"Prove-It" Year For Burrow?

On 5/20/2022 at 5:10 AM, WRAPradio said:

If I remember correctly, LSU started slowly in the Championship game vs. Clemson, then got rolling.  Only concern I really have with Burrow is turning those 5 yard sacks into 12 yard sacks.  He makes so many plays by getting out of danger, but when it doesn't work it looks really bad and flips field position.  I guess there's a balance, you want him to make those plays, but based on time and score, he needs to know when to eat the ball or throw it away.

if you get bored follow greg cossel(sp) around and his nfl matchup show and on ross tucker podcast etc. 

in the PEAK of russell wilsons godlike years when he was. a magician escape artist greatest ever according to the media, greg broke him down and ran his own stats, and he was a net negative player. He showed him missing basic reads that are open, scramble around, and one of four things happens when he scrambled for more than X seconds, 1 a turnover, 2 a sack, 3 a big play or completion, 4 an incompletion. and it was basically split into thirds combining INT/INC then sack and big plays, which had him a net-negative on the play. be he was ignoring more positive plays trying to make a better and making more bad plays than they should have had. He just had such a great defense he got more chances to make a good play later. As his defense has slipped over the years so has his winning.

while i dont think its related to burrow, in his podcast interview with full send (which is fucking terrible podcast by the way but joe is good on it) he talks about sacks, says sacks can be overrated statistically, a sack on third down doesnt matter, if in field goal range he would rather throw it away and get the points obviously but punting from the 45 or the 35 isnt changing much. so thats kinda how i look at those, if he takes a lighter hit and loses a few extra yards, fuck it. i only remember one time he took us out of field goal range on a sack, unless im missing more?

im not sure i take the sacks as lightly as he is or if he is just playing it off, but it was. an interesting take.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

if you get bored follow greg cossel(sp) around and his nfl matchup show and on ross tucker podcast etc. 

in the PEAK of russell wilsons godlike years when he was. a magician escape artist greatest ever according to the media, greg broke him down and ran his own stats, and he was a net negative player. He showed him missing basic reads that are open, scramble around, and one of four things happens when he scrambled for more than X seconds, 1 a turnover, 2 a sack, 3 a big play or completion, 4 an incompletion. and it was basically split into thirds combining INT/INC then sack and big plays, which had him a net-negative on the play. be he was ignoring more positive plays trying to make a better and making more bad plays than they should have had. He just had such a great defense he got more chances to make a good play later. As his defense has slipped over the years so has his winning.

while i dont think its related to burrow, in his podcast interview with full send (which is fucking terrible podcast by the way but joe is good on it) he talks about sacks, says sacks can be overrated statistically, a sack on third down doesnt matter, if in field goal range he would rather throw it away and get the points obviously but punting from the 45 or the 35 isnt changing much. so thats kinda how i look at those, if he takes a lighter hit and loses a few extra yards, fuck it. i only remember one time he took us out of field goal range on a sack, unless im missing more?

im not sure i take the sacks as lightly as he is or if he is just playing it off, but it was. an interesting take.

Don't remember who I was watching they they commented on that saying Joe was right nut the concern should be keeping himself healthy by not taking sacks if he doesn't have to. 

Joe is still young so it's not a big issue, but I see that point too.

Archived