Flooding in Montana and Wyoming

I don’t know how many of you know where I live.  Not too far from Yellowstone.

There is a ton of flooding in a number of communities around here.  If any of you were planning to go to YNP this year, my guess would be that you need to make some other plans.…posting some vids in a moment.

edit:  We have tons of Billionaires (yes a B) and millionaires moving to Montana (thanks Kevin Costner and Covid).  The sad this is most of the people affected are going to be working class folks that rely on tourisms dollars to survive.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Montana Bengal said:

I don’t know how many of you know where I live.  Not too far from Yellowstone.

There is a ton of flooding in a number of communities around here.  If any of you were planning to go to YNP this year, my guess would be that you need to make some other plans.…posting some vids in a moment.

edit:  We have tons of Billionaires (yes a B) and millionaires moving to Montana (thanks Kevin Costner and Covid).  

& Ted Turner & Peter Fonda before him.  Tons of rich dudes wanting to play at cowboy until the snow starts falling.

Speaking of Costner, started watching the Yellowstone series and was surprised to learn Bozeman had turned into Juarez.  There's more shooting per episode than Sopranos or The Wire 😆  Entertaining trash TV but trash TV it most definitely is...

anyway stuff like this always seems to hit harder there - for all the new money in the state the social safety nets almost nonexistent.  The middle class in most of the mountain west seems razor thin.

Damn - my kid was just there less than 2 weeks ago, Utah to Montana trip for college looking for rocks and fossils. They got to go to Yellowstone one day when they weren't working, right about the time the news reported about the lady getting gored.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, T-Dub said:

& Ted Turner & Peter Fonda before him.  Tons of rich dudes wanting to play at cowboy until the snow starts falling.

Speaking of Costner, started watching the Yellowstone series and was surprised to learn Bozeman had turned into Juarez.  There's more shooting per episode than Sopranos or The Wire 😆  Entertaining trash TV but trash TV it most definitely is...

anyway stuff like this always seems to hit harder there - for all the new money in the state the social safety nets almost nonexistent.  The middle class in most of the mountain west seems razor thin.

it does seems like there is more of an influx than there was before.  The yellowstone club has definitely changed the area around Bozeman. I remember when A River Runs through it hot and there was a noticeable change.  95ish the town went from cowtown to skiing and snowboarding,  There are more direct flights coming in.  Can’t afford to live in Seattle?  Work remotely from Bozeman and hope a flight if you have a meeting.  I have a friend that works with stream/ponds etc on private property.  His latest client bought 30 acres.  He wasn’t sure if he was going to keep the property for 6 months or a year.  He was going to see what he thought of the area.  Most for these folks mention 1) Costner or 2) Yellowstone within a few minutes of arriving and starting to check out properties. I have watched a little of the show.  Can’t believe people eat it up.  Gives the impression that it is the Wild West out here.  At least I don’t live in Northern Idaho.

Yellowstone is one of my very favorite places on the planet. I first visited in ‘88 with my favorite aunt (yes, during the fires), we took our honeymoon there, our 10 year anniversary, and our final vacation in the U.S. before we left was Yellowstone. It breaks my heart to see the devastation, and the poor workers; it’s tough for normal people to live there on the regular, and this is going to gut their livelihoods. 

9 hours ago, Elflocko said:

Yellowstone is one of my very favorite places on the planet. I first visited in ‘88 with my favorite aunt (yes, during the fires), we took our honeymoon there, our 10 year anniversary, and our final vacation in the U.S. before we left was Yellowstone. It breaks my heart to see the devastation, and the poor workers; it’s tough for normal people to live there on the regular, and this is going to gut their livelihoods. 

I love driving the Beartooth highway.  Sadly Cooke City and Red Lodge go hit pretty hard as well.  Apparently they are trying to fast track repairing some of the roads in the Northern part of the Park in order to get it open soon.  I hope that they actually have a plan to fix things more permanently.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:52 AM, Montana Bengal said:

I love driving the Beartooth highway.  Sadly Cooke City and Red Lodge go hit pretty hard as well.  Apparently they are trying to fast track repairing some of the roads in the Northern part of the Park in order to get it open soon.  I hope that they actually have a plan to fix things more permanently.

On the one hand I hope so, yet on the other the idea of giving the whole Yellowstone ecosystem a year off from tourists sounds like it could be a good thing.  Look at how it bounced back after the fires...  No lack of public lands around there for people to explore & Ystone can feel like a safari park on a busy day.

Archived