18 kids, 3 adults

Jamie_B

1 hour ago, Cat said:

If only a good guy with a gun had been there...

Oh, wait...

https://www.winknews.com/2022/05/16/security-guard-killed-in-buffalo-shooting-hailed-as-a-hero/

And in the face of this tragedy, some news outlets last night (I'm looking at you, Faux News) were already blaming "the lack of security measures". Why wasn't there an armed resource officer there? Why aren't the fences taller? THIS WAS AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!! How tall do the fences need to be to keep kids inside the playground during recess? I'm sure that when this school was built, they didn't build the fences to keep out a school shooter. That probably wasn't even on their radar. 

It's another sad and tragic story and people will feel bad for a while, and noise will be made about gun reform, and nothing will happen or change. :(

IDK what laws if any would've prevented this but restricting gun ownership to age 21+ might be helpful.  I do have some reservations considering we will gladly arm an 18 year old with a hell of a lot worse than a semiauto rifle and send them out to fight our battles. We won't let them legally drink a beer either though so I guess that hypocrisy is acceptable.

Also worth noting a schoolteacher relative of mine once had a student bring a Glock to school that he bought on the street for $150 (legally it would sell for  at least 2-3x that amount.) Luckily he was just showing it off to other kids and it got confiscated.  Nothing about that was legal but the kid still had a handgun at school.  "People break laws therefore laws are useless" is a stupid argument but it does illustrate there's no simple band-aid fix for this.

Lastly we should also keep in mind that poorly written and unenforced weapon bans have effectively done very little except lose Democrats elections.  That is an unfortunate practical consideration.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, T-Dub said:

IDK what laws if any would've prevented this but restricting gun ownership to age 21+ might be helpful.  I do have some reservations considering we will gladly arm an 18 year old with a hell of a lot worse than a semiauto rifle and send them out to fight our battles. We won't let them legally drink a beer either though so I guess that hypocrisy is acceptable.

Also worth noting a schoolteacher relative of mine once had a student bring a Glock to school that he bought on the street for $150 (legally it would sell for  at least 2-3x that amount.) Luckily he was just showing it off to other kids and it got confiscated.  Nothing about that was legal but the kid still had a handgun at school.  "People break laws therefore laws are useless" is a stupid argument but it does illustrate there's no simple band-aid fix for this.

Lastly we should also keep in mind that poorly written and unenforced weapon bans have effectively done very little except lose Democrats elections.  That is an unfortunate practical consideration.

I had something like that happen when I was a kid living in Germany. Kid brought his dad's gun to school, I reported him, and so did someone else in that class who I never found out about, the Army sent him and his family back to the states immediately. Not sure what happened to them after that.

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I had something like that happen when I was a kid living in Germany. Kid brought his dad's gun to school, I reported him, and so did someone else in that class who I never found out about, the Army sent him and his family back to the states immediately. Not sure what happened to them after that.

Wasn't the only gun at school during their teaching career, but the only one that wasn't presumably stolen from a parent.   Obviously some shit parenting if a kid has access to their guns, let alone being unaware enough to not notice it missing.  Should also mention this was at a middle school so 12-13 age group.

I think this incident illustrates something a lot of people fail to consider when comparing the US to other countries and their gun laws: the sheer number of guns in circulation here.  They're so tied to ingrained concepts like manifest destiny that we're absolutely flooded with them.  It's why I think bans are kind of pointless & we should focus on the transaction in & storage of, instead.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, T-Dub said:

Wasn't the only gun at school during their teaching career, but the only one that wasn't presumably stolen from a parent.   Obviously some shit parenting if a kid has access to their guns, let alone being unaware enough to not notice it missing.  Should also mention this was at a middle school so 12-13 age group.

I think this incident illustrates something a lot of people fail to consider when comparing the US to other countries and their gun laws: the sheer number of guns in circulation here.  They're so tied to ingrained concepts like manifest destiny that we're absolutely flooded with them.  It's why I think bans are kind of pointless & we should focus on the transaction in & storage of, instead.

Focus on transaction and storage, absolutely. However, even having guns locked up away from kids doesn’t always work. My son had a teammate on his summer baseball team 10 years ago (so this kid was 14) who found his grandfather’s locked up gun, pulled it out to show his best friend. The gun accidentally went off and the friend was shot in the chest and died. 

My understanding is that the person who shot up the school was living with his grandparents because his parents were out of the picture. Same with the my son’s teammate. Now, I’m not saying that kids being raised by grandparents is the issue here, not at all, because sometimes that’s the only option. But I will say that absent parents is a large part of the issue also.

Gun control and trying to stop mass shootings is a multi faceted issue that has a multitude of partial solutions that aggregate into a solution, but our legislators can’t agree on what to do. Liberals want to take away guns. Conservatives want to address mental health issues and what they call “the decay of the family “. 

Meanwhile, mass shootings keep happening. 😪

6 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Focus on transaction and storage, absolutely. However, even having guns locked up away from kids doesn’t always work. My son had a teammate on his summer baseball team 10 years ago (so this kid was 14) who found his grandfather’s locked up gun, pulled it out to show his best friend. The gun accidentally went off and the friend was shot in the chest and died.

Grandfather's gun wasn't locked up well enough.  We have no stomach for going after a bereaved grandfather legally, but maybe we need to nut up because he was 100% at fault.  I'd sue the shit out of them if it was my kid for wrongful death.  Would I win? Probably not, for the same reason.

Point being that is still a failure in safe storage, and should be prosecutable as such.

Liberals want to take away guns

Some do, for sure.  However that is mostly a talking point hammered by Republicans who are owned by the gun lobby and the NRA.  Russia funneled millions to them to support that effort btw.  "No smoking gun" was such an epic troll... 

Anyway the other end of that is that most of the prominent anti-gun lobby barely know which end the bang comes from.  They're fixated on AR-15's, it's like combatting drunk driving by banning the Honda Civic, it's just the most popular of a whole slew of automatic rifles dating back to WW2.  The AR platform is just arguably better than all the others & banning it means banning the most popular, affordable modern rifle.

The Virginia Tech attacker killed 32 people with a pair of handguns.  It's not about what kind of car you drive, its about being drunk in one.

Conservatives want to address mental health issues and what they call “the decay of the family “

They want to address it by telling people to pray about it.  When it comes to actually funding anything to do with families or mental health they will consistently vote against it.

Right now "Conservatives" means White Nationalism & blindly following Putin's Puppet over a cliff.  Until relatively sane people like Romney (who I have no great admiration for, to be clear, but he seems mostly not-batshit insane) are back in control instead of parasites like McConnell and Qonspiracy fucktards like MTG I have no patience with "conservatives".  Quit trying to create a white Christian police state and we can maybe have a civil conversation about guns or anything else of concern.  I'm not going to meet someone halfway when they insist on standing chest deep in shit, y'know?

Archived