The Bates Stuff

There are no NFL PFF grades on Dax Hill. 

They go where the bouncing ball lands, but they are not foolish enough to think there is no gamble on a wet-behind-the-ears rookie.  

And JBIII is not foolish enough to go full Leveon Bell either. He doesn’t hate Cincinnati like Bell hated the Stealers…isn’t as adventurous as Adams in blackmailing Green Bay, and definitely is not BS nuts like Dez. 

There will be an “understanding” just before TC or the season ala Dez, and he’ll play. No doubt in my mind.

Dax Hill was a very versatile safety for Michigan last season. Often he played a Vonn Bell type role, sometimes a Mike Hilton role, occasionally a Tre Flowers type DB. The one type of safety he played the least? A deep free safety like Bates. Which isn't to say he can't do it, just that he got very few college snaps in that type of role.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

I would put Bates like #11 myself ...

1. Burrow 

2. Chase 

3. Higgins 

4. Hendrickson

5. Jonah

6. Chido 

7. Mixon 

8. Hilton 

9. Wilson

10. Reader 

11. Bates

I'm with you on the 1st 5 but the rest.....

1. Burrow 

2. Chase 

3. Higgins 

4. Hendrickson

5. Jonah

6. Reader 

7. Chido

8. McPherson (how many games did we win by 3 points last year?)

9. Bates

10. Mixon

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I would put Bates like #11 myself ...

1. Burrow 

2. Chase 

3. Higgins 

4. Hendrickson

5. Jonah

6. Chido 

7. Mixon 

8. Hilton 

9. Wilson

10. Reader 

11. Bates

You could really put the entire offensive line ahead of him too.

1 hour ago, lslmustang said:

The challenge will be how his teammates feel about this and will it impact team chemistry...  Are there things he does that is outside of the measurements? 

Have seen nothing but positives coming out of the locker room. Appears he is a model teammate and quite respected--at least from the public statements anyway.  

image.png

there are certainly players theyve only guaranteed the first year, but its far from rare to guarantee more. whether its from signing bonus or something other than contactually guaranteeing it. but it does seem its mostly a draft pick thing which obviously makes sense.

seems interesting they have a per game active bonus on several contracts..

image.png

bates and reader are the 2nd and 3rd highest cap hits, so assuming bates falls off after 2022 and reader after 2023, and hendrickson the top hit right now, after 2024, so all three of our most expensive deals fall off one per year each of the next three offseasons.

that seems well planned

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

bates and reader are the 2nd and 3rd highest cap hits, so assuming bates falls off after 2022 and reader after 2023, and hendrickson the top hit right now, after 2024, so all three of our most expensive deals fall off one per year each of the next three offseasons.

that seems well planned

And the key will be replacing them through the draft.  Already planned for safeties in 2022.  Expecting next year to be heavy DL/OL.

Also from the contracts above....Hubbard, what a bargain.

3 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

And the key will be replacing them through the draft.  Already planned for safeties in 2022.  Expecting next year to be heavy DL/OL.

Also from the contracts above....Hubbard, what a bargain.

I'm expecting CB and LB. 

Cheeto will be on his last year, Apple is only here for 1 year. CTB will be the only long term signing. Then we also have 3 LBs that are coming due for extensions, we wont keep al 3.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm expecting CB and LB. 

Cheeto will be on his last year, Apple is only here for 1 year. CTB will be the only long term signing. Then we also have 3 LBs that are coming due for extensions, we wont keep al 3.

This is true.  After re-examining the contracts I forgot they signed Cappa/Karras/Collins to multi-year deals.

Archived