The Bates Stuff

Just now, Dautcom08 said:

This is true.  After re-examining the contracts I forgot they signed Kappa/Karras to multi-years and Collins is the only one on a one year deal.

??

Collins signed a 3 year deal

Williams got his 5th year option picked up (he's in year 4 this year, and 5 next). 

I think it's CB and LB this year (and TE)

Then WR with both Boyd and hopefully not but maybe Higgins replaced the following

then OL and RB? (When is Mixon up?)

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

??

Collins signed a 3 year deal

Williams got his 5th year option picked up (he's in year 4 this year, and 5 next). 

I think it's CB and LB this year (and TE)

Then WR with both Boyd and hopefully not but maybe Higgins replaced the following

then OL and RB? (When is Mixon up?)

after the 2024 season. so 3 more left for him.

17 hours ago, GoBengals said:

bates and reader are the 2nd and 3rd highest cap hits, so assuming bates falls off after 2022 and reader after 2023, and hendrickson the top hit right now, after 2024, so all three of our most expensive deals fall off one per year each of the next three offseasons.

that seems well planned

I wish Awuzie had been a 4 year deal instead of just 3. Played far better than most of us expected and he is still young.

Bengals don't like to give long 3rd deals to players but should be willing to do year by year deals. Vonn Bell wasn't coming off his rookie deal when they signed him. Chido will still be in his prime when his current deal ends. 

Personally I'd like to draft Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer if he's available next year but CB looks like a good guess due to positional value. 

Tyler Boyd might not be in Cincy after his current deal and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Mixon doesn't make it to the end of his current contract. 

We can't have a whole roster of guys on rookie deals and 2nd contracts. There's certainly a place to take a chance on some vets on 1 or 2 year deals. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals don't like to give long 3rd deals to players but should be willing to do year by year deals. Vonn Bell wasn't coming off his rookie deal when they signed him. Chido will still be in his prime when his current deal ends. 

Personally I'd like to draft Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer if he's available next year but CB looks like a good guess due to positional value. 

Tyler Boyd might not be in Cincy after his current deal and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Mixon doesn't make it to the end of his current contract. 

We can't have a whole roster of guys on rookie deals and 2nd contracts. There's certainly a place to take a chance on some vets on 1 or 2 year deals. 

Suspect Higgins will want a shot at WR1 somewhere as well

On 7/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, T-Dub said:

Suspect Higgins will want a shot at WR1 somewhere as well

I think he may like the idea of playing with JB. Better to be #2 on a winning team kind of thing?

As for Bates, I was a big proponent of signing him , mainly for the culture and leadership. However, i can see they may want to preserve Higgens/Chase/Burrows/OL/DE and keep drafting elsewhere to fill holes. 

56 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think he may like the idea of playing with JB. Better to be #2 on a winning team kind of thing?

As for Bates, I was a big proponent of signing him , mainly for the culture and leadership. However, i can see they may want to preserve Higgens/Chase/Burrows/OL/DE and keep drafting elsewhere to fill holes. 

As far as Higgins goes, I think there will be teams willing to pay him more than number 2 receiver money. I doubt the Bengals will though.

36 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

As far as Higgins goes, I think there will be teams willing to pay him more than number 2 receiver money. I doubt the Bengals will though.

If Burrow really wants the Bengals to keep Higgins, he could make it happen Burrow has all of the bargaining power next offseason. He could have his agent work out the details for his contract extension, but only sign it after the Bengals sign Higgins to an extension first. Any deal with Higgins would require the Bengals to pay substantial guaranteed money to a non-QB, which is something they have never done before. Would then set a new contract structure precedent for the Bengals that would greatly increase the chances of signing Chase to an extension during the following offseason.

Burrow has more leverage than probably any player in Bengals history A move like that would help keep the championship window open wider and longer into the future. His teammates would love him even more than they already do. I certainly wouldn't put it past him. Burrow has always seemed like a shrewd guy who has his eye on the big picture.

Under NFL rules Bates can't sign long-term with the Bengals or another team if traded until after this season ... so really the only question for him right now is play for his 13 million, or sit out and earn nothing. Not a strong hand to be holding. 

I also interpret Mike Brown's comments to mean they are prioritizing Burrow, Higgins, and Chase over Bates, so their price tag will be the same next off season as well as it was this one. 

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I also interpret Mike Brown's comments to mean they are prioritizing Burrow, Higgins, and Chase over Bates, so their price tag will be the same next off season as well as it was this one. 

Yeah, I agree.

I also see that the thing with the naming rights to the stadium coming up just now is for the $$ to go toward signing some or all of the aforementioned players.

If its Bates v Tee, Buh Bye Jesse.  And good luck getting the $$ the Squeels overpaid that putz of theirs.

looking at those rating the distance between the best and worst isnt huge, as in Id expect hill if he had to start all year, to end the season ranked higher than bates. bates balled his ass off in the playoffs and SB, but he didnt have a great year, im not sweating this one.

11 hours ago, GoBengals said:

looking at those rating the distance between the best and worst isnt huge, as in Id expect hill if he had to start all year, to end the season ranked higher than bates. bates balled his ass off in the playoffs and SB, but he didnt have a great year, im not sweating this one.

Bates had a brilliant 2020 season, and may have been the best player on the team from start to finish. (admittedly there wasn't much else to choose from that year). Even if he didn't have a great reg season last year, that will have no bearing on how he will play this season. I expect Bates to have a great year and sign a big contract elsewhere with plenty of guaranteed money. Entering free agency at such a young age will be a great selling point. The Bengals will get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him down the road.

Archived