Joe Burrow Meet & Greet Today

My son and I flew in for the meet and greet today, it was at the Westin downtown.

Had him sign a painting, superbowl ticket stub, rookie card, and an orange limited nike jersey. I ll post pics of the items tomorrow or in a few days, i shipped the painting back to my house today already.

Here are some pics from the event.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great pics😎 

How do these events work exactly (I'm curious)? Do people pay a fee (how much) and get a certain amount of time with him or items signed etc? How many people do you think took part? I've never been to something like this before. 

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Great pics😎 

How do these events work exactly (I'm curious)? Do people pay a fee (how much) and get a certain amount of time with him or items signed etc? How many people do you think took part? I've never been to something like this before. 

there are many ways these events CAN happen. This one is a private meet and greet. It was $5,000. That $5000 gets you the meet and greet, pro photos, photos with your phone, and 4 items signed. Before the event you get a questionnaire about the items and inscription requests, etc. You are given the time and location of the event (Westin Hotel in Cincy).  Show up, they have you put your items in a room on a table, for this day of this event (there were two days it was offered) there were 6-7 pairs of people, you could do up to 2 people.  so then they put joe in the room and bring each pair in solo so its just you and joe (and a photographer and the coordinator and the handler for Joe.) 

Its a pretty funny thing to watch from the outside i assume, a bunch of fans chatting about football, given an order theyll go in, everytime the door opens everyone looks over like an expecting father wondering if their newborn is next, and they get nodded in and prance over like school kids and go in. lol

Joe also had an entire Ballroom full of merchandise to sign, so we saw him there way before the event in the room signing away. PILES of merchandise. and this was day two of it all, so id guess he has signed 2500 items this week for Fanantics/SportsMemorabilia(same company).

He is a Fanatics exclusive athlete, so id guess he is paid 3-5million a year, and has to give up X amount of gameballs, cleats, jerseys, and sign X amount of events, including probably 1-2 of these per year. I know for a fact this is at least his second signing for them this year. so i assume 4x a year he has to sign piles of shit.

if someone wants to have joe come sign, i found that price is $100k. to fanatics. and they limit how many autographs can be sold for the event. This was a fanatics event.

I was called by my fanatics rep, who i buy many of the game used jerseys from, about it. Originally they sold it with game used footballs and it was $15k, $20k, or $25k with game used football included. I passed. I bought a game used rookie year football for $7000 last year, so I had one.

So we have about 5 minutes with him. walked in, shoot hands, as he always does he said "hi, im joe" which has to be amusing for him at this point, like yea man, i paid $5,000 to be here i know who you are.

asked where we were from, small talk, we talked about traveling to games last year and how it was fun for my son and I, etc..

then one of the handlers, moves the attention to the items he has to sign, and walks through each one proper pen, placement, inscription, etc. then the other handlers moves you to pics, "oohh lets get some photos guys" lol, they are all very good at what they do there.

so the pics i posted are from my phone, a real photographer was there, so we will get printed 8x10 of a few pics and all of the digital originals he took as well.

this event is way way overpriced, but joe is at his peak popularity. I was offered a slightly cooler event for tom brady in march, it was $25,000, got you meet him, catch a pass from him on the field, THROW a pass to Gronk, get pics from both, each would sign the ball you caught and then the one you threw, have pics of catching it/throwing it. and then an after party with huge sponsor who gave you gifts. I declined. but that would be cool.

other types of events are:

Private signing: ship in items, pay a fee, theyll have it signed as requested, and shit it back with authentication and sometimes a photo of him signing it. this is most common for someone as big as Burrow.

Public signing, essentially what i mentioned above, someone pays the fee, sells autograph tickets hoping to make a profit or break even and get hella shit signed. Fanatics would send a person to autograph count, to ensure the player isnt "overworked".

This event i did wanst made public, it was just offered to the clients on the game used/spends money/bengals fan list from fanatics. I dont know how many people did it day 1. so it was the same crowd size, they got 16 people to pay $5,000, it could have been way bigger, but id guess theyd cap it at 25 pairs a day, or something similar. Joe aint trying to shake hands like the president all day.

I thought about going or not, but living in colorado my odds of meeting joe, shaking his hand, and having this type of moment was unlikely, so i figured fuck it, my kid and I will remember this forever.

Burrow is a real life superhero, he commands a room just walking through it, he walked across the hall before the event, every conversation stopped, 16 heads turned and stared, that has to be strange for him. He is the most athletic dude i have ever seen.

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Your sprout is a tall one there, Pop. Great looking lad! 

thanks! my friend said "you cant tell how tall Joe is because everyone in this pic is so tall" im 6'2", my kid is 5'11" joe is 6'4".

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Great pics and thanks for posting.  That painting is off the scale spectacular.

thanks! it turned out awesome, cant wait to open it up and check it out, i ddnt much see it after he signed it, i boxed it back up and took it straight to shipping store after. 

I fly back home today, eager to get everything framed. graded, protected, etc.

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

as he always does he said "hi, im joe" which has to be amusing for him at this point, like yea man, i paid $5,000 to be here i know who you are.

Would be pretty funny to walk in and approach some bald middle-aged handler wearing a lanyard then act all confused when they correct you

"Nah... Are you sure?"

..and that's one more reason I probably don't get invited to these things

13 hours ago, GoBengals said:

I thought about going or not, but living in colorado my odds of meeting joe, shaking his hand, and having this type of moment was unlikely, so i figured fuck it, my kid and I will remember this forever.

Thanks, I appreciate the thorough explanation. I am glad you and your son were able to make such a special memory. The money comes and goes, but your son will still recall meeting Burrow (multi SB Champion and Hall of Famer) when he's 60. 

13 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Burrow is a real life superhero, he commands a room just walking through it

Any other observations from meeting him? Were you star struck at all / nervous? Did you feel like you kinda knew him already, since we come to feel like we know these public figures who we live vicariously through.

22 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Thanks, I appreciate the thorough explanation. I am glad you and your son were able to make such a special memory. The money comes and goes, but your son will still recall meeting Burrow (multi SB Champion and Hall of Famer) when he's 60. 

Any other observations from meeting him? Were you star struck at all / nervous? Did you feel like you kinda knew him already, since we come to feel like we know these public figures who we live vicariously through.

i have had a hard time describing this. 

firstly, I have met 100+ athletes. I worked in music a bit, so met some high end musicians in my younger time as well. So aside from once or twice I have never been nervous meeting famous people. 

so no nerves. 

now…. Joe is by far the most athletic person I have ever seen in person. 

a good friend of mine works in the nba. I have spent 10-20 days with full media credentials and locker room access which I just sat in player family area never went into locker rooms but full access. And chatted with several players. 7’ dudes. Whoever. 

but Joe is the most fit human I have ever seen with my eyes in person. 

I don’t know how to describe it. He looks like he could play any sports and be great. 

if you didn’t know and I said that’s tennis star joe burrow. He looks like a tennis star. If I said that’s baseball left fielder joe burrow, he looks like he is a baseball star. if I said that’s nba star joe burrow, that looks like an nba player. 

He doesn’t look like a qb. He looks like an athlete. 

he fucking glides across the room. I’m really not trying to sound any sort of way. 

im 41 years old. I have never seen a guy who has had this magnetism for no reason. 

actually Mike Tyson does. Mike Tyson has me like a nervous 20 yr old when I met him 4-5 years ago. 

joe burrow is the Mike Tyson of 25 year old quarterbacks. 

and he has the personality of a polished politician only he is actually sincere. 

shits wild. He is an impressive person. 

he would be a great success at anything he would ever try. 

I want to meet his parents. 

how the fuck do you create this? 

21 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

he fucking glides across the room. I’m really not trying to sound any sort of way. 

Actually know what you mean, I've met a couple of ppl like this.  One a dancer that used to come to our events & another some kind of SF spook operator dude that was a regular at my last job.  Both seemed to have a different relation with gravity than most people, like when they decided to move the Earth turned underneath them.  Just normally crossing a room too, not doing anything special at all.  Total, effortless control. It was honestly pretty freaky if you really paid attention to it.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Actually know what you mean, I've met a couple of ppl like this.  One a dancer that used to come to our events & another some kind of SF spook operator dude that was a regular at my last job.  Both seemed to have a different relation with gravity than most people, like when they decided to move the Earth turned underneath them.  Just normally crossing a room too, not doing anything special at all.  Total, effortless control. It was honestly pretty freaky if you really paid attention to it.  

yes. Exactly. Such an odd thing. 

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

yes. Exactly. Such an odd thing. 

Every human is assembled differently, that is what makes each and every one of us unique. ..and not simply physical either. 

My bet is that Joe’s parents and siblings are totally different ability people. I look at the Manning brothers—two were similar good-to-great footballers, the other was moderate. But even Peyton and Eli were different. 

I can easily take apart a legal argument, and formulate responses. My brother cannot. But, then again, I would never hope to be able to as easily glide through putting together tax and estate planning as he does. 

No point really, just my belief that everyone possesses different skills than do others. And that is a very good thing. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:38 PM, GoBengals said:

He doesn’t look like a qb. He looks like an athlete. 

I have never seen a guy who has had this magnetism for no reason. 

I have seen some interviews from Joe's elementary school coach who said he was making the same kind of plays even then, so I think a certain degree of it is related to just natural innate talent physically and mentally (genetics) and early opportunities to grow and shine (coaches son), which he then combined with an obsessive work ethic. Mentally, I get 'savant' / high-end spectrum vibes off of him as well, like he's seeing the field and coverages in a virtuoso type of way. 

As for being an athlete, I also think it's interesting that Burrow's first love was basketball and that he was an all-state player in that as well (so was Higgins). And I think the Bengals coaches propensity to look at basketball players is because they have correctly calculated that todays fast paced NFL is about lateral movement in space, and basketball expertly prepares a person for the kind of footwork needed to be a good NFL player. In the old NFL they used to prefer taking tall stiff baseball pitchers and making them QBs (Elway), but now I think basketball is just as ripe an arena. I always think of the fact that many sports writers say Allen Iverson was the best High School QB they had ever seen, and he came from the same area as Michael Vick (and was said to be even better than him).  

As for Burrow's magnetism and charisma, I think that is the final ingredient and secret sauce to his success. Since the NFL is filled with good athletes, strong arms, guys who study a lot etc ... the one thing that separates good QBs from great ones is if men mentally want to be led by you and take confidence in your presence and feel you can elevate them and make them better. I think his aura rubs off on others around him, which is why he has won at every level.

Just look at the difference between Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Both national champions and taken #1. Trevor is taller by 2 inches and bigger. So one would think has more to work with. But what he lacks is the moxie and "I want to be around this guy" invisible magic "It" that Burrow has. It can't be learned, or faked, or transferred to others. You simply either have it or don't (less than 1% of the population likely does). The Bengals hit the lottery by having the #1 pick at the absolute perfect once-in-a-generation time.

21 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Just look at the difference between Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Both national champions and taken #1. Trevor is taller by 2 inches and bigger. So one would think has more to work with. But what he lacks is the moxie and "I want to be around this guy" invisible magic "It" that Burrow has. It can't be learned, or faked, or transferred to others. You simply either have it or don't (less than 1% of the population likely does). The Bengals hit the lottery by having the #1 pick at the absolute perfect once-in-a-generation time.

On that note Carson Palmer comes to mind.  Pre-injury he was the model of an NFL QB.  There's an alternate timeline where that guy is a 3 time SB MVP, first ballot HoF'er & probably running for Governor of California.  He had that kind of trajectory but I never felt like the team was fully behind him.

Archived