Bengals getting 5 prime time games this year.

4 hours ago, Griever said:

overlapping games on MNF? Seems a little odd to have a ratings battle

I've always thought that eventually the NFL would go to 2 Sunday and 2 Monday night games based on time zone. Where the first is from 7-10 pm Eastern Time and the second one in the Western US from 7-10 pm Pacific time (10 pm-1 am Eastern). Sort of how college football does it for the Pac 10. 

All about squeezing every ounce of advertising out on a product that automatically sells itself and beats out whatever other bullshit is on tv at that time.

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I've always thought that eventually the NFL would go to 2 Sunday and 2 Monday night games based on time zone. Where the first is from 7-10 pm Eastern Time and the second one in the Western US from 7-10 pm Pacific time (10 pm-1 am Eastern). Sort of how college football does it for the Pac 10. 

All about squeezing every ounce of advertising out on a product that automatically sells itself and beats out whatever other bullshit is on tv at that time.

no point, you then have people who CANT watch the games, thats 4pm west coast game, ratings are dead until 6pm, then ending at 1am eastern? last two hours no ones watching.. you arent going to get good overall ratings for either, so you arent going to get good ad reveniew for either, why bother?

13 hours ago, Griever said:

Not the Bengals...but is there any particular reason they are putting on overlapping games on MNF? Seems a little odd to have a ratings battle

kinda like having 7 games at 1pm est every sunday... youre gonna get better ratings than most shows that would be on, and instead of fans ignoring it if its NFC and they are AFC fans, you can potentially save from people turning off completely by having "something for everyone" almost.

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

kinda like having 7 games at 1pm est every sunday... youre gonna get better ratings than most shows that would be on, and instead of fans ignoring it if its NFC and they are AFC fans, you can potentially save from people turning off completely by having "something for everyone" almost.

Yeah that's a good point. To me, MNF (and later TNF) was intended to showcase a particular matchup for the week. That's pretty much become SNF though. I guess if one game isn't competitive, viewers will be able to flip to the other on Mondays now.

44 minutes ago, Griever said:

Yeah that's a good point. To me, MNF (and later TNF) was intended to showcase a particular matchup for the week. That's pretty much become SNF though. I guess if one game isn't competitive, viewers will be able to flip to the other on Mondays now.

I figure it's all about revenue.  They may only get 60% of what they would get for a single MNF game, but 2x 60% is better than 1x 100%. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, GoBengals said:

He basically said it’s not off the table based on conference rotation since it’s the 17th game. But said that slot kills so why put a high selling game in it. Cowboys bengals will get 40 million viewers so will cowboys eagles. So he said cowboys bengals may be better suited for another slot as it is a draw matchup on its own. 

I'm chiming in a little late, apologies.

Before the league added a third Thanksgiving game on NFL Network, Dallas and Detroit were the only hosts in play.  CBS and FOX would alternate who would host which game, which was driven by the conference affiliation of the visiting team.  This meant that on even years, Detroit would host an AFC team and on odd years Dallas would host an AFC team.  Due to schedule rotation this fully-excluded the Stripes from ever appearing as we would play at Detroit only in odd years (2005, 2013, 2021) and at Dallas (2000, 2008, 2016) only on even ones.

Due to the new 17th game rule, Cincinnati at Dallas when Dallas is scheduled to be on CBS is an unprecedented quirk.  I would be surprised if CBS didn't jump at this and demand the league give them that matchup.

Updating to add:  Dallas has only 3 AFC opponents at home this year: Indy, Houston and us.  Barring a complete redo of the Thanksgiving broadcast agreements, one of those three play on Thanksgiving as CBS "gets" the Dallas game and CBS generally "owns" intraconference games where the visitor is AFC.  

5 hours ago, Griever said:

does that mean we don't have a separate TNF game?

Thanksgiving at 4 pm doesn't count as a Thurs night game I believe. So would still get one as part of the (hopefully) maximum 5 prime time night games. 

On 5/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, Jamie_B said:

I don't think the AFC Champions are going to be flying under the radar no matter how many prime time games we get or dont get.

One would think, but from listening to national sports radio in the car not so much.. 

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Dolphins schedule is out. We play them Week 4 on Monday night. 

How is theirs out and we have to wait until 8:00 or something.

Oh well and whatever... glad its away.  I go to the home night games

but don't care for getting to bed so late after I go home and having to

get up the next morning and go to work.  Usually to amped after the

game to go to sleep right away, anyway.

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

How is theirs out and we have to wait until 8:00 or something.

Oh well and whatever... glad its away.  I go to the home night games

but don't care for getting to bed so late after I go home and having to

get up the next morning and go to work.  Usually to amped after the

game to go to sleep right away, anyway.

We have Fins at PBS, and I'm thinking this may be a leak? Nothing on their website yet?

Archived