Something We Will Have to Worry About Soon

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

It may be smart to get Burrow (and others) done sooner than later the way these salaries are exploding.  

Beat writers like Dehner and Hobson clearly have sources both in the coaching staff and the front office. Both of those guys seem absolutely convinced that getting Burrow signed to an extension to a long-term contract as soon as legally possible is their top 2023 offseason priority. While I may have doubts about other key players extended, I don't have any doubt that the front office will move heaven and earth to get Burrow's done early.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:10 PM, dex said:

Beat writers like Dehner and Hobson clearly have sources both in the coaching staff and the front office. Both of those guys seem absolutely convinced that getting Burrow signed to an extension to a long-term contract as soon as legally possible is their top 2023 offseason priority. While I may have doubts about other key players extended, I don't have any doubt that the front office will move heaven and earth to get Burrow's done early.

agreed, and burrow, like MOST others will gladly snag that triple millions in guaranteed money to set him for for several lifetimes. not that its a discount, but as mentioned, its just one year sooner on the QB pay wagon.

I would like teams to learn a lesson on QB pay, the wilson current deal is fine since that defense is young and cheap, but like in seattle, only sooner in his stint, as those contracts come up, theyll have to decide between the defense and the QB. frankly they should choose the defense. Wilson is a QB who needs a great defense to give him extra chances i think i said before, Greg Cosell one year during wilsons peak had him rated as the QB with the most net negative plays in the NFL, meaning he skipped a throw or scramble that would be a near guarantee positive play to try to make a bigger better one, and would get sacked big or throw it away instead of taking the 5 yard scramble or the 7 yard screen, and he did that more times than anyone else in the league. but the highlights never show that, so everyone loved him but he was boom or bust, never in between, never managing a drive. 

On 6/16/2022 at 3:55 AM, gupps said:

But will there be enough to sign everybody? Probably (most definately) not. I think what you have to do is what the Patriots did and convince players to take less money for a chance at a ring. That's a tough sell.

Sure, at some point the team will have to make choices. I don't think Tyler will get a 3rd contract. That's one of the reasons I wanted them to draft a WR in the mid rounds this year. IMO Mixon is unlikely to play out his current contract, his production is too replaceable. Reader likely won't get a new deal at his current rate. Bates will be gone after 2022. Chase won't be a free agent until 2026 so they can wait 3 years for his new deal. They can (and should) wait a couple on Burrow too. He's the most important player on the team but I don't see him forcing his way to the head of the line. 

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

Performance wouldn't worry me when deciding if Burrow is worth the risk.  Health might.

Maybe, but after the beating he took last season I think it's safe to say he's not some Tyler Eifert that's going to break an ankle watching film.  Sure he could get hurt again but he's no more likely than anyone.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, at some point the team will have to make choices. I don't think Tyler will get a 3rd contract. That's one of the reasons I wanted them to draft a WR in the mid rounds this year. IMO Mixon is unlikely to play out his current contract, his production is too replaceable. Reader likely won't get a new deal at his current rate. Bates will be gone after 2022. Chase won't be a free agent until 2026 so they can wait 3 years for his new deal. They can (and should) wait a couple on Burrow too. He's the most important player on the team but I don't see him forcing his way to the head of the line. 

agree with all but mixon, mixon is off the books before anyone huge hits, and his cost isnt much, there is dead money in his last year, i think they rathe pay him 10mil to play than pay 2.5 for him to not be here (cap wise). his total hit is 13mil that year... thats nothing, after that i assume they hope evans is good to go or new drafted guy is good to go and move on unless performance changes. performance wise, wasnt mixon tops in the AFC for RB? saying thats easily replaceable is a bit much, IMO. but ill agree RB in general isnt tough to find solid ones.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe, but after the beating he took last season I think it's safe to say he's not some Tyler Eifert that's going to break an ankle watching film.  Sure he could get hurt again but he's no more likely than anyone.

agreed here.

Mixon was rated 14th overall by PFF for last year. He averaged 4.1 ypc which is about league average. I'd expect some improvement in that with a better line this year. He's going into the 2nd season of his 4 year deal but I'll bet he doesn't see year 4. RB is a young man's position and I'd expect the Bengals to draft 1 in the first 4 rounds next year or 2024. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon was rated 14th overall by PFF for last year. 

This is a meaningless number,  It's like saying he was ranked the 3rd coolest guy named Joe by people wearing sandals.  

Stats that actually mean something:

• 3rd in rushing yards
  • 4th in TD's
  • 5th in first downs
  • 6th in yards per game

All of which was done behind arguably the worst OL in the NFL.  That's impressive.

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon was rated 14th overall by PFF for last year. He averaged 4.1 ypc which is about league average. I'd expect some improvement in that with a better line this year. He's going into the 2nd season of his 4 year deal but I'll bet he doesn't see year 4. RB is a young man's position and I'd expect the Bengals to draft 1 in the first 4 rounds next year or 2024. 

he was 3rd in yards and 4th in TD's... and sat out the last game on reg season..... gonna toss him above average.

9 hours ago, GoBengals said:

he was 3rd in yards and 4th in TD's... and sat out the last game on reg season..... gonna toss him above average.

The reality is the difference between a good RB and average RB isn’t very significant and average RBs are readily available.  

The difference between a top 5 QB and average QB is the difference between playing in a Super Bowl (JB)  and missing the playoffs.  

It is a huge drop off and good QBs  are rare.  This year was the first time I ever remember more than one good QB moving although one of them has a massage issue.   

The number of teams in extended QB hell are numerous.  Miami,  Cleveland, and the Rams (before Stafford)  to name 3.  

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, 14th overall is above average. But it's also not that hard to replace. 

Measuring a RB without considering who was blocking in front of him is silly.  Mixon has top talent, and if the revamped OL creates more holes for Mixon I think you'll see a big jump in his production.  On the other hand Mixon has some miles on him.  I would agree that drafting another RB in the next year or two is prudent, unless you think Evans can carry the load.  I think Evans is more of a third down/passing down back.  Hope he gets more snaps this season especially if the Bengals can get some big leads.  Less wear and tear on Mixon will be good come playoff time.

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, 14th overall is above average. But it's also not that hard to replace. 

14th overall what? Most favorite in the PFF Discord?

Again, PFF ratings don't mean shit.  You're right though, they aren't hard to replace since they never meant anything in the first place.

Archived