The Bates Stuff

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I think we lost 2 (Uzomah and Phillips) and gained 3 (Cappa, Karras, and Hurst) so we won't get any comp picks next year. 

thanks.

In that case, trade him now while we can get something for him, have his

replacement on the roster, rather than letting him walk at the end of the

season and getting nothing.

Unless, of course, the deal is not as far apart as we have been led to believe.

Just a note to point out that the “no comp pick for Bates” only applies to him leaving this summer…but sounds like the deadline has passed anyway.    

If he plays this year, then walks, we would likely get a comp pick, IF we lose more free agents than we sign next off-season.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

18.4 per year and 36 guaranteed. 

No way the Bengals pay Bates that. I think that's the nail in the coffin on a long term deal.

Normally I would agree but JB is now backing Bates as a key locker room guy - and in order to keep building the culture they may have to pay at the high level. Can't do this for everyone but you have to try and keep your leaders. It is critical to culture change and the ability to sustain the change. 

Not to say JB has that much pull (he may) but we will also see how the ocahces perceive Bates as a needed leader in the locker room. If it was up to me, i would sign him to this same deal as Fitzpatrick received. Early on in the culture change process you have to recognize and reward those who championed the chnage and you dont want to be perceived as going backwards. 

If you sign Bates, the let Bell go after this year you have 4/5 years with the two new safeties we drfated beofre we have to make any dicsions on them. A lot can happen in that time period. 

Welp, enjoy Jessie Bates while you can.  I agree that its not worth paying a safety that kind of money, no matter how good he is.  But, if that's the market I'm sure Bates will get it.  He's good.  No hard feelings.  Wish him the best.

If the Bengals get this season out of Bates at 12 million that's a huge bargain and great value.

However, if he holds out (likely) and refuses to play, then trade him for a 2nd and 4th rd pick and move on. 

While true that Bates is a foundational locker room piece, good Super Bowl teams usually can't keep the entire band together and players get poached. 

With this team the most important pieces for the future to break the bank on are Burrow, Chase, Wilson, and Higgins (in that order). I would rank Bates 5th behind all 4 of them.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

If the Bengals get this season out of Bates at 12 million that's a huge bargain and great value.

However, if he holds out (likely) and refuses to play, then trade him for a 2nd and 4th rd pick and move on. 

While true that Bates is a foundational locker room piece, good Super Bowl teams usually can't keep the entire band together and players get poached. 

With this team the most important pieces for the future to break the bank on are Burrow, Chase, Wilson, and Higgins (in that order). I would rank Bates 5th behind all 4 of them.

In Burrow's press conference yesterday he certainly made it sound like Bates would report. While he made a public plea for Bates to get paid, Burrow didn't do him any contract favors by taking some of his leverage away in terms of possibly sitting out the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, they won't do a long term deal now that they've drafted Hill. Bates won't hold out the whole season, he'll at least show up for enough games to get credit toward serving this year and hitting free agency next season. I think he'll probably show up before week 1. 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:46 PM, T-Dub said:

Guess the question is, how much would not playing hurt his value? 

He could kind of coast through the season taking some weeks off and still get that top 5 contract.  

If he coasts through the season (making it to mediocre ones in a row, who's giving him top money?

Archived