Realistic O-Line expectations? (again?, lol, yes)

On 6/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, SF2 said:

In their defense they took Cedric Ogebuehi and Jake Fisher 1 and 2 in 2015.  Busts.  

Not to be to nit-picky, but didn't Jake Fisher have an undiagnosed heart problem that made him unable to play football at a high level?

Ced, on the other hand, was a human turnstile.

This may have been posted so I apologize if so, but from The Athletic....

PFF has the Bengals O-Line at 8 to start the year. What is a realistic expectation for this group (assuming its health isn’t a major issue throughout the season)? Top 10? Top 15? No donkeys? — MB85
As important a question as you’ll find for the development of the 2022 Bengals, but it’s tough to say. So much of the time, injuries play a role in determining when offensive lines end up in the bottom quarter of the league or the top.
The good news is the depth should also be improved this year due to the snaps players like Isaiah Prince and Jackson Carman received last year, as well as the arrival of fourth-round pick Cordell Volson and last year’s fourth-round pick D’Ante Smith.
As for the starters, it’s realistic to see them landing in the top 10.
Take look back at the top 10 from PFF last season. Of those finishing 6-10 (Commanders, Rams, Browns, Patriots, Chargers) each team except the Patriots had at least two of their starting five grading the bottom half of the league at their position. You do not need five above-average players to become an overall top-10 offensive line.
The Bengals project to have four above-average starters and whatever comes of the left guard position.
PFF blocking grade in 2021 (league median 71.0, min 700 snaps)
 Jonah Williams: 74.5
 Ted Karras: 72.4
 Alex Cappa: 71.3
• La’el Collins: 80.2
There’s an inherent variability with three players coming from different teams and different systems to work with offensive line coach Frank Pollack and the Bengals. Will their performance translate in a different environment? Hard to know for sure. Offensive line is among the most dependent on those around you in the entire game. The Bengals obviously think the transition will be smooth and all are clear upgrades at their positions.
By the way, PFF ranked the Bengals’ offensive line 20th overall in their regular-season rankings. Moving up 10 spots is hardly out of the question given the improved level of expectation.
The Bengals did focus on adding players with high reliability rates and that’s shown itself thus far, with Pollack’s relationship with Collins an enhancer on knowing what to expect from the talented right tackle.
It would be difficult but not impossible to see them viewed as a top-five offensive line, but anywhere in the next 10 spots feels about right for where they should land assuming no major injury issues.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jamie_B said:

This may have been posted so I apologize if so, but from The Athletic....

PFF has the Bengals O-Line at 8 to start the year. What is a realistic expectation for this group (assuming its health isn’t a major issue throughout the season)? Top 10? Top 15? No donkeys? — MB85
As important a question as you’ll find for the development of the 2022 Bengals, but it’s tough to say. So much of the time, injuries play a role in determining when offensive lines end up in the bottom quarter of the league or the top.
The good news is the depth should also be improved this year due to the snaps players like Isaiah Prince and Jackson Carman received last year, as well as the arrival of fourth-round pick Cordell Volson and last year’s fourth-round pick D’Ante Smith.
As for the starters, it’s realistic to see them landing in the top 10.
Take look back at the top 10 from PFF last season. Of those finishing 6-10 (Commanders, Rams, Browns, Patriots, Chargers) each team except the Patriots had at least two of their starting five grading the bottom half of the league at their position. You do not need five above-average players to become an overall top-10 offensive line.
The Bengals project to have four above-average starters and whatever comes of the left guard position.
PFF blocking grade in 2021 (league median 71.0, min 700 snaps)
 Jonah Williams: 74.5
 Ted Karras: 72.4
 Alex Cappa: 71.3
• La’el Collins: 80.2
There’s an inherent variability with three players coming from different teams and different systems to work with offensive line coach Frank Pollack and the Bengals. Will their performance translate in a different environment? Hard to know for sure. Offensive line is among the most dependent on those around you in the entire game. The Bengals obviously think the transition will be smooth and all are clear upgrades at their positions.
By the way, PFF ranked the Bengals’ offensive line 20th overall in their regular-season rankings. Moving up 10 spots is hardly out of the question given the improved level of expectation.
The Bengals did focus on adding players with high reliability rates and that’s shown itself thus far, with Pollack’s relationship with Collins an enhancer on knowing what to expect from the talented right tackle.
It would be difficult but not impossible to see them viewed as a top-five offensive line, but anywhere in the next 10 spots feels about right for where they should land assuming no major injury issues.

i think this is something i overlook.

and it comes from lack of deeper knowledge, did these guys all come from different blocking schemes that fit their skillset?

it would be really odd for the bengals to overlook something so important, so i guess i just assume the current front office isnt that dense to just pick guys to bring in. and taylor and pollack seem very detail oriented, so seems like close to 0% chance.

so i guess its kinda like they stated it but the question really ONLY can be "was there something in their old team or system that allowed them to succeed that is NOT available on the current team/system?

seems unlikely.

cant wait to find out.

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i think this is something i overlook.

and it comes from lack of deeper knowledge, did these guys all come from different blocking schemes that fit their skillset?

it would be really odd for the bengals to overlook something so important, so i guess i just assume the current front office isnt that dense to just pick guys to bring in. and taylor and pollack seem very detail oriented, so seems like close to 0% chance.

so i guess its kinda like they stated it but the question really ONLY can be "was there something in their old team or system that allowed them to succeed that is NOT available on the current team/system?

seems unlikely.

cant wait to find out.

They talked about one of the things the Bengals have done differently than in years past is scouting potential FAs as well, so I agree I don't think its going to be an issue.

5 hours ago, membengal said:

I know there were a few on here still saying Jonah is a disappointment, but man is he sharp and understands the position. Glad we have him. 

I'd like to see him take the next step and really start to dominate weaker opponents but I'm honestly fine with him being solidly average for now. 

Archived