Cordell Volson on with Jim Rome

That was a great, awesome interview.  What a tremendous awesome guy.  One of the best interviews with the best guy. I've always been a fan.  What awesome questions and great answers in that amazing interview. Incredible, incredible guy. I am a golden god.

-Rome, probably.

22 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So wtf is he holding out, anyone figured that one out yet? I don’t get it. 

He's not holding out. He has attended voluntary camps and has not said a single bad word about the situation. I'm sure whatever it is will be fixed in time for training camp. If he doesn't show up then, he would be holding out.

That's a bit silly on Volson's agent's part though. Pierce was selected 25 picks ahead of Volson. The Bengals only have a certain amount left in their rookie pool so they can't pay more than that and presumably have offered it as they can't use it for anything else. 

The Texans contract for Pierce might explain the next guy or two wanting more. It shouldn't have anything to do with Volson though. He was picked late in the round. The Bengals have already signed their other draft picks and the undrafted rookie free agents they wanted. So he can't get more than 100% of the remaining rookie pool and I'm sure the team has offered it to him. If Volson's agent is demanding a guaranteed contract or something like that, he's way out of line and hurting his client. 

11 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Volson is likely holding out for less money as he wants to be paid in railroad nails and tins of Skoal. 

But I'm not worried. Carman will be carrying his pads at practice by week 4, if not sooner.

Maybe, just maybe, there will be real competition for a spot on our OL.  Wouldn't that be something?

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Volson is likely holding out for less money as he wants to be paid in railroad nails and tins of Skoal. 

But I'm not worried. Carman will be carrying his pads at practice by week 4, if not sooner.

The Cincinnati staff believes that Carman is a far better fit on the left side than the right. It is the main reason that Spain wasn't resigned. Volson will be competing at a new position, and obviously his level of competition wasn't great. I also believe Volson is more of a road grader than a pass protector at this young stage of his career. I think he will take some time to develop into a starter type, maybe by his second year.

Archived