OTA stuff and other Bengals news week of 6/6/22

Didn't hear any complaints with breaking it up into a weekly thread last week, so let's try it again.  Reporters on-site tomorrow. I believe some helmet'd practices this week and next before they break until training camp. 

Haven't heard if the team is returning to normal training camp attendance this year. Hope so. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Didn't hear any complaints with breaking it up into a weekly thread last week, so let's try it again.  Reporters on-site tomorrow. I believe some helmet'd practices this week and next before they break until training camp. 

Haven't heard if the team is returning to normal training camp attendance this year. Hope so. 

Kind of miss the old days when summer training camp was at the Summer Jungle, Wilmington College, home of the Fighting Quakers... how's that for an oxymoron?  OK.  I don't.  But always found it amusing that after practice the guys would go for beers at the Airport Owl.  Actually, it was the Airport Bowl but the B had fallen off the sign years before and was never replaced.

I go back to the Wilmington days. Remember attending some practices at Boomer's first training camp - jokingly yelling "cut him" with my dad (RIP dad) and brother over some errant passes.  Got Anthony Munoz's autograph that year.  Liked there and Georgetown for seeing practices. I get why they stay at the stadium now, but it is not the same. That said, it is not a bad compromise either assuming they open those sessions back up outside the stadium now post the worst of Covid. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I go back to the Wilmington days. Remember attending some practices at Boomer's first training camp - jokingly yelling "cut him" with my dad (RIP dad) and brother over some errant passes.  Got Anthony Munoz's autograph that year.  Liked there and Georgetown for seeing practices. I get why they stay at the stadium now, but it is not the same. That said, it is not a bad compromise either assuming they open those sessions back up outside the stadium now post the worst of Covid. 

I attended some practices there also, including the last year there. I was 7 months pregnant and it was stinking hot that day. (Easy ride from Columbus)

FWIW, back in the 80's, there was a mystery writer named Jonathan Valin who wrote mysteries set in Cincinnati. One of them was called "Life's Work" and it was about a Cincinnati football player who went AWOL, but some of the book was set at Wilmington College during training camp. Interesting that he used that title, as Paul Brown used to say that some football players needed to retire and find their life's work. It's a good read if you're into mysteries.

And that is my book review for the day. :)

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I still can't believe we have La'el Collins here. 

Yeah man LC was a huge pickup. The crazy thing about it is when it became apparent he wasn't staying with the 'Boys, he was someone every fan and pundit was clamoring for as a great fit. Bengals were like, we got you.

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I attended some practices there also, including the last year there. I was 7 months pregnant and it was stinking hot that day. (Easy ride from Columbus)

I would go a lot back then too. I have a lot of fun interaction stories with players and coaches--they were so accessible back then--but my favorite will always be my 5-minute one-on-one with the Old Man himself. 

They used to use certain pathways from the college dorms/cafeteria buildings to the practice fields. These would get jammed with people waiting for the players to walk back, so was always a push to see people. This happenstance occurred during TC of 1989--the year after SB 23. I had been wandering about after one morning practice and the crowds had cleared out. I was walking along one of those paths towards the cafeteria building, when I noticed an older fellow in a straw hat walking along the same path. Came up alongside, and sure enough, it was PB. He was very pleasant, and made comment about the nice weather, and "I see you are a fan?". I had a program, and outside of stumbling comments like "sir, you are a legend", asked if he would kindly sign it. At that moment, Elbert Woods was coming back down the path in the opposite direction. PB kiddingly asked me "why would you want mine...that guy's (Woods) is worth 10 times more?", All three of us had a laugh, and we all moved on.

Still have that program.  

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I would go a lot back then too. I have a lot of fun interaction stories with players and coaches--they were so accessible back then--but my favorite will always be my 5-minute one-on-one with the Old Man himself. 

They used to use certain pathways from the college dorms/cafeteria buildings to the practice fields. These would get jammed with people waiting for the players to walk back, so was always a push to see people. This happenstance occurred during TC of 1989--the year after SB 23. I had been wandering about after one morning practice and the crowds had cleared out. I was walking along one of those paths towards the cafeteria building, when I noticed an older fellow in a straw hat walking along the same path. Came up alongside, and sure enough, it was PB. He was very pleasant, and made comment about the nice weather, and "I see you are a fan?". I had a program, and outside of stumbling comments like "sir, you are a legend", asked if he would kindly sign it. At that moment, Elbert Woods was coming back down the path in the opposite direction. PB kiddingly asked me "why would you want mine...that guy's (Woods) is worth 10 times more?", All three of us had a laugh, and we all moved on.

Still have that program.  

...and then he joined the team upstairs.

Archived