The Bates Stuff

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

And he's being pushed by Dax Hill. Should sharpen the focus. 

I think Vonn Bell might be the one who gets pushed by Dax Hill. Bell provides leadership and stability, but I don't think he's the cover man Dax Hill can be. If it is a passing down and the Bengals only have 5 DBs on the field, I want Hill to be one of them. Bates for another.

37 minutes ago, dex said:

I think Vonn Bell might be the one who gets pushed by Dax Hill. Bell provides leadership and stability, but I don't think he's the cover man Dax Hill can be. If it is a passing down and the Bengals only have 5 DBs on the field, I want Hill to be one of them. Bates for another.

Bell isn't supposed to be a great cover guy.  He's more run support and thumping receivers after the catch in zone.  He did OK covering, but that isn't his strength.  It should be a great rotation.

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Bell isn't supposed to be a great cover guy.  He's more run support and thumping receivers after the catch in zone.  He did OK covering, but that isn't his strength.  It should be a great rotation.

Appreciate what Bell brings to the table in run support. But Hill's speed and versatility could be really disruptive as a strong safety, especially in passing situations. Keep in mind that Bell is also a free agent after this year, although I expect the Bengals will attempt to re-sign. Especially since they figure to lose the other starting safety to free agency.

56 minutes ago, dex said:

Appreciate what Bell brings to the table in run support. But Hill's speed and versatility could be really disruptive as a strong safety, especially in passing situations. Keep in mind that Bell is also a free agent after this year, although I expect the Bengals will attempt to re-sign. Especially since they figure to lose the other starting safety to free agency.

I think Hill is a little slight to play full time SS.  Passing downs?  Sure.  You still want a thumper on your team for run support and I don't think Hill is built for that.  Bell has 25 pounds on him.

You have to enjoy the fact that Dax played so great last game that Bates may have thought "Shit, he may already be better than me".

Bates return also seems a little bittersweet because he pouted for several weeks of camp and accomplished nothing by doing so.

I think even now at least half of Bengals fans would say "trade him for an OL, we have Dax" -- so Bates will have to earn back the fans support with a few big plays early in the season (to be fully forgiven). 

Bates did what MANY players do that get franchise tagged and are unable to come to an agreement on an extended deal.  He avoided much of training camp, and signed the tender late.  Big whoop.

The Bengals’ long-term offer did look low (with respect to guaranteed  amounts), and Bates thought he was worth more.  Apparently, there are teams in the NFL that place more value on safeties, so it’s hard to blame him.

The “it’s a business“ mantra goes both ways.  

Unfortunately, he will be labeled as a bad guy by many of those uneducated in the process of tagging in the NFL, and I rue the anticipated negative greeting that will be expressed by many fans of this team. 

🦗

[Edited to clean up a couple of fat-finger typing errors.]

31 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Bates did what MANY players do that get franchise tagged and are unable to come to an agreement on an extended deal.  He avoided much of training camp, and signed the tender late.  Big whoop.

The Bengals’ long-term offer did look low (with respect to guaranteed  amounts), and Bates thought he was worth more.  Apparently, there are teams Olin the NFL that place more value on safeties, so it’s hard to blame him.

Unfortunately, he will be labeled as a bad guy by many of those uneducated in the process of tagging in the NFL, and I rue the anticipated negative greeting that will be expressed my many fans of this team. 

🦗

I don't even consider Bates a holdout since he wasn't even under contract until today. I really think he's going to have a monster year.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Bates was always going to play, the idea that he came back because Dax played well the other night is a bit silly. He was never going to turn down 13 million dollars. 

Agreed.  And I think that the team knew it.

22 hours ago, Cricket said:

The Bengals’ long-term offer did look low (with respect to guaranteed  amounts), and Bates thought he was worth more.  Apparently, there are teams in the NFL that place more value on safeties, so it’s hard to blame him.

Unfortunately, he will be labeled as a bad guy by many of those uneducated in the process of tagging in the NFL, and I rue the anticipated negative greeting that will be expressed by many fans of this team. 

🦗

[Edited to clean up a couple of fat-finger typing errors.]

Not knowing the exact numbers, if I'm Bates I take a discount up to a certain point to play with a young QB like Burrow and get in on this growing "dynasty" or run if you prefer. Now if I'm the Bengals, I let him walk and take the 3rd rd pick as comp

20 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Not knowing the exact numbers, if I'm Bates I take a discount up to a certain point to play with a young QB like Burrow and get in on this growing "dynasty" or run if you prefer. Now if I'm the Bengals, I let him walk and take the 3rd rd pick as comp

One point: that third round comp pick wouldn’t come until the 2024 draft…

18 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

You might see a player here or there take less to stay in a certain situation, but most probably look at it more as a business and take the best offer on the table. These guys don't get to play for long and who knows how many times they'll be in a position to snag a big life changing contract. I would love to see guys stay in Cinci just because they love it so much, but in the end it probably makes more sense to go where the big money is.

Archived