Dakota State OG Cordell Volson; 5-166: Toledo S Tycen Anderson; 7-252: Coastal Carolina EDGE Jeffrey Gunter

Favorite pick: Hill

Sign me up. After hammering the offensive line in free agency, it was clear that the Bengals were eyeing the secondary as the next target zone. Was there luck in Hill (a top-20 prospect on our board) slipping to them? Sure. But whatever works. The Bengals kept their trademark patience and nailed the pick. Hill can play multiple roles in Lou Anarumo’s defense and give Cincinnati another playmaker to pair with Jesse Bates. Along with the Taylor-Britt pick, that secondary got better by a clear measure.

Least-favorite pick: Volson

Volson doesn’t offer too much that’s exciting other than his length. Landing him on Day 3 makes this criticism more muted, but we viewed him as a late-pick value. Still, the o-line can always use more talent. We shall see if Volson can handle edge speed at tackle or if he might be tried inside, where he’d be among the taller guards in the league.

Overall: The Bengals did really well, and we even saw a rare (albeit short) trade up to land Taylor-Britt, another favorite of ours. With him, Hill and Anderson, the secondary and special teams are in far better shape, even if there’s some overlap in their skills. It follows a Bengals pattern: killing mosquitoes with sledgehammers. (Translation: Throw as many possible solutions at a problem area and pick the best options.) The Bengals addressed needs and didn’t reach badly on any of their picks; even their seventh-rounder, Gunter, was a nice pluck. The smallest scouting staff in the NFL did some work with this class.

Grade: B

Grade in 2021: B-
Grade in 2020: B+
Grade in 2019: B+

This guy/gal is grading the Bengals draft and doesn't know that Volson is slotted as a guard and played it in the Senior Bowl.  If you are going to write this stuff for a living shouldn't you know more than the random fan?

15 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

This guy/gal is grading the Bengals draft and doesn't know that Volson is slotted as a guard and played it in the Senior Bowl.  If you are going to write this stuff for a living shouldn't you know more than the random fan?

I had a friend text me asking me why we took two safeties back to back. ESPN had listed Taylor-Britt as a S.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Expected a TE at some point, guess they're happy with Hurst & Sample

Those guys are fine for 2022 but both are free agents after the season. We really could have used a talent infusion there. I would have taken Ruckert in round 3 instead of Carter. Ruckert would be a massive upgrade from Wilcox, Schreck, or Moss. He could maybe beat out Sample for the TE2 job by end of the year. 

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Those guys are fine for 2022 but both are free agents after the season. We really could have used a talent infusion there. I would have taken Ruckert in round 3 instead of Carter. Ruckert would be a massive upgrade from Wilcox, Schreck, or Moss. He could maybe beat out Sample for the TE2 job by end of the year. 

Can only assume they expect next year's draft class to be much better for TE's?  I see the first off the board was McBride halfway through the 2nd so can believe this was a weak TE class.

32 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

A personal brain worm but looking at this year's draft class going into 2022 I give our Special Teams

(esp kick coverage) an A+.  Some of the UDFA look like they could shine in this capacity, too.

Agree Harry..

Thay allready have good gunners in Mike Thomas and Stanley Morgan 

With the latest talent on board Simmons will have speed all thru the line on coverages..

This unit could be something special.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Can only assume they expect next year's draft class to be much better for TE's?  I see the first off the board was McBride halfway through the 2nd so can believe this was a weak TE class.

This was a decent year for TE talent. Nobody at the highest end like Kyle Pitts or Mike Mayer, but at least 10 guys who will make NFL rosters and see playing time as rookies. I would have liked Ruckert as I think he'd be successful in the Bengals scheme as a good blocker and outlet receiver. His weakness is as a route runner which isn't as important with our WR group. He'd also give us more contract options in 2023. Suppose Hurst has a great season. We're already looking at extensions for Logan Wilson, Jonah Williams, Tee Higgins, and maybe Burrow next year. Don't need to add both our top 2 TEs to that. 

You can't fill every hole. Even though I'd like to sit the kid from FL for a year so he can add weight, the Bengals had to weigh do they take the guy they are going to convert to 3 tech who will get snaps right away vs a TE who would be 3rd on the depth chart? If both guys are in the same ranked bucket you have take the guy who will get to play otherwise go BPA.

Now that the team has, finally, embraced free agency as a way to build a team, the draft becomes importnat but NOT critical year to year. Where in the past we had to land like 50% 'good' players each year that is no longer a neccessity. To me, this provides the draft in a different context - very few, if any, immediate starters. Draft and develop and increase depth and competition. If there are large gaps (like OL was), fill in with free agency. When do have a nice run of great players who need to be re-signed, then you revert back to the depth created as you can't sign all the best ones all the time. 

Solid position to be in. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

You can't fill every hole. Even though I'd like to sit the kid from FL for a year so he can add weight, the Bengals had to weigh do they take the guy they are going to convert to 3 tech who will get snaps right away vs a TE who would be 3rd on the depth chart? If both guys are in the same ranked bucket you have take the guy who will get to play otherwise go BPA.

But that's the problem. Ranking Carter as a 3rd rounder (or better!) and Volson as a 4th rounder seem like misevaluations. What's the argument for Carter as a DT over Curtis Brooks or Haskell Garrett who would be available 3 rounds later? 

Archived